The Forum Burgee.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I'll try to be constructive here! IMHO it would look better on a coloured background rather than white and I'd lose the arrow. Maybe incorporate a mobo and a raggie sailing on the seas of the world?
Slight fred drift but if one wanted to fly both the henryf ybw burgee and the hlb mouse burgee, does flag etiquette allow you to put them both on the same staff and which would one would be highest?

henryf

www.911virgin.com
A bit of background to the design.

I'm not trying to replace or compete with the mouse. As a "club" burgee we have the mouse and that is final. Cast in stone. What I was after was a bright and quite noticeable flag which stood out and inspired people to ask "what's that?" If they weren't aware of the forum.

90% of club burgees seem to be on a blue background, the white one will stand out. It's not intended to be embroidered but screen printed so what you see is what you will get including the shading. It is intended to be a cheaper item to buy than the embroidered mouse.

The design obviously reflects the fact that it's a world wide Internet forum, I think the cursor is quite central to the design.

As I say I've purposely not tried to "compete" with the mouse and you need to see it as serving a different purpose.

Henry :)

Vara

Visit site
I think you should compete, the original design is tried and tested, but a readily accessible cheaper burgee and the sticker would be a winner IMO.

PRV did a sterling job, plugging a gap when it occurred. But too pricey for me...an impecunious pensioner.:)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Henry just a personal opinion but I don't think a white background will stand out when flying next to all the white clutter such as radomes and TV aerials on a white radar arch on a white boat although it might stand out better on a raggie mast

tinkicker0

Visit site
'Fraid I wouldn't have anything like that on my boat. Looks a bit corporate, sort of thing given away free in a magazine.

Nail, Head, on target.

Or even a little bit:

9032764584297983451.jpeg___1_500_1_500_cb94de6a_.png

Constructive criticism of course, Henry's attempts are appreciated, but I can't see one of those designs going on my vehicles or boat.

Needs to be more:

a9ea7f9726781a97f2e34448fb79e10d.jpg

Last edited:

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Henry just a personal opinion but I don't think a white background will stand out when flying next to all the white clutter such as radomes and TV aerials on a white radar arch on a white boat although it might stand out better on a raggie mast

Your eye would be drawn to the colourful globe.

Clearly there isn't quite the ybw love out there I was expecting ! In many ways the response thus far is good in so far as the design was intended to promote the forum very directly, possibly too directly :)

I have no problem in taking constructive comments by the way so don't worry about upsetting me. Design isn't a right or wrong thing. Just as case of finding the right mood. Given the tone of the thread so far I've been leaning in a particular direction. I have a couple of ideas. One a variation on this logo, another totally different.

tinkicker0

Visit site

Clearly there isn't quite the ybw love out there I was expecting ! In many ways the response thus far is good in so far as the design was intended to promote the forum very directly, possibly too directly :)

I have no problem in taking constructive comments by the way so don't worry about upsetting me. Design isn't a right or wrong thing. Just as case of finding the right mood. Given the tone of the thread so far I've been leaning in a particular direction. I have a couple of ideas. One a variation on this logo, another totally different.

a9ea7f9726781a97f2e34448fb79e10d.jpg

Vara

Visit site

Henry, you're reinventing the wheel, there is an existing design which most people seem to like, the problem is the distribution and the price.

deuc02

Visit site
A bit of background to the design.

I'm not trying to replace or compete with the mouse. As a "club" burgee we have the mouse and that is final. Cast in stone. What I was after was a bright and quite noticeable flag which stood out and inspired people to ask "what's that?" If they weren't aware of the forum.

90% of club burgees seem to be on a blue background, the white one will stand out. It's not intended to be embroidered but screen printed so what you see is what you will get including the shading. It is intended to be a cheaper item to buy than the embroidered mouse.

The design obviously reflects the fact that it's a world wide Internet forum, I think the cursor is quite central to the design.

As I say I've purposely not tried to "compete" with the mouse and you need to see it as serving a different purpose.

Keep up the pitch Henry. The buggers'll back down in the end ;););)

SimbaDog

Visit site
It was never difficult as a few thousand folk will tell you. Send money and tell me where to send the flag to.

If you cannot do that, then maybe it is to complicated for you.

It was certainly too complicated for you to reply to my PMs at the time (several years ago) when I asked how to buy one!

jac

Visit site
Right then. This is what I was thinking for a general ybw forum pennant / sticker to run alongside the mouse burgee.

ybwflag_zps321fcc17.jpg

What do you think ?

Not so keen Henry.

Appreciate it's meant to stand out and be different but think the colour palette is too likely to blur into boaty background of white and blue. Design is too intricate to be understood from any distance.

I would suggest reds and oranges and a fairly simple design.

However very well done for taking this on. If you can combine the accessibility of petes process with the quality of Haydns design /flag then onto a winner.

Jason

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Henry, you're reinventing the wheel, there is an existing design which most people seem to like, the problem is the distribution and the price.

I've had considerable support off forum from people who want an alternative design but who don't want to offend anyone or start a war so I'm happy that an alternative design is worth investigating. Ultimately the desire for an alternative design is actually the driving force behind making the mouse more available so be careful what you wish for.

As for a cheaper version of the mouse - the general mood was that quality was lacking and needed bringing back up to speed. Not that people wanted to see a cheaper version. We can only do as we are told. It isn't practical to offer lots of variations on something which by Haydn's own admission only sells in limited numbers.

If you don't want an alternative then buy the mouse.

tinkicker0

Visit site
Ribbing aside, I'd certainly have the car stickers if they were of the mouse.

As far as the new design, I think I agree with the others, re the white background, have you tried a colour to soften the image? The white makes it seem a little stark against the green. Maybe some off white shade?
I can appreciate that it is difficult to come up with a design compromise that suits the manufacturing process, the price point you likely envisage; and satisfy a very discerning crowd that want quality and taste for one and thruppence hapenny.

prv

Visit site
the general mood was that quality was lacking and needed bringing back up to speed.

I do think you ought to canvas opinion on that from people who've actually bought one. I think a lot of people have jumped to conclusions from one dodgy photo taken on a mobile phone outside the Post Office.

Obviously I'm biassed, but I think the utility of the Liverpool burgee (proper flag material, larger and bolder sewing that's visible from a distance, etc) trades off well against the finer embroidery and heavy fabric of the Haydn burgee. I own one of each, and while I would happily pick the Haydn original for a glass case in the imaginary club bar, it's the Liverpool one that I hoist up the mast on a day-to-day basis.

Pete

henryf

www.911virgin.com
I do think you ought to canvas opinion on that from people who've actually bought one. I think a lot of people have jumped to conclusions from one dodgy photo taken on a mobile phone outside the Post Office.

Obviously I'm biassed, but I think the utility of the Liverpool burgee (proper flag material, larger and bolder sewing that's visible from a distance, etc) trades off well against the finer embroidery and heavy fabric of the Haydn burgee. I own one of each, and while I would happily pick the Haydn original for a glass case in the imaginary club bar, it's the Liverpool one that I hoist up the mast on a day-to-day basis.

Pete

We're waiting for samples to come back but it might be that we use pure embroidery but bulk it up to have a more pronounced image. Fabric choice can be decided later of course.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Ribbing aside, I'd certainly have the car stickers if they were of the mouse.

As far as the new design, I think I agree with the others, re the white background, have you tried a colour to soften the image? The white makes it seem a little stark against the green. Maybe some off white shade?
I can appreciate that it is difficult to come up with a design compromise that suits the manufacturing process, the price point you likely envisage; and satisfy a very discerning crowd that want quality and taste for one and thruppence hapenny.

One of the earlier designs was mocked up on a blue background.

ybwblueflag_zpsba0afacc.jpg