The major restoration of Chance (Token) James Silver Western Isles Motor sailer

jstarmarine

Visit site
That deck sounds like a nightmare!

I'm rooting for you.
Hi Ben,
The deck are a pain, however, they will be done in stages. The first job we have to tackle is getting the starboard side beam shelf replaced and the transom re-build. While we are doing that the whole of the aft and both side decks will be removed and the original teak decking planned down to a standard depth. When that is done, a new marine plywood sub deck will be fitted over all the new beam shelf and deck knees and carlins. Once that is done the rest of the aft end of the boat will be rebuild before tackling the forward end of the boat, In between these jobs with the help of family and a few friends the hull will be re-planked as necessary over the course of the restoration.

jstarmarine

Visit site
The journey so far this year.
1 April 2023
Since the beginning of the year we have done a far amount of work on the stern of the hull. Now the transom skin is now removed to expose the framework the skin was fixed too. At the same time part of the starboard side deck was removed to expose a can of worms in the shape of poorly done repairs at some time in the past which as lead to a lot of extra work to put right.
The first thing to get expose was the fact that the beam shelf was not replaced correctly as it was just bolted to the frames and nothing else. The tie rods that connect the beam shelf to the rest of the deck structure were cut through and not replaced as they should have been to keep the deck in position and stop the hull from moving apart, This is exactly what as happened and is the job we have to do first before any of work can be done to the hull and deck.
The major problem we have to overcome is to bring the hull back into the correct shape after it has been out of shape for so long. We made a pattern of the port side of the transom and the starboard side is one and half inches out of shape in the fair curve of the tumble home and the planks on the starboard side are different widths to the planks on the port side in the same position. This being the case the planks on the starboard side of the hull aft have been fitted after the repair to the starboard beam shelf and when the hull had started to move.
As the teak deck planking of the starboard side deck was being removed the extent of the poorly done repair highlight a bigger problem nothing was tiring anything together anymore. main deck beams had been cut through and were floating in fresh air as were the side deck short beams.
What we have done in the meantime is to fit props under the starboard side hull where the hull has dropped to stop it going any further and are carefully pushing the hull back up to its correct position and when we have achieved that replace the poorly fitted beam shelf to then let the hull re-gain it correct shape.
Then we will remove the beam shelf once the rest of the deck planking is removed so that all the deck beams are exposed and the work can be started to refit the beam shelf and the rest of other deck beams and once that is done re-skin the transom after the transom framework is all rebuild in the correct shape.
While this is being done Simon and his son Michael have been going through some of the bits that are being stored in Simon;s Workshop, one of the jobs Michael has been doing is sanding down the Main Cabin Butterfly hatch lids which have been removed before Christmas and have now dried out so it is now possible to sand them down and inspect them for any damage and see how best to repair and restore any damaged parts.
Simon has been cleaning down the three sets of steps out of Chance, one short set to get out of the cockpit to the side deck. another set to go from the cockpit to the main cabin and the last set of steps to go down into the aft end of the boat to the aft heads and finally into the aft cabin. These steps are all made differently and need cleaning in different ways to get rid of the old varnish and do any repairs to them before they can be varnished and refitted to the boat.
We are hoping for a change in the weather so that we can get back to Chance and get on with her repairs over the spring and summer so that we can get her hull and deck in a better condition from the one we have at the moment.

tillergirl

Visit site
By coincidence I also had to replace a large part of the starboard beam shelf. I was surprised when the deck was lifted that there were no tie rods. The half and full beams were jointed though. I did have the advantage of having the Devil lifted in one piece. We bolted the devil to a frame on a lorry chassis and then with as many clamps as we could find we bent the uncut beam shelf and clamped it to the shape of the devil. Then left it so clamped for a month and sweated it. We scarfed the replacement and she went into a very satisfying clunk. The carlins were very substantial and were untouched by leaks (fortunately)

