The floating RV

G

My name is Jacob Gershman. I'm a reporter for The New York Sun, a daily newspaper in New York City. I'm writing a story about a new luxury RV/yacht called the Terra Wind. It looks like an RV but can be driven into a lake and sail along the water at a speed of 8 knots. I'd like to know what you think about the idea. Would you want a yacht that looks like an RV? I can be reached by e-mail (jgershman@nysun.com) or by phone (212-901-2689). If you're interested, please get back to me soon because I'm on deadline. For more information on the Terra Wind, you can visit terrawind.com. Thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Do you do them in matching pairs? If they start at only $850,000 each I may take two, it would certainly save on mooring fees /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

Richard_Blake

Visit site
Having in the past leasurely toured American campsites, most of which are great, and many of which seem to be beside lakes, is this a way of getting away in the early hours without paying? The amphibious camper strikes again. Site owners peering underneath everything next year trying to see the propellor between the holding tanks.... Is 8 knots enough to avoid the white water though? Merryl Streep to the rescue in her rubber raft as soon as she's seen off the baddies and rescued the dog.
What happens if it hits Europe? An RYA RVMaster or Coastal Camper course?

<hr width=100% size=1>LowTech

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
What\'s American for tosspot?

Gosh. A journalist who is too lazy to do proper research and who trawls the internet for bits and pieces of ill-founded opinion. No relation of Alistair Cambell, by any chance?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

petery

Visit site
An ill-judged comment . .

An ill-judged comment I'm afraid.

The only way you can research people's opinions is to ask for them - and that's what the guy is doing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: An ill-judged comment . .

Agree. Far rather read an informed piece in the newspapers, than one from a non boaty journalist using his own opinion

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide

Strathglass

Visit site
It might be fine on a very calm inland lake but it could be dangerous if the weather turns foul and one could not find a suitable slip.

High initial cost, limited waterborne capability, fuel costs and potential insurance premiums may considerabely limit it's potential market.

It sounds a nice toy if one could afford it.

Iain

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site
Anyone tried phoning the contact numbers given to see if its for real?

It appears to be loating far too high in the water to have any sort of stability. And how large an engine to you need to push a square box through the water at 8 knots. And given the apparent lack of stability what happens if you put the helm hard over at 8kts?

Or has everyone other than me worked out that its a con?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Bowlocks

And how does a journalist know how qualified an anonymous voice on the web is to form a judgment on anything? Let's just say a rep from the floating RV manufacturer happened upon this. Or one from rival manufacturer. Or somebody whose family was killed in a RV accident. What chance of unbiased opinion?

The guy is lazy and can't be bothered to seek out those whom he knows are qualified to speak.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

1stmate

Visit site
But who in their right mind would want to buy one ! It's hideous - and marble floors and granite worktops - it must weigh tons ! Surely it's a wind up - only the Americans could dream this up.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
I wonder what sea-state she is rated to go out in? It looks a lot bigger than Ben Carlin's "Half Safe", and he took her across the Atlantic in the '60s. Mind you he was towing a trailer at the time.

<hr width=100% size=1>