The Truth about sailing in The Canaries.

nortada

Visit site
Another sock puppet! Hiding behind his anonymity. I reckon that the mods should root out the recent joiners with no info in their bio, a dead giveaway. In fact I reckon that it should be mandatory to give bio info to be allowed to join.
Come on Mods, how about it? It would ease the pain of modding, they would be less eager to be a warrior if they knew they were traceable!
Stu

Interesting idea Stu.

Unfortunately, as you know the forum resides in never-never land so how would you insure that the bio info provided wasn't a complete load of garbage?

BACK TO TOPIC.

I understand that like Gib, CI, IOM etc, The Canaries are not full members of the EU? So how is the 183 day rule applied to residents and boats (in Portugal people and boats are treated differently) and of course VAT status. Again, since the T2L saga, in Portugal VAT status has become a sensitive topic.

Other than the boat (currently in Portugal), we have no interests outside the UK and moving around the EU we make sure that we never exceed the 183 day rule. We retain our UK status and keep the boat SSR registered. I have as ICC - it seems to work for us.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Charge a very small fee to access forum .Name address card details.

Now you really living in la-la land. How would this 'fee' be paid? Beyond name credit cards carry no personal details so there would be an additional application form

The YBW Forum would become history over-night.

Rather than on this thread, perhaps this topic should form the basis of a new thread in another place (The Lounge or possibly Forum News and Feedback)?

Last edited:

Mee

N/A
Visit site
BTW, to those who told me that boats were not being impounded, perhaps read this article - admittedly I have not checked up on the 'facts' of the article yet, but it is not the first time I have read about it, nor heard about it by word of mouth

Edit: Please note this article seems to have been written 17/01/2010 - so is likely well out of date

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/articles/1657/living-on-board-in-spainbe-warned-

Last edited:

Mee

N/A
Visit site
Another sock puppet! Hiding behind his anonymity. I reckon that the mods should root out the recent joiners with no info in their bio, a dead giveaway. In fact I reckon that it should be mandatory to give bio info to be allowed to join.
Come on Mods, how about it? It would ease the pain of modding, they would be less eager to be a warrior if they knew they were traceable!
Stu

And you're registed on the electoral role as Skipper Stu? Shouting off at me and calling me a Sock Puppet? Kinda makes you my keyboard warrior equal then I guess.

The majority of forum members don't complete their profile, so yeah, delete anyone who hasn't filled in their bits and bobs. Coupled with charging for membership this is going to be one lively forum :D

Mee

N/A
Visit site
Not sure there is enough interest in the Canaries to merit its own forum?

A Canaries AND Med Forum would have more than enough people to warrant it. Or should I post this in the Brexit forum?

Surely if Brexit can have a forum, so can users from The Canaries, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy etc...

nortada

Visit site
Not sure there is enough interest in the Canaries to merit its own forum? But thanks for the comments!

Can't comment on the interest level for a Canaries Forum; my original thought was an Iberian Forum, including The Canaries, Madeira, Cape Verde's and The Azores.

However, having followed recent posts it is apparent that all countries are subject to the same EU law (not sure about The Azores), it is increasingly apparent the differences are so great that a common forum probably wouldn't work.

Any thoughts?

Tranona

Visit site
BTW, to those who told me that boats were not being impounded, perhaps read this article - admittedly I have not checked up on the 'facts' of the article yet, but it is not the first time I have read about it, nor heard about it by word of mouth

Edit: Please note this article seems to have been written 17/01/2010 - so is likely well out of date

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/articles/1657/living-on-board-in-spainbe-warned-

As usual you need to know the background and the details. That was good Daily Mail stuff and involved a small number of people and boats who were openly breaking the law by living permanently on their boats in Spain without becoming resident. They (and many others) had got away with it for years until the change in law that required those spending more than 183 days in Spain had to import their boats.

If you had been on this forum during that period (2010-2013) you would have been fully informed (and misinformed!) as the story unfolded.

As you will have seen from other posts this was all clarified in 2011 when the law was changed as a result of an EU investigation into the Spanish tax regime for boats, the upshot of which both the capn and I have posted which sets out the new rules.

To summarise on becoming resident you have to import your boat paying the 12% matriculation tax (supposedly a "green" tax) - at a reduced rate based on valuation if you do it promptly and there is no need to register on the Spanish register.

This would have been possible for the transgressors, but (perhaps because of the confusion at the time) they decided to be seen as victims of a dastardly Spanish plot. Did not get a lot of sympathy from those in the know!

capnsensible

Visit site
I say again, this year I have personally imported 2 yachts into the Canary Islands. I am happy to provide contact details and procedure by PM only.

I am not interested whatsoever in the trolls and will not feed them.

capnsensible

Visit site
Can't comment on the interest level for a Canaries Forum; my original thought was an Iberian Forum, including The Canaries, Madeira, Cape Verde's and The Azores.

However, having followed recent posts it is apparent that all countries are subject to the same EU law (not sure about The Azores), it is increasingly apparent the differences are so great that a common forum probably wouldn't work.

Any thoughts?

That's an idea that might have the numbers of people to make it interesting.

Can help a bit with Azores and Cape Verdes although a bit out of date. Up until late last year helped to amend and publish a pilot guide for the Gib Straits, Cadiz to Malaga.

Can also mention a poor agent for Panama Canal transits, how to legally pit stop in the Galapagos and where to find a cheap hotel in Tahiti!

Heckler

Visit site
And you're registed on the electoral role as Skipper Stu? Shouting off at me and calling me a Sock Puppet? Kinda makes you my keyboard warrior equal then I guess.

The majority of forum members don't complete their profile, so yeah, delete anyone who hasn't filled in their bits and bobs. Coupled with charging for membership this is going to be one lively forum :D

Glad to see you recognize what a sock puppet is then.
Stu