jstarmarine

Visit site
By coincidence I also had to replace a large part of the starboard beam shelf. I was surprised when the deck was lifted that there were no tie rods. The half and full beams were jointed though. I did have the advantage of having the Devil lifted in one piece. We bolted the devil to a frame on a lorry chassis and then with as many clamps as we could find we bent the uncut beam shelf and clamped it to the shape of the devil. Then left it so clamped for a month and sweated it. We scarfed the replacement and she went into a very satisfying clunk. The carlins were very substantial and were untouched by leaks (fortunately)
Hi,
It is strange that the same beam shelf should go. Chance is a lot larger than tillergirl and the stresses are a great lead more. The worse part about Chance was the person or persons who did the repair cut the short deck beams through as well as the tie rods so there was nothing holding the side deck together at all. So over the years Chance just opened up a bit at a time until the problem got bad that the boat spread apart an inch and a half and completely out of shape both on the planking and the width of the deck planks to the point the side deck felt into the boat along the whole of the starboard side deck.

So when I get back to Chance shortly I will be take what is left of the starboard side deck off the short beams and make up some framework to pull the shape back into Chances' starboard side which will need the wrong sized planks being removed and get that part of the boat back where it should be and then make up some new tie rods so that when I have removed the beam shelf the new beam should will be connected t the carlin and then make a new set of short deck beams as well as the three full aft deck beams that have had the same treatment as the short beams cut off and floating in fresh air.
Will keep you updated as I get on with this job.

tillergirl

Visit site
I am guessing Tiller Girl relied on the general 'oversized' parts. The knee, elbows and full beams were in particular very substantial. Indeed 1" iroko planking provided a very sturdy boat. I am sure Silver relied on the a slightly more sophisticated design; each component doing its' job. Hence losing the tie rods was a major error. I think your timing saving Chance has been good. I regret I haven't been over to see her but days have slipped through my fingers and I have a few things to finish off before re-launch. I hope then later I could pop over.

Best wishes for all the work.

jstarmarine

Visit site
Hi,
Every boat builder has their own way of keeping parts together, in the case of tiller girl they oversized parts to ensure they did not come apart, in your case oversized knees and deck beams with dovetail joints at both ends and bolted through knees to bond the whole deck structure together. In the case of Chance it had the added security of tie rods to hold the deck and beam shelf together. Either way I have my hands full dismantling of the beam shelf and the rest of the poorly done repairs. So just got to get the back to Chance when my day job lets me gt away for a few hours and at the weekends. This time of the year is always busy with owners wishing to get their boat back in the water. As some people have commented on my blog am I running a dismantling blog or a restoration blog, I have to tell them that in order to restore a boat you have to remove a lot of parts to get back to the starting point where there is nothing in the way to get the boat back to the original shape and design.. Hope to see you after Easter when things have calmed down.

jstarmarine

Visit site
This is the forward end of the original beam shelf and is in a less than excellent condition as the window above the beam shelf as been missing for some time and fresh water has been aloud to stand on the beam shelf when there was a shelf nailed on to the top of the beam shelf.

This is the area of the beam shelf is where the new aft section of the beam shelf was butted together with a packing block and just screwed together with steel screws and or even bolted together to maintain the strength in the beam shelf.

The original beam shelf bolted in place, however, as you look down the new section of the beam shelf no bolts to be seen.

As before as you saw in early blogs the tie rods which should be in place to hold the decks together have been cut through and so the deck moves apart from the itself with nothing to keep it in position.

Also, what can be seen is the large area of rot in the beam shelf where the fresh water was able to get through the deck planking and into the softwood beam shelf and because this area was not able to be ventilated to keep a good air flow in this area.

The whole of the beam shelf is in a very bad condition and also in this photo it can be seen, there are no bolts fixing this lodging knee to the beam shelf.

This photo shows how bad the condition of the aft end of the starboard side and aft decks are, there is no stern knee between the transom and the beam shelf the aft deck beam ends have been cut off and not fixed to the beam shelf in any way. also, the aft lodging knee as not fixings to the beam shelf and so the whole area is unsupported.

Another view of the same area from deck level showing the extent of the poor workmanship that was used to fit the beam shelf and the way that the aft deck beams were cut short and the whole area is going to be removed to reinstate the deck in the correct manner.

jstarmarine

Visit site
Simon having spent the day removing the teak planking on the starboard side deck as exposed a catalog of poorly done repairs of the past which have ended up with the starboard side being in the condition it is now.

The lodging knees that are there to connect the beam shelf to the deck beams were in position but not bolted to the beam shelf, just connected to the deck beam so the boat just lost its shape because nothing was holding the two parts together once the beam shelf was replaced at sometime in the past.

The beam shelf was made out of softwood and as rotted away in places and is just bolted to the hull frames and nothing else.

The inboard end of the short beams still fixed correctly where as the outboard end was cut off with the inboard side of the new beam shelf and just fixed with a couple of screws which have rusted away over time and so the beams are floating in fresh air.

One area where the short beam was missing completely

The aft lodging knee as the forward lodging knee not fixed to the beam shelf just the deck beam at the end of the cabin.

At least it is all teak deck planking is now removed and the beam shelf is exposed so that the next stage can be got on with. that is to remove the ols beam shelf once the aft cabin is supported by props under the aft cabin deck beams, the props will be placed on top of the keel and wedged into position to keep the aft cabin supported while we replace the beam shelf and carlin and the deck beams both long and short beams.

It was easier to remove the whole section of deck planking, so it will be easier to sort out the beam shelf where it needs replacing going through this area without any deck beams or planking in the way

Simon is going to be making a lot of patterns over the next few weeks as he make new lodging knees and short beams and a few longer beams for the aft deck and a new carlin for the aft cabin.

tillergirl

Visit site
I think the only thing I can say is 'Eek'!

Here some old images of Tiller Girl

1. soft part of the beam shelf removed (and obviously the gunn'le plank removed. That needed replacing both sides)

DSC02127 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

2. Closer view showing the damage to the top of the ribs

DSC02128 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

3. Not the best photo - showing the new section of the beam shelf fitted - scarfs glued and bolted fore and aft.

DSC02050 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

4. Close up of the mid section scarf. I recall the new section was 20ft or more and I could get one length. So I had to scarf two pieces for the length, then scarf into remains. I didn't dare replace all the beam shelf. I thought it best to leave the fore and aft sections that were undamaged and therefore undisrupted rather than starting to interfere at the bow and stern

DSC02051 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

5. Gunn'le replaced. Each side comprised three planks 14 feet x 12" x 1". Cutting the scarfs were terrifying but went ok.

DSC00010 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

jstarmarine

Visit site
Hi,
The next job on the beam shelf is to expose the rest of it at the wheelhouse and so I can remove and replace it with ease as there will be nothing in the way of putting back in. Will just need a few pairs of hands when it comes to putting it back in position as it is going to be a bit of a handful by myself. However,that a little time in the future. Just got to do more repairs to the frames and floors near the transom and make a few patterns up of the parts I will need to make up the frames and floors first.

jstarmarine

Visit site
The joints are reasonably intact, however, there are parts of the carlin which are rotten in places, so it is as well to replace the whole of the carlin as part of the restoration of Chance.

It was good to see that at least one end of the deck beams had not been messed about with unlike the outboard end which had been butchered. So it will be possible to redo the deck beams in the same manner has they were when the deck beams were first fitted back 1947/8 when Chance was build.

One deck beam that did not survive as it had been either rotten or broken out when they repaired the beam shelf and relaid the deck planking

The aft end of the carlin is in the same condition as the forward end , the major problem in this area is going to be making new aft deck beams and making new lodging knees. However, this time we will make the parts out of laminated oak which will be a lot stronger than the original parts and be more rot resistance.

tillergirl

Visit site
I suppose they did at least try to extend her life but the short cuts! I guess of all the places to avoid short cuts, the construction of the deck is the one to be avoided. Any weakness and off the fresh water goes!

It will be very satisfying.

jstarmarine

Visit site
Hi,
I think this was done when Chance was used as a liveaboard in the 1970's when Chance was moored in Moody's boatyard. If they though Chance was not going to move the repair would be okay. However, over the years Chance did move about a fair bit and the problem started and only got worse as time moved on. So now when inherited the problem laid down many years ago.

