The cost of sponsorship

ylop

Visit site
Wearing one of the sponsoring company's suits?
Having camera crew in position in front of the boat and at exactly the time/conditions when the boat can be sailed at 45 degree heel?
Well the sponsorship obviously worked better on you than me! I couldn’t tell you who the sponsor is or that they make suits, but I suppose the attire makes more sense now. I’m not suggesting that it wasn’t a carefully choreographed stunt but I’m sceptical that the idea came from the marketing department of a clothing manufacturer…

Aja

Visit site
Personally not a clothing company I would feel comfortable being sponsored by.

dunedin

Visit site
Wearing one of the sponsoring company's suits?
Having camera crew in position in front of the boat and at exactly the time/conditions when the boat can be sailed at 45 degree heel?
If you knew Alex Thomson I suspect you would realise that he loved these sort of things, and if he didn't dream up personally (which he probably did) he certainly would have been very actively involved in the idea.
He benefitted hugely from the partnership with Hugo Boss, so why not return the favour with some iconic photos.
(Also ancient shot, suddenly dug up again now)

capnsensible

Visit site
If you knew Alex Thomson I suspect you would realise that he loved these sort of things, and if he didn't dream up personally (which he probably did) he certainly would have been very actively involved in the idea.
He benefitted hugely from the partnership with Hugo Boss, so why not return the favour with some iconic photos.
(Also ancient shot, suddenly dug up again now)
An old sailing buddy of mines wife was his PA for years. I'm reliably informed he's a good bloke. But of course that won't stop the green tinge......

johnalison

Visit site
And Porsche, and VW, and BMW, and Mercedes - lots of German companies did stuff for the Nazis during WW2.
And what about the Japanese companies.
I have never bought any of those but have two Audis on my conscience. I doubt if I could afford Hugo Boss, and Coco Chanel is not my style.

Stemar

Visit site
While I agree in principle with not buying stuff from companies who supported bad treatment of their employees, evil regimes, etc, ISTM that you're going to run out of people to do business with pretty soon. Is it right to punish people for what their grandparents did? I know nothing about HB's ethics today, but I suspect that the fast fashion sellers who buy from sweatshops who pay starvation wages are worse.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
While I agree in principle with not buying stuff from companies who supported bad treatment of their employees, evil regimes, etc, ISTM that you're going to run out of people to do business with pretty soon. Is it right to punish people for what their grandparents did? I know nothing about HB's ethics today, but I suspect that the fast fashion sellers who buy from sweatshops who pay starvation wages are worse.
Their historical ties with the Nazis seem a rather distant thong these days. But ask Joe Lycett what they’re like now. I’d go for petty, vindictive, small minded bullies.

flaming

Visit site
Their historical ties with the Nazis seem a rather distant thong these days. But ask Joe Lycett what they’re like now. I’d go for petty, vindictive, small minded bullies.
They're also out of the sailing Sponsorship game.

And AT is out of the IMOCA class as a skipper too...