The ex Neilson pontoon at Nidri. Lefkada

nickf

Visit site
Just got back from Nidri - Latest rumour is that Neilson are selling it to the hotel - so the assumption at the moment is that it will be available for visitors. But the rumours are rife.

SeamanStaines

Visit site
Please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that a watermaker has to allow H20 through and not NaCl. Given that a single Molecule of NaCl is somewhat smaller than any organism in sewage (and only slightly bigger than H2O) I cant see that there is anything going to get past the reverse osmosis process that is not totally safe?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that a watermaker has to allow H20 through and not NaCl. Given that a single Molecule of NaCl is somewhat smaller than any organism in sewage (and only slightly bigger than H2O) I cant see that there is anything going to get past the reverse osmosis process that is not totally safe?

Just for my own pleasure I looked it up. A salt molecule in water is complex, not just Na+ and Cl- ions. The sodium becomes [Na(H2O)8]+ with a size of about 250 pico-metres, where a pico-metre is a millionth of a micron, and solvated chloride ions. The smallest sized particles I can find are viruses, atmospheric dust, pesticides and herbicides which are .001 - 0.3 microns, or between 4 and 1200 times bigger.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk

Actually, it stops Na+ and Cl- ions from passing; NaCl totally dissociates into ions in solution, so you're not removing NaCl molecules but much "larger" ions. And that's different from stopping a non-ionic organic substance, such as most organic toxins. While reverse osmosis will certainly remove bacteria and viruses (in fact, the pre-filtering should remove most bacteria), I'd be less sure about it removing the toxins that are produced in an algal bloom. The toxins produced in a red tide or whatever are extremely poisonous at low concentrations, and also accumulate in the body. So even if the water-maker removed 99% of the toxins, the remaining 1% might be enough to make you seriously ill, even if not fatal.

I wouldn't chance it, because the risk attached to getting it wrong is too high.

SeamanStaines

Visit site
Wish I had not started this one, I knew my O level physics would not cut the mustard. So....... We are saying that the risk from the watermaker in possibly, slightly polluted water is greater than Greek water in general.

How does a seagull water filter fit into this as I thought it was supposed to remove anything nasty anyway?

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Wish I had not started this one, I knew my O level physics would not cut the mustard. So....... We are saying that the risk from the watermaker in possibly, slightly polluted water is greater than Greek water in general.

How does a seagull water filter fit into this as I thought it was supposed to remove anything nasty anyway?

It will remove particulate nasties (e.g. bacteria, mud/sand and so on), and a lot of things that cause bad taste or smell (e.g. chlorine, hydrogen sulphide) but not necessarily toxins - or at least, not well enough to guarantee safety. It won't remove dissolved substances like salt.