The good side of this, is that Chance will be put back together the way she should be and not cutting corners. it is only going to take a lot more time to undo the poorly done repairs and put her in a position where we have a sound boat once more. The starboard quarter is by far the worse part of the boat apart from having to replace 24 ribs from the starboard quarter to the forward main cabin bulkhead and the same on the port side from the port side to the aft end of the engine bay where Chance was lifted in the past without using spreader bars to keep the slings apart when lifting for on and off transport. That job is a reasonably straight forward job as it is a lot of steaming and nailing of ribs in place.

First ist is time to get on with the starboard quarter and get that sorted over the coming weeks.

jstarmarine

Visit site
I think your user name should be changed to Gunga Din.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
As a saying I live by states " Stick to the fight when you're hardest hit, It's when things are worst that you mustn't quit" I have lived my life that way and I am not about to to change now.

jstarmarine

Visit site
This link shows what Simon as been doing while not being able to work on Chance because of the wet weather:

This Easter weekend Simon was not able to get on with all the jobs he had planned to do on Chance herself, So when the weather turned wet and windy he decided to go to his workshop and get on with a few of the jobs he could get on with while the weather was so he could not work outside on Chance. Simon continued to clean off the old varnish off the three sets of steps that Chance has for people to move around the inside of Chance and out on to her decks. In the video the short set of steps are the steps to gain access to the deck from the wheelhouse. this set of steps were to be placed in front of the starboard sliding door out on to the side deck. Although, over the years somebody had made an extra set of steps for the port side behind the steering position they were not original and will not be going back in as although there is a sliding doorway here there is no lift section of the wheelhouse roof. As there wheelhouse roof is original there is no reason to think there was any set of steps for the port side. The second set of steps which are a lot higher than the set of steps to let people access the deck from the cockpit they are the steps to go down into the main cabin from the cockpit. these set of steps have got some oil damage to the lower 6 or so inches of the uprights which will have to be dealt with before any varnish can be re-applied to the steps. Finally, the third set of steps are the set of steps to go down towards the aft cabin, which in the day of the original owners of Chance was their state room. Which is the part of the boats' interior which has been messed about with the most over the years and which is going to take the most to put back the way it was originally build back in 1948. The main problem we have is that without a set of plans for the boats' interior we are taking measurements and ideas from what is left to gauge what the aft stateroom should look like and hope we get it correct. These third set of steps is also one of the ways to access the engine bay as well as lifting the floorboards in the wheelhouse and accessing the engines from above. So now that the sets of steps are cleaned up and ready for re-varnishing in is time if the weather is not able to let us work on Chance it is time to work on some of the other interior parts Simon has in his workshop and on his workshop shelves

jstarmarine

Visit site
The chart table and the drawer unit from Chance is in a bit of a rough condition and is in need of a bit of TLC and a few parts need replacing.

Most of the unit is in good condition, conceding it was open to the elements for quiet a long while.

It is a little bit out of shape, however, with a little bit of adjustment it will go back in shape and when the drawers are repaired they will go back into the unit.

The inside will need a bit of paint and sealing as it as had very little in the way of protection in some while.

The top is in need of TLC in the way of gluing the two part together before it is sanded down and re-varnishing

The same with the large end panel which needs bracing from behind and the gap clamping up and gluing together and sanding down and re-varnishing.

tillergirl

Visit site
I do admire trying to save as much as possible. Especially the furniture which will 'retain' her atmosphere. I am sure it is probably quicker to do it from the beginning again but it will be original.

jstarmarine

Visit site
I do admire trying to save as much as possible. Especially the furniture which will 'retain' her atmosphere. I am sure it is probably quicker to do it from the beginning again but it will be original.
Hi Tillergirl,

I am trying to keep as much of the original fabric of the boat as possible, however, in some places it has not been possible. Either because parts are rotten or missing. However, there are places on the boat where telltale signs still exist where it is possible to put back the original furniture back in place. The wood we are putting back may not be original, however, the design of the furniture is. Places on the interior have been distressed over the years. However, had a number of photos send to me about other James Silver's of a similar age. I have been able to gauge what the interior should look like. As many of the other James Silver's were fitted out with very similar furniture to Chance as many of the parts were produced to fit in a number of different classes of Silver's.

So it is time to piece together the jigsaw puzzle, While at the same time sorting out the hull and decks.