thames holiday cruise - any suggestions

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
We will be going on our usual two week summer holiday on the thames to Abingdon and back in a couple of weeks. We have done this for about 10 years now and never get bored of it, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions on things to do and see, places to moor, that I may be missing out on.
Our schedule usually follows the following plan, which helps allow for pumps out, water top ups, topping up on suppliies etc.
leave Bray for Wargrave (usually because the Regatta being on, but this year we are a week early)
Beale Park
Wallingford
Clifton Hampden
Abingdon (two nights on the lock, which allows us to catch a bus to Oxford for the day if we want)
Days Lock
Benson Marina
Goring
Pangbourne
Sonning
Henley
Hurley
Marlow
Cookham

Are there any places we are missing out on? I notice that TVM offer Culham as a mooring spot, is there much to see and do if moored there (either in Culham or Sutton Courtney).
Are there any other places worth visiting that are a bus ride from any of these moorings. We normally go to Oxford by bus for a day, but I think we have seen most things there. Ideally we enjoy nice quiet villages or small towns, with a pub or two, that you can spend an hour or two away from the boat to stretch the legs.

thanks in advance for any favourite tips or advise.

Parabordi

Visit site
We have always stopped at the turning space within the lock cut above Culham lock and walked across the weir pools to Sutton Courtenay. There are a couple of nice pubs there and its a quaint little place.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
something that will be new on our trip this year, is a walk up Wittenham Clumps when moored at Days Lock. Everytime we pass them, I always think to myself I should walk up there to enjoy the view.

Brayman

Visit site
It's not clear whether you have ever walked to Sutton Courtney, if you havene't it really is a lovely village and used to have a couple of nice pubs there.
SImilarly, Dorchester is a lovely old village with a good selection of pubs, just moor near the Thame mouth and walk in across the fields. You can do Whittenham Clumps from the same mooring. Also Warborough, one of the quaintest villages around.

Actionmat

Visit site
Bus from the town square in Wallingford to Didcot Railway Museum. Steam days on weekends and school holidays.

If your trip coincides with the annual Hurley Regatta, it's well worth a visit, not boaty, but lots of mucking about in or by the river, beer tent, food stalls etc

TrueBlue

Visit site
The Culham mooring is only a layby next the footbridge, overhanging trees, no bollards, only suitable for folks who like to moor in the rough... If you need / must moor at Culham, then I've seen boats moored the other side of the bridge and the lockie said it wasn't part of the lock layby. Let us know how slow the lock is if it's on PP when you pass by. The head layby at Clifton has a 'proper mooring' at the far end...

I assume you can't get under Folly bridge in Oxford? The East Street moorings are pleasant, convenient for the City. I've seen quite big (tall) boats turn in the head weir stream without much problem)

miket

Visit site
We have moored at the Culham lay-by mooring. We usually carry a small hand scythe to clear an area next to the boat and out to the footpath. You then have 2 routes to Sutton Courtney. Right, over the wire and down the Sutton Courtney backwater. Very nice. Left, takes you to the road and then right towards the village.
There are a few pubs in the village. Last year we used the Fish. Very good it was too.
Lovely village.

Andy Soper

Visit site
We have moored at the Culham lay-by mooring. We usually carry a small hand scythe to clear an area next to the boat and out to the footpath. You then have 2 routes to Sutton Courtney. Right, over the wire and down the Sutton Courtney backwater. Very nice. Left, takes you to the road and then right towards the village.
There are a few pubs in the village. Last year we used the Fish. Very good it was too.
Lovely village.

+1 - and good dog walks with friendly local dogs to meet

Phill

Visit site
If you’re moored downstream of Henley, Hambledon is definitely worth a visit, if you’ve not been before. It can be reached from either bank and it’s a nice walk along a lane or through some fields. Lots of films and TV series were filmed there and a really nice pub.

Big John

Visit site
something that will be new on our trip this year, is a walk up Wittenham Clumps when moored at Days Lock. Everytime we pass them, I always think to myself I should walk up there to enjoy the view.

If you never done the Wittenham Clumps before I would suggest you take the side route to the top. If you go straight up the normal path expect to be a little puffed out by the time you get to the top. Once there it is a wonderful view. Unfortunatly the poem carved in the tree trunk sadly has now crumbled away but there is a plack that tells the poem near to where the tree stood.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
Some great tips and suggestions there, so thanks to all and keep anymore coming.

The Hurley regatta isn't on when we pass, but have looked online and does look like fun, so may make a trip there when it is.
Although the Didcot railway suggestion wouldn't appeal to me, it is ideas like that, which I am grateful for, so anymore tourist type places that are worth a bus ride / cab to are always welcome.
Sounds like Sutton Courtney could be worth a vist, if only for a walk in the afternoon.

No Regrets

Visit site
Looks like you have most of the decent places covered!

I took the Drone up the clumps at Days lock, it took a minute to get up, and obtained some good footage of my Wife and friends who walked up :p

dash300

Visit site
You might want to consider travelling the other way. From Kris Cruisers upstream and back. It would at least add Windsor, and Cliveden Reach to your experience.
Sadly as far as I am aware there are no other hire boat bases any further downstream from Datchet with Thames Ditton Cruisers no longer in operation.
Two weeks to explore further downstream from Cookham to Hampton Court would be a push from Abingdon.

prof pat pending

Visit site
Why stop at Abingdon?
Oxford is a nicer place by boat than it was.

You might like Woodstock.
Small town with a few nice pubs, with the added advantage of Blenheim palace if that sort of thing interests you.

Not really viable from Abingdon, but if you get as far as Oxford, you can bus to Witney.
Small town with more pubs than you can do in a day, some great restaurants, a couple of small local museums and some reasonable shopping.

Last edited:

Actionmat

Visit site
You not tempted to get off that river yet?

Doesn't cost much to get the S23 trailed and see somewhere new.

How can anyone who has more than a weekend at his disposal and a boat that can be slept in get bored of the Thames?
I'm getting ready for 3 weeks away, getting one boat ready for sale and the other ready for the trip, can't wait!

Last edited: