The Forum Burgee.

Greg2

Visit site
Blimey!
Been away on the boat since I posted last week and it has taken some time to wade through the thread since then. A shame it has become a bit 'lounge ish' because the mobo forum is generally a place of peace, harmony and good natured banter.

Anyway, as someone who has been around here since the days of the original burgee I can see both perspectives. The way of the world is generally continual change and this forum has certainly changed significantly since I first posted, not least because of the introduction of the Lounge. That isn't to say that it was ever anything like that place but it was a lot busier and the content more varied. Like Haydn I sometimes hanker after the old days but nothing stays the same and the mobo forum is still a good place. Importantly the ethos hasn't changed that much, which is why my vote is to stick with the original design.

Maybe this debate will result in me finally getting one :)

epervier

Visit site
A roundel sounds a good idea, example below, states who we are, with the burgee in the centre, can be used for both boat and vehicle, thereby not breaking flying etiquette;) I already have one of these on the boat and cars,

roundelRNSA_zps39e96983.jpg

SimbaDog

Visit site
What an entertaining thread :encouragement: I tried to buy one several years ago but is was so complicated I gave up!
If I could get a decent one at a fair price online I would buy one.

Aardee

Visit site
Without wishing to start the whole damned thing off again, the only downside (if you choose to see it as such) is that the current forum burgee is very much an "in" symbol - i.e. Only those that have some long-term knowledge of the forum would know what it is. Certainly useful as a means of identifying yourself to fellow members.

Maybe a more obvious "YBW Forums" burgee and/ or window sticker (in addition to the rolled-up-trouser-leg version) would attract more like-minded folks to join up and contribute.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Without wishing to start the whole damned thing off again, the only downside (if you choose to see it as such) is that the current forum burgee is very much an "in" symbol - i.e. Only those that have some long-term knowledge of the forum would know what it is. Certainly useful as a means of identifying yourself to fellow members.

Maybe a more obvious "YBW Forums" burgee and/ or window sticker (in addition to the rolled-up-trouser-leg version) would attract more like-minded folks to join up and contribute.

Which is pretty much where we are now.

You will have to give us a bit of time to get things sorted out, the design of the ybw inspired pennant is underway and we are investigating manufacturers for both. Stickers will be available for both designs. There is going to be a little website where you can order from with on-line payments and I'm hoping once everything is up and running and people are happy we might have a sticky on the forum so people know where to go.

Henry :)

Aardee

Visit site

You will have to give us a bit of time to get things sorted out, the design of the ybw inspired pennant is underway and we are investigating manufacturers for both. Stickers will be available for both designs. There is going to be a little website where you can order from with on-line payments and I'm hoping once everything is up and running and people are happy we might have a sticky on the forum so people know where to go.

So there we go, count me as +1 for "Team Henry" ;)

jac

Visit site

Well done Henry. Good to bring this into the 21st century and also to preserve the original design. Also do need to recognise Pete's effort to keep this alive. I did buy one of his having failed twice to get one from Haydn and I think it may have died without his kiss of life.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
What an entertaining thread :encouragement: I tried to buy one several years ago but is was so complicated I gave up!
If I could get a decent one at a fair price online I would buy one.

It was never difficult as a few thousand folk will tell you. Send money and tell me where to send the flag to.

If you cannot do that, then maybe it is to complicated for you.

[2068]

Visit site
It was never difficult as a few thousand folk will tell you. Send money and tell me where to send the flag to.
If you cannot do that, then maybe it is to complicated for you.

Self-addressed envelopes, stamps, cheques = 1980
A website where you hit the "Buy" button and a burgee turns up = 2014

But to be fair, the envelope process did work for me, and it's still attached, just about :)

ricky_s

Visit site

That's great Henry, I will buy one when it's up. Will the stickers be customisable? Would be great to get our profile names on there.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
That's great Henry, I will buy one when it's up. Will the stickers be customisable? Would be great to get our profile names on there.

No, just a standard sticker I'm afraid at this stage.

We will be ordering decent quantities of everything, to get involved in one off's at this stage is too much. I also suspect the price for a customised sticker would scare people off.

SLC

Visit site
As a 'newbie' I don't have any allegiance for the original, but this looks more like an advertisement for the owners and the site. A bit too business like and impersonal, not something I would associate with 'club' membership or being a part of a social group, therefore I would not be tempted to buy, sorry. IMHO.

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
ybwflag_zps321fcc17.jpg

What do you think ?

Sorry Henry - I'm glad you're taking on supply arrangements for the Tipsy Mouse, but that design is bloody awful :)

It's far too intricate and fiddly for a burgee; from any distance (like 20 feet) it will just look like a fuzzy blue blob on a white flag. It would also be impossible to sew, though I think you said these ones would be printed. But that decision becomes final if you go ahead with this design.

Aesthetically I think it looks dated, late 90s or thereabouts. And frankly just ugly in an indefinable sort of way. I'm sticking with my Tipsy Mouse (Liverpool variant) for a burgee, but I was considering putting one of your stickers in the window as well. But I would be quite reluctant to display that design.

Sorry :)

Pete