The Ocean Race (ex-Volvo, ex-Whitbread)

r_h

www.rupertholmes.co.uk
If you gave me the option between being in the Southern Ocean in a new, covered cockpit IMOCCA with live satellite feed showing the weather and a boat capable to put myself in precisely the best sector of a system and have the boat controls managed my a state of the art autopilot OR be sat exposed in the cockpit of a 35ft, 50 year old boat with no outside weather info and at the mercy of the luck of the draw... I think I know exactly what would offer the safest, most enjoyable and most memorable trip!

It would be the IMOCCA all the way!
Absolutely, nothing beats being able to identify the best part each weather system to be in and to have the speed to get there.

Bobc

Visit site
Holy shit! They're flying! 11th Hour just set the 24hr record for an Open 60 of 544.06 miles.

Bobc

Visit site

This is so impressive. 29kts regularly, all driven off autopilot. Drone struggling to keep up. All edited on board. Synchronised sound with drone footage really brings it to life.
This is what happens when you go to bed and leave the children in charge.

affinite

Visit site

This is so impressive. 29kts regularly, all driven off autopilot. Drone struggling to keep up. All edited on board. Synchronised sound with drone footage really brings it to life.

Rosie @ 3:55 "Do you want a bit more speed ? "
Antoine "NO I (the drone) cant go any faster" !! :)

dunedin

Visit site
Incredible that the winner of the super fast race through the southern ocean was the boat that had to do a major repair to their carbon fibre masthead soon after the start. Amazing skill to effect such an effective repair, and the guts and skill to push to the limit but not beyond in the hurtle through the Southern Ocean.
Shame the fleet is so small, but 80% finish rate for super lightweight boats with swing keels, foils, twin rudders etc going at 4 or 5 times the speed of the GGR boats again shows that many peoples perceptions of suitable boats for ocean sailing are wrong.

flaming

Visit site
Shame the fleet is so small, but 80% finish rate for super lightweight boats with swing keels, foils, twin rudders etc going at 4 or 5 times the speed of the GGR boats again shows that many peoples perceptions of suitable boats for ocean sailing are wrong.
Budget is quite a big factor too… An IMOCA with a GGR budget might not quite have the same success rate…

That said I think the biggest thing we see demonstrated time and time again is that when the boats can do decent speeds in “normal” conditions then the routing makes it much easier to avoid the nasty stuff….

Birdseye

Visit site
Incredible that the winner of the super fast race through the southern ocean was the boat that had to do a major repair to their carbon fibre masthead soon after the start. Amazing skill to effect such an effective repair, and the guts and skill to push to the limit but not beyond in the hurtle through the Southern Ocean.
True - if you have their skill levels. Most of us dont so we need something slower and more ponderous.