The green flash.

DownWest

Visit site
When I was building my house the neighbour's wife was in her kitchen one morning & flashed my men on the scaffold. I missed it, but they seemed quite pleased. Had nothing to do with the sun going down. There were 2 of them & I doubt they were green. The blokes did not seem to mind. :D :eek:
Perv is curious.. Top flash, or Full Monty?

Oh, asking for a friend!

DownWest

Visit site
Dont forget one leg in the air! 🤣
Never been close to that sorta thing, so bit short of the finer details.....
But, chatting to the crew of our company yacht, rather late at night.. She was a 'Southern Girl' from the US. Quite happily told me her father was a Grand Wizard in the KKK. Jeepers! Maybe did the yacht stuff to stay away?
And, back in the late 60s, spent some time with delightful girl, her father was well up in the Masons. We didn't find much time to talk about that.

Beelzebub

Visit site
No need to sail across the Atlantic to see the Green Flash. My wife and I have seen it on Ile d'Arz in the Golfe de Morbihan. :)

AndrewB

Visit site
While we were blue-water cruising in the tropics, every evening SWMBO and I would pour out the G&T's at sunset, and settle down to watch "The Green Flash Show". But we never once saw it together, not in perhaps 200 or so 'perfect' sunsets!

Then, one day when we were sailing towards NZ in quite rough conditions, so that only I was on deck, finally I saw it. The one and only time.

I'm still not convinced though that it is a real effect rather than an illusion, and have doubts about supposed photographs. The flash I saw looked different from most of them.

Blueboatman

Visit site
While we were blue-water cruising in the tropics, every evening SWMBO and I would pour out the G&T's at sunset, and settle down to watch "The Green Flash Show". But we never once saw it together, not in perhaps 200 or so 'perfect' sunsets!

Then, one day when we were sailing towards NZ in quite rough conditions, so that only I was on deck, finally I saw it. The one and only time.

I'm still not convinced though that it is a real effect rather than an illusion, and have doubts about supposed photographs. The flash I saw looked different from most of them.
There’s an 80s French lightweight movie called -funnily enough - The Green Ray .
They filmed in the Canaries for the eponymous money shot

Goldie

Visit site
I'm still not convinced though that it is a real effect rather than an illusion, and have doubts about supposed photographs.

YOU may have doubts about ‘supposed photographs’ but I can assure you that the photo in #12 is very real and was witnessed by other watchers with the naked eye.

Stingo

Visit site
YOU may have doubts about ‘supposed photographs’ but I can assure you that the photo in #12 is very real and was witnessed by other watchers with the naked eye.
I've now searched my 'pooter for my green-flash photo and cannot find it, but I did find the photo that I took a few minutes before the flash. One would think the green-flash photo would be the next in the sequence or at least in the same folder. Nada!
IMG_1978.jpg

Rustyknight

Visit site
Saw the green flash once whilst watching the sunset sitting on the cliffs at Tintagel in Cornwall. I doubt I'll ever see it again, but sure as eggs are eggs I'll forget to take a camera....

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
I'm still get reminded of an evening in St Annes, Martinique not long after we reached the Caribbean when I vociferously discounted green flashes only fifteen minutes before we along with a few dozen/hundred others witnessed the most clear/obvious one we ever saw.
Conversely, I've watched several sunsets at that headland/square where everyone gathers in Key West and irrespective of the weather conditions, there is invariably someone who shouts out that they saw it and within a minute or so, several hundred others realise they saw it too.

AndrewB

Visit site
That's a nice photo. :)

It shows a greenish tinge to the sun close to the horizon , which is not that uncommon, and could well be caused by refraction through the atmosphere (which allows the setting sun to still be seen, when actually it is already below the horizon). However it is not the same as a split-second flash extending beyond the apparent perimeter of the sun itself, which some believe they have seen.

johnalison

Visit site
That's a nice photo. :)

It shows a greenish tinge to the sun close to the horizon , which is not that uncommon, and could well be caused by refraction through the atmosphere (which allows the setting sun to still be seen, when actually it is already below the horizon). However it is not the same as a split-second flash extending beyond the apparent perimeter of the sun itself, which some believe they have seen.
If a red sun disc disappears quickly, its complementary colour green will be perceived, and I suspect that this contributes to many green-flash reports and may be the chief effect in most, though I don’t doubt that a real effect exists.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
If a red sun disc disappears quickly, its complementary colour green will be perceived, and I suspect that this contributes to many green-flash reports and may be the chief effect in most, though I don’t doubt that a real effect exists.
But of course "complementary colour" is a physiological effect anyway, not physics.