The Question that no one wants to ask...

No Regrets

Visit site
'Merdeway' lol....

I would work them myself. I just drop SWMBO off, and she operates while I helm.

Easier frankly... :p

TrueBlue

Visit site
It's not what I would do (that's much the same as some of the above)

but more what would the vast majority of boaters do, especially those who hardly ever venture out of their marinas?

Flynnbarr

Visit site
What will you do personally if there are no longer any lockeepers to man locks.?

Hope for a reduction in charges down to the levels of other EA waterways..haha:)

Realistically.....lack of lockies isn't a problem,think I am just about able to push a few buttons! but maybe Medway beckons for me,no BSS,no licence,cheap moorings,Bigger horizons and maybe a 1/2 week jolly on The Thames at cheapo visitor rates.

teddington_lock

Visit site
Honestly guys.

A lot of lockies read this forum, it will hearten them to know that they are held in such high regard. :(

A bit of support would go a long way. We aren't just 'button pushers' despite what some might have you believe.

Seems a great deal of you can't even manage to do that properly judging by the amount of phone calls we get from boaters whining ' I'm stuck in xxx lock ' ... Then when the lock keeper gets there , there is nothing actually wrong with the system , the boater just can't read / follow instructions / is drunk / needs their hand holding.

Last edited:

rosssavage

Visit site
I hold the vast majority of you in high regard! (There's only one who I'm not too keen on, but they keep telling me how to use my ropes to their satisfaction and how I'm doing it wrong. I've had the boat for ten years, logged over 1000 hrs with the boat and same crew member, and transited locks hundreds of times - I know how my boat and crew work best thank you!!)

Two examples of superb lock working this summer - temple lock, around Henley crazy time, only boat in the lock with big queue the other way. I know the lockie, he knows I'm reasonably seasoned... "Stick the boat in the middle and I'll whip you through" cue sluices wound straight open, lock cycled in mere minutes. His local knowledge and knowledge of frequent boaters used to maximise rate of cycles, I'm happy with a super speedy transit and a mutual understanding of each other's abilities and requirements.

On the other end, (can't remember the lock) really full lock, boats inches away from each other and the lockie responds by just cracking the sluices, starting the cycle nice and gently to reduce the fore aft surges, yet modulating the sluices almost continually to get through the cycle as quickly as possible whilst minimising turbulence.

Shades, Phil, Ralph, Keith and all the others - thank you :)

Last edited:

Phill

Visit site
Honestly guys.

A lot of lockies read this forum, it will hearten them to know that they are held in such high regard. :(

A bit of support would go a long way. We aren't just 'button pushers' despite what some might have you believe.

Seems a great deal of you can't even manage to do that properly judging by the amount of phone calls we get from boaters whining ' I'm stuck in xxx lock ' ... Then when the lock keeper gets there , there is nothing actually wrong with the system , the boater just can't read / follow instructions / is drunk / needs their hand holding.
Don't think anyone is knocking lock keepers.
As for what you're saying about boaters, I've not met any like that and I've been on the river a while.

Phill

Visit site
Really?! You've been very fortunate then!!!! Certainly one or two complete numpties out there!

Have you really been in a lock when another boater had to ring for help and when the lock keeper gets there, there's nothing wrong, cause that's what Howard is referring to.
I've been in an unmanned lock with people who didn't know how to work it, but I thought it best to show them rather than ring for help.

rosssavage

Visit site
No, because, like you, I have stepped in to help. But if I hadn't been there I suspect that would have been the next step.

I have watched people royally cock it up by getting things out of sequence, not noticing sluices are still open, trying to Jimmy open the cover on the lockie's controls etc....

Trust me, there are a load of numpties out there! (And, of course, a much bigger majority of sensible people)

Phill

Visit site
No, because, like you, I have stepped in to help. But if I hadn't been there I suspect that would have been the next step.

I have watched people royally cock it up by getting things out of sequence, not noticing sluices are still open, trying to Jimmy open the cover on the lockie's controls etc....

Trust me, there are a load of numpties out there! (And, of course, a much bigger majority of sensible people)

I remember many years ago coming downstream into Bray lock and my boat seemed to accelerate as I went throught the gates. I used a lot of astern to stop and then noticed the sluices were being wound open in the bottom gates whilst the top gates were still open. That was a scarry moment.

At least with the push button system, the operation can only be carried out in the correct order.....I hope.

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Honestly guys.

Don't think I've ever read anything but praise for lockies on here.You always seem to confuse criticism of the EA as criticism of front line staff.Everyone was just answering the question posed.
Good way to win hearts and minds don't you think,calling a great deal of boaters thick drunks:(