The new Fairline Squadron 58

TonyR123

Visit site
...The boat we were looking at was a staggering £2.4 plus Vat, a million pounds dearer than the Princess F55 I woke up on earlier in the day...

Bit late to this - but I doubt your F55 would be £1.4m/£1.5m (plus vat) if you were to buy it now. I know placing my deposit on the v55 (and this would be after you secured your price on the F55) that the v55 for same spec now would cost me at least an additional £400k! Think your F55 would be at least £2m now, a complete guess I admit. One examples of the increases is the teak decking option, that has gone from £13k to £30k!

Quite liked the Squadron 58 - not that I am in the market to buy one mind.

TonyR123

Visit site
Just ask Fairline to build a sq58 with slightly higher rails, and they will oblige. Unlike princess who will hardly change a cup holder even if you buy a £10m boat, Fairline will always do a few custom requests.
Princess designed me a double bed in the 3rd bedroom instead of bunks in my v55. Also removed the "sock sofa" in the master to replace with draws. Neither were on the options list. So they will change some aspects in build, although my attention to detail is nothing like yours! Other bits have been retro fitted (fridge instead of ice maker as an example).

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Bit late to this - but I doubt your F55 would be £1.4m/£1.5m (plus vat) if you were to buy it now. I know placing my deposit on the v55 (and this would be after you secured your price on the F55) that the v55 for same spec now would cost me at least an additional £400k! Think your F55 would be at least £2m now, a complete guess I admit. One examples of the increases is the teak decking option, that has gone from £13k to £30k!
A client of mine was offered a V55 at 1.6 million EUROS VAT paid (22% in Italy) boat with a lot of options (up/down platform, double glass cockpit, bow/stern thruster and so on and so forth) excluding Seakeeper which they could retro-fit for about 100k.
I think once you go without a trade, and start to bring other names they all start to bring prices to compete.

TonyR123

Visit site
for a brand new boat that is good, but if vat paid I would assume 2nd hand so probably about right. If that boat was built even 18 months ago it will be alot cheaper than one now. One reason I committed a while back due to rising prices. Retrofitting a seakeeper for £100k is also pretty good. Bit of a nightmare to retro-fit that on a v55. Seakeeper 9 on its own is over a $100k.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Henry, was that you anchored in Osbourne bay on Saturday around midday?
Yes it was. We were coming back from a charter that finished in Lymington Friday evening. Stayed there, had a lovely meal in the Royal Lymington Yacht Club then pottered back on the tide Saturday morning. Dropped the hook in Osbourne Bay for a spot of lunch en route to the sunshine paradise they call Gosport.

:)

benjenbav

Visit site
Yes it was. We were coming back from a charter that finished in Lymington Friday evening. Stayed there, had a lovely meal in the Royal Lymington Yacht Club then pottered back on the tide Saturday morning. Dropped the hook in Osbourne Bay for a spot of lunch en route to the sunshine paradise they call Gosport.

Sounds glorious. Sort of thing that makes you glad to have a boat - let alone one as nice as your P55. Decent weather, too.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Sounds glorious. Sort of thing that makes you glad to have a boat - let alone one as nice as your P55. Decent weather, too.
We were hard at work and as such no pleasure whatsoever was gleaned at any point in the day. Even the bit where I chilled out on the front deck for 10 minutes whilst gliding serenely towards Gilkicker…..

:) :) :)

Switch

Visit site

We were anchored there too but only for a few minutes as it was a bit lumpy for swmbo. She asked why your boat wasn’t rolling around like ours was. I was happy to inform her about your £100k stabiliser system. Worth every penny if you ask me. Lovely boat BTW

henryf

www.911virgin.com
We were anchored there too but only for a few minutes as it was a bit lumpy for swmbo. She asked why your boat wasn’t rolling around like ours was. I was happy to inform her about your £100k stabiliser system. Worth every penny if you ask me. Lovely boat BTW

The gyro has been an absolute revelation. You’ve got the nail on the head. Osbourne is a lovely spot but a combination of swell and bell ends storming through the moorings can make it uncomfortable.

I had a rib fly past so close I could touch it, thankfully the gyro just shook off his wake. The hull is naturally stable as well.

rafiki_

Visit site

The gyro has been an absolute revelation. You’ve got the nail on the head. Osbourne is a lovely spot but a combination of swell and bell ends storming through the moorings can make it uncomfortable.

I had a rib fly past so close I could touch it, thankfully the gyro just shook off his wake. The hull is naturally stable as well.
Henry, your boat could only be improved if it were an Itama. 😉

MapisM

Visit site
The hull is naturally stable as well.
I know it's counterintuitive, but if that is true, the boat is harder to stabilize, with a more hectic and less comfortable roll behaviour.
OTOH, I'm saying "if true" because, for any given size and type of monohull boats, in my experience the differences are trivial - if any.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
I know it's counterintuitive, but if that is true, the boat is harder to stabilize, with a more hectic and less comfortable roll behaviour.
OTOH, I'm saying "if true" because, for any given size and type of monohull boats, in my experience the differences are trivial - if any.
Maybe it’s just bigger than the old one?

we’ve got a Seakeeper 9 fitted. Some people fit a Seakeeper 6 at our size so I guess we enjoy more corrective torque, just under 19,000 Nm from memory at 9,000 rpm.

Reactions: MrB

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I’ve just spent a few very happy days aboard a 63’er with a Seakeeper. Won’t come as a surprise that it’s true wot they say.…! Rolly anchorages from swell and wakes are made majorly more comfortable when it’s engaged, remarkable how quiet it was too. Problem I have now is that‘s another thing to add to the list!

Last edited:

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
The real difference in rolling behaviour would be a deep Vee hull, and an important difference in beam. Deep Vee hulls roll more.
All new Princess are rather flatter aft, about twelve degrees hence why probably felt it rolled less then the previous 50 (about 17/18) you had.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
The real difference in rolling behaviour would be a deep Vee hull, and an important difference in beam. Deep Vee hulls roll more.
All new Princess are rather flatter aft, about twelve degrees hence why probably felt it rolled less then the previous 50 (about 17/18) you had.
As always you are correct. The aft section of the hull is indeed flatter. It means you don’t get that glorious lean into a tight turn but the boat feels more grown up.

I’m not constantly having to adjust trim as people move around. It took a little getting used to but I’m there now. I wouldn’t say one hull shape is better or worse, it you want to hang onto your youth the old P50 mk3 was remarkable in its sporty (for a big lump of flybridge) handling but for where we are now in life and chartering I like the F55 hull characteristics. Turning circle definitely isn’t as tight though.