Test Your Flag Recognition

VicS

Visit site
Recognise the flags

Dont know what half of the " sexual identities " are , never mind the flags

Whats the difference between bisexual and bi-gender ?

Polysexual ??? Just how many sexes are there ?

Concerto

Visit site

I laughed when I saw big ender, then realised it should have been bi-gender.

What a load of twaddle that is irrelevant to the vast majority of the population. There again if someone wants to be recognised for a particular grouping, let them have a flag for it. Must be a bit like the old school tie, only those in the know recognise it.

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com
Load of self-indulgent nonsense. Mind you, if you see a house flag at someone's spreaders made up of horizontal pinks and various pastel colours it could make for an interesting chat ...

capnsensible

Visit site
I am not a huge fan of flags, never saw the point of them. From time to time I remember to put that bit of material on the back of the boat.

Gender signalling certainly isn't an entry requirement to other littoral states, but best get your ensign and courtesy flags sorted for your big trip! :encouragement:

johnalison

Visit site
I'm really looking forward to spotting these flags on boats, now that I know what they are, sort of. I'm intrigued by pansexual. It sounds as if it includes Welsh farmers.

We need a Scuttlebutt prize for the first one photographed on board, or even better for one worn.

Daedelus

Visit site
Recognise the flags

Dont know what half of the " sexual identities " are , never mind the flags

Polysexual ??? Just how many sexes are there ?

I think a bisexual is a machine with two wheels and is much used in the Tour de France while bigender is that part of the piston that is secured to the crankshaft.

Hope this helps.

alan_d

Visit site
I hope these are internationally approved, otherwise the same pattern could be used elsewhere to denote something different. This could have consequences potentially more confusing than IALA Regions A&B.

Also, if used afloat would the signal apply to the vessel's owner, skipper or crew? If the latter, a string of flags might be required, but in what order should they be hoisted?

Might one be obliged to display the appropriate signal if requested to do so by the commander of a naval vessel?

prv

Visit site

That one's pretty straightforward - bisexual simply means you fancy both men and women. It doesn't say anything at all about what or who you are - man, woman, neither, both, or somewhere in between.

Bi-gender is somewhere in the "neither, both, or somewhere in between" - and no, I don't know what particular details differentiate it from the various other terms in that swirling pot. But it's about who you are, not so much who you fancy.

Pete

AndrewB

Visit site
From this forum 20 years ago(!)

Anyone remember 'Monty the Mountie' from Duncan, B.C., who asked if we used "the little blue flag" sailing in Britain? The flag, flown in an anchorage or marina, is an invitation to other yachts for wife- (or whatever) swapping.

A spoof? Sufficiently memorable that it had me looking out for little blue flags when sailing in Canada!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36384

From this forum 20 years ago(!)

Anyone remember 'Monty the Mountie' from Duncan, B.C., who asked if we used "the little blue flag" sailing in Britain? The flag, flown in an anchorage or marina, is an invitation to other yachts for wife- (or whatever) swapping.

A spoof? Sufficiently memorable that it had me looking out for little blue flags when sailing in Canada!

And did you see any, if so what did you observe or take part in?

TLouth7

Visit site
Before you make a cheap joke about someone's identity, do consider that while you may think these terms are irrelevant no-one forced you to interact with them. I hope that we all believe that these forums should be welcoming to everyone who loves sailing*, and marking out a section of society as as acceptable source of ridicule is not at all welcoming. If you do choose to interact with these terms then PRV has shown us how to do so maturely. If you think they are twaddle then that is fine, but you are not obliged to air your views in a public forum.

For what it is worth, the entire purpose of flags is to signal messages to people in a certain group, for example flying a Cruising Association burgee so that one can meet like-minded people when visiting a distant marina. No doubt the various flags in alan_d's link are used in much the same way within the LGBT+ community. No-one is asking you to learn their meanings, in much the same way that no-one expects the average gay club-goer to recognise an OGA burgee.

*Except people who sail in the Solent obviously.

TheEcho

Visit site
Load of self-indulgent nonsense. Mind you, if you see a house flag at someone's spreaders made up of horizontal pinks and various pastel colours it could make for an interesting chat ...

You are talking about the transgender flag. We were pondering having a house flag at one point, and got as far as considering what would go well with a RCYC ensign, and a transgender or an LGBT Pride flag was an option, as we usually sail with a transgender skipper and it would be nice for others in a similar situation to acknowledge us, come for a chat, and know that sailing isn’t as much of an old white straight male enclave as it is often painted. But we didn’t, mostly because we couldn’t be bothered with extra stuff and just want to go sailing, but if people are going to walk past, ridicule and snigger, perhaps it was the right decision, for the sadly wrong reason? After all as it has been said already people display affiliations to all kinds of other clubs with various interests and situations in common, but some are still discriminated against in society and their members feel on their own.

I am afraid transgender, gay, lesbian, bisexual, bigender sailors are just like other sailors in almost every respect and the “interesting chat” will probably descend into virtues of the Bruce vs the Rocna just like in here (Of course you may have met many in this category already but not realised). There is a special form of words that has to be said, usually when inebriated, for the transgender skipper to get out the emergency bolt croppers (for cutting away a dismasted rig) and demonstrate how they can also be used for anatomy modification on the unwelcome male visitor. Snip snip!

Old Bumbulum

Visit site
With that array of freaks and weirdos on the loose I think we'd do well to keep quiet about the Scuttlebutt, lest one of them takes it too literally and makes our eyes water... gender bender fluid?