The realities of dinghy cruising?

The Q

Visit site
I've towed the Lysander 17 I had from Norfolk to the outer Hebrides and back via at different times Northumberland and the Firth of Forth.( 1300c front wheel drive car)
It's just a foot longer than a wayfarer but has two berths and a cabin..
They've sailed them to the outer Hebridies from Oban , so are quite capable when choosing the right weather.

Should you choose there are plenty of launching places in any of the above areas. I had a long anchor rope, if the slipway seemed to slippery or too steep I'd lower the boat and trailer in or recover the trailer and boat with the car on the flat ground above the slipway and the trailer on the end of the anchor rope.

DownWest

Visit site
I've towed the Lysander 17 I had from Norfolk to the outer Hebrides and back via at different times Northumberland and the Firth of Forth.( 1300c front wheel drive car)
It's just a foot longer than a wayfarer but has two berths and a cabin..
They've sailed them to the outer Hebridies from Oban , so are quite capable when choosing the right weather.

Should you choose there are plenty of launching places in any of the above areas. I had a long anchor rope, if the slipway seemed to slippery or too steep I'd lower the boat and trailer in or recover the trailer and boat with the car on the flat ground above the slipway and the trailer on the end of the anchor rope.
Another useful trick is to have second hitch on a sliding tube that gives you an extra 3 mtr trailer 'length' for launching. Easier when single handed.

Wansworth

Visit site
Hard floor, crick neck and sore elbows. My memory of crusing an XOD a couple of seasons ago. Moved to a corribee cause it’s got more home comforts. Some may say it’s basic. Compared to the keelboat it’s a palace.
I knew a Mexican who bought an XOD that had been converted with a little cabin by friends in Bosham…….back in 1972…nice weekender

Wansworth

Visit site
And I belive I know the current owners, if that was Myrtle. Converted back to class legal.
Don’t recall the name unfortunately,wouldn’t have taken much to revert back…Had another mate called Clive who was a good x boat helmsman and he used to do varnishing and stuff over in Bosham again a while back

PhillM

Visit site
Amber. I was taking her back into the racing fleet when my then-partner got Breast Cancer (my wife died of the same a few years earlier) so I gave her to the fleet captain. She has since been passed on post cowes and is looking for a new owner.

PhillM

Visit site
Don’t recall the name unfortunately,wouldn’t have taken much to revert back…Had another mate called Clive who was a good x boat helmsman and he used to do varnishing and stuff over in Bosham again a while back
Mine was 159 Amber. Got from Haines boat yard and kept within racing regs. Now in the the Hamble fleet.