Test Your Flag Recognition

TheEcho

Visit site
If you think that gay and trans people are freaks and weirdos, have a ‘them’ vs ‘us’ view of right thinking sailors, and think that their overriding objective is to convert others to their ways rather than live their lives like everyone else, may I interest you in a one way trip to the 1950s?

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Bumbulum

Visit site
Echo, I can't make head or tail of what you wrote except that if you don't think that people who came up with many of those bizarre forms of sexuality aren't freaks and weirdos I can only think you must be right up there on the loonytunes spectrum too.

TheEcho

Visit site
And if one is knowledgeable in a certain area, then technical terms arise for different situations. As sailors we can hardly talk, haven’t you ever seen a new sailor’s eyes glaze over with cap shrouds, spreaders, doohickeys, thingeymajigs, and all kinds of names for similar but not quite the same rigs that are no doubt utterly baffling for some folk who find the modern names for gender and sexual minorities quite rational in comparison. So why should you decry being specific in these matters as “loonytunes”?

Old Bumbulum

Visit site
Moderator - what the heck does lack of diversity mean? Are you saying I don't kowtow to the beliefs that political (in)correctness expects us to?As a person with a mind under my control, not that of an an unknown, ininvited and unwanted non-entity it is my right to hold my own opinion and to express it too unless it causes grave offense. What I wrote did not. The easily spluttered will doubtless splutter as they always do but no offense could possibly be taken by that. Far, far more contentious and sometimes deeply hurtful things are written here on a daily basis. When we state opinions we always state our own and our own alone, look at every single post on this forum. We don't then go on to state ever other conflicting one too for "balance" (unless we're Radio 4) , that's not how anyone ever makes a statement.
I think a number of those definitions are weird and freakish as do most other people I believe. It is not a crime or indeed something capable of giving any offense to anyone whatsoever to hold a fair and reasonable belief that people who claim impossible and invented things are weird. Gender fluid? Gender queer? (I thought that Q word was forbidden in the warped, evil Aldous Huxley world of thought control and pc?)
So why the censorship?

I'd add to that the suggestion that by censoring opinions that are not fashionable, trendy or concur with the noise made by the crowd one is actually increasing a lack of diversity rather than correcting it.
Bear in mind what diversity means. It is NOT making everyone think and say the same thing, it is the very opposite...
Forcing people what to think and say is the real crime of or age, not opinions that are at variance with the trend.

Last edited:

Resolution

Visit site
Moderator - what the heck does lack of diversity mean? Are you saying I don't kowtow to the beliefs that political (in)correctness expects us to?As a person with a mind under my control, not that of an an unknown, ininvited and unwanted non-entity it is my right to hold my own opinion and to express it too unless it causes grave offense. What I wrote did not. The easily spluttered will doubtless splutter as they always do but no offense could possibly be taken by that. Far, far more contentious and sometimes deeply hurtful things are written here on a daily basis. When we state opinions we always state our own and our own alone, look at every single post on this forum. We don't then go on to state ever other conflicting one too for "balance" (unless we're Radio 4) , that's not how anyone ever makes a statement.
I think a number of those definitions are weird and freakish as do most other people I believe. It is not a crime or indeed something capable of giving any offense to anyone whatsoever to hold a fair and reasonable belief that people who claim impossible and invented things are weird. Gender fluid? Gender queer? (I thought that Q word was forbidden in the warped, evil Aldous Huxley world of thought control and pc?)
So why the censorship?

There's a fair amount of sense in what Old Bumblebum has written. The puritanical streak that is emerging in this country, in taking offense in things that have been said or written without meaning to be offensive, is alarming to those of us old enough to have seen how really nasty society can become. Aside from the obvious Hitler / Jew campaign, my generation has lived through the eras of McCarthyism (sp?) in the States and the cultural revolution in China. Be warned!

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Not the flags you a on about but these are the ones I like.

12mother.gif

12beer.gif

12cocktail.gif

12coffee_white.gif

12wifeashore.gif

12wifeonboard_red.gif

12bunnies.gif

My personal flag

12pirate.gif

Jolly Roger

Any one guess what the others are.

Old Bumbulum

Visit site
Guess what the others are?

12mother.gif

Snuff sex fiends

12beer.gif

Brewers droopers
12cocktail.gif

Underage babycham tricksters

12coffee_white.gif

Sleep deprivation deviants

12wifeashore.gif

Grab-a-grannyists

12wifeonboard_red.gif

Eunuchs (possibly complimentary to the other asexual flag?)

12bunnies.gif

Fast Breeders

12pirate.gif

Necrophiliacs
Or just possibly, corpses on viagara

JumbleDuck

Visit site
There's a fair amount of sense in what Old Bumblebum has written.

No there isn't. He just wants to spew hate at those he doesn't understand, or doesn't want to understand, because they are not like him. That's fine on the Stormfront forums, or at UKIP meetings, but I'm damned if I can see why he should be allowed to use sailing forums to vent his prejudices and make groups of sailors feel unwelcome.

The bile displayed in The Lounge is bad enough. Let's keep it well away from the sailing forums.

blog_rainbowflag1.jpg

Resolution

Visit site
No there isn't. He just wants to spew hate at those he doesn't understand, or doesn't want to understand, because they are not like him.

The bile displayed in The Lounge is bad enough. Let's keep it well away from the sailing forums.

I think you have misunderstood my message about where the hate/offense is coming from.
But I do agree this should not be on a sailing forum, so let's end it here and keep this channel for boaty bits.

TheEcho

Visit site
As pretty much every day is heterosexual pride day, I would be leery of anyone with a heterosexual flag. It is the default and most people get on with their heterosexual lives quite happily without feeling the need to deliberately attract more heterosexual folk (vs people, regardless of sexuality) to their friendship groups. I think it would quickly become an anti gay flag flown by people with extreme views.

Old Bumbulum

Visit site
Jumble, I think everyone here can see who it is that's spewing hatred and unpleasantly venting their prejudices at people who commit the heinous crime of holding someone else's opinion.
I realise you can't distinguish between humour or mildly ridiculing foolishness, prefering to misread it as hatred and prejudice but that is a very unpleasant trait. You really need to find out what constitutes hatred before sounding off at others. Start by reading your own posts.

prv

Visit site
Jumble, I think everyone here can see who it is that's spewing hatred and unpleasantly venting their prejudices at people

Yes, it’s the one calling several of my friends “weirdos” and “freaks” without ever having met them. If that’s not the very definition of the term “prejudice” then I don’t know what is.

Pete

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Yes, it’s the one calling several of my friends “weirdos” and “freaks” without ever having met them. If that’s not the very definition of the term “prejudice” then I don’t know what is.

Well said, that man. "I'm just holding my opinion" is no more excuse for homophobia than it is for misogyny or racism, and sexual orientation is not "foolishness". Perhaps if our friend had not until recently been forbidden from marrying someone he loved, or if he still faced hostility for holding hands with them in public, he might be a little more understanding.