Thames info.

G

Hi there,
thinking of moving my yacht up the thames at the end of the season to chertsey marina to work on her over the winter. She draws 4'6", is this possible? Anyone know where to find pilotage info on the river, and where I can unstep the mast?
Many thanks in advance Colin
Possum
East Coast UK

tony_brighton

Visit site
I think air draft would be more of an issue; after Tower Bridge they don't open so if you have a mast you may need it lowered. Not sure of a source of info - but try the Port of London Authorty for a starter, or the various marinas (St Katherines, Chelsea etc.).

miket

Visit site
Pretty certain South Dock, St Katherines Yacht Haven and probably Lime House and Galleon's Point, will unstep mast.

Depth should be OK. End of season should show normal levels. Be prepared to bump bottom (boat's!!) periodically. Usually soft mud or gravel.

Sammy

Visit site
Hi,
I have a yard in Chertsey and bring my 34' which has a 4' 6" draught back most winters to work on.
You can unstep at Southdock and St Katherines but be prepared to lose a tide getting in and out. I have made up shear legs which I assemble on board and drop the mast any quiet spot before Tower bridge.
No particular hazards as far as navigation but you will need to get the tide right to end up at Teddington at about high water that will get you through Richmond half tide barrage without having to lock through (about £ 5.00).
You can apply for a 24hr licence at Teddington lock but make sure you can do the trip within the time before 2400hrs the pass is Midnight to Midnight.
Have a good trip

G

Thanks Sammy,
That's great news. What are the facilities like at Chertsey? Also is there a pilotage guide/chart available for the Thames as far as Chertsey? Having never been up the thames before, I would like the ability to work out distances, time etc.
Kind Regards
Colin
Possum
East Coast

Sammy

Visit site
Hi Colin,
Facilities not bad choice of 2 or 3 marinas and some boat yards. Boatyards generally cheaper than marinas I have full cranage and all facilities as far as working on the boat is concerned you can do as much as you like we have no restrictions. we can also do any work professionally if you require.
The upper Thames info can be obtained from the Envioronment Agency at Reading or the Stanfords map of the River Thames is a good guide and should give you all the info that you require. If you cant find it anywhere I can post it to you good value for money at £ 4.99 +50p PP Lower Thames details I find a good almanac is the best choice Silk Cut or similar. If I can be of any more help give me a ring at the Yard on 01932 564699 and ask for Chris or Bev ( The boat is named Sammy R)
Good Sailing Chris.

G

Thanks Chris,
That's really helpful. Hopefully I'll meet up with you sometime late September. I'm going to head across to Chertsey marina tomorrow to have a look. I'll keep an eye out for your boat if you are there.
Kind Regards Colin

Other threads that may be of interest