Tension on twin forestays

Spuddy

Visit site
My boat has masthead rig with 2 forestays in tandem - fore and aft. I've borrowed a friends Loos gauge to play with and wonder what I should set this pair up to. Any suggestions ?

VicS

Visit site
You will find some instructions from our own Salty John HERE

But I would suggest that if the riiging is heavier than original then the figures used should be those for the original wire sizes.

Also take a look at the Selden Hints and advice manual

meldrum

Visit site
Thanks for that .I've got a cutter rigged yacht and have struggled trying to work out the best way for tensioning both correctly.As ive got her in the yard for a refit, i'll fit one before she's launched.

Spuddy

Visit site
I'd already checked the Selden site and Sal ty John's adds only a little to the Loos info sheet. I don't want to fit a plate cos that could mean new forstays. Thanks for the good intentions but I could still do with some suggestions on how to calc the load on each.

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
Start at 15% of the breaking strain of the wire and move up from there if you are experiencing excessive sag. Don't exceed 25%. The Loos guage booklet or the article on my site gives recommended starting settings for different wire diameters.
I'm assuming you have two forestays running to a single turnbuckle, in which case treat the stays as a single stay, if they are set up independently to separate turnbuckles it doesn't matter because the advice is the same, start at 15%.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
the article on my site gives recommended starting settings for different wire diameters.

[/ QUOTE ] That was what I referred to, quoted even, in my post, but you see the response it got so I deleted it.

He started by asking what they should be "set up to". I assumed he was asking what tension they should be tightened to, especially as he said he had borrowed a Loos gauge "to play with". Your site answers that question! Then he asks how to calculate the load on each!

God knows what the fellow is after, perhaps, because I don't!

Spuddy

Visit site
Well you're easily offended ! Far too many miserable old nit pickers on these forums now. I asked a question to which you gave links that didn't address it. Do me a favour and don't try to"help" in future.

BrendanS

Visit site
VicS has been giving great advice on here for years. If you aren't getting the answers you need, then clarify your question, as Vic is not a nit picker.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Far too many miserable old nit pickers on these forums now. I asked a question to which you gave links that didn't address it. Do me a favour and don't try to"help" in future.

[/ QUOTE ] Could any post be less in the spirit of the PBO forum?

VicS

Visit site
OK you already checked the Selden site, one that many people hold in high regard, and Salty John's site. I am not a clairvoyant so I could hardly have known that!

They appeared to answer the question you first asked and I attempted, in the now deleted post, to clarify a little further.

What did I get for my trouble "Not worth continuing".

I still do not understand quite what you are asking when you say "I could still do with some suggestions on how to calc the load on each." It seems a totally different question to the one you asked originally. What you need to know is surely the tension to set the rigging too using your borrowed Loos plaything. That's what it is for, what you appeared to ask and what is answered in the links given.

To calculate the loads imposed by the sails in various wind strengths while sailing is going to involve some fairly complex physics and maths and what use the results will be to you at the end if it I don't know. However if you feel you can get that level of help and understand it from your rigger good luck to you. We'll look forward to a detailed dissertation on the subject from you in due course.

Easily offended maybe, certainly upset by your attitude in this case.

And for the record I have always been a doer. I have never been a teacher!

sailorman

Visit site
[And for the recrd I have always been a doer. I have never been a teacher!]

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif