Temporary Liveaboard, long term charter advice needed!

Mwinda

Visit site
We have a chance to taste the liveaboard lifestyle by taking 3 months off the grind next Summer, so we're looking for a boat to charter for 3 months.
We're planning to start a trip in the Ionian as we know the area, then probably head South and see where we get to.
Any advice on suitable places/people to find a charter?
I've emailed a few brokers but they seem set up for weekly charters rather than long term and I'm hoping we can find a good deal for a longer term charter.
Any thoughts on long term brokers, or ways of connecting with private owners who may be looking to take a summer off and have a paying "boat sitter"?!
Cheers
Jonathan
S/Y Mwinda (which is sadly too small to take to Greece!)

Tranona

Visit site
We have a chance to taste the liveaboard lifestyle by taking 3 months off the grind next Summer, so we're looking for a boat to charter for 3 months.
We're planning to start a trip in the Ionian as we know the area, then probably head South and see where we get to.
Any advice on suitable places/people to find a charter?
I've emailed a few brokers but they seem set up for weekly charters rather than long term and I'm hoping we can find a good deal for a longer term charter.
Any thoughts on long term brokers, or ways of connecting with private owners who may be looking to take a summer off and have a paying "boat sitter"?!
Cheers
Jonathan
S/Y Mwinda (which is sadly too small to take to Greece!)

Highly unlikely you will find a 3 month charter. Weekly rate in the Ionian for a decent size boat averages close to £2000, so 3 months is £24k. Even if you were prepared to pay that amount doubt any operator would allow somebody to take a highly mobile asset away for 3 months without taking a deposit at least equal to the value of the boat. Equally no private owner would lend a boat for that period to a stranger and it would be illegal to charge you any fees as that would amount to chartering which requires a licence.

So, probably a non starter.

rivonia

Visit site
YES you can get a three month charter. Any charter company would be over the moon as there is a lull in the market. Try lefkas and Fliho (spelling) yacht club. Also hope some private charterers will get back to you on here. When we were in the carribean a few there used to charter out foe SIX months privately.

neil1967

Visit site
I think it would depend on when you wanted to charter. If it were during the peak months, when most charter boats are fully utilized,I doubt you would find an operator willing to block book for that length of time and give you any reasonable discount; however, if you were perhaps going to book April-June, when otherwise the yacht might only be used for 3 - 6 weeks, it might be achievable, and at a reasonable discount. I think you would need to look at some of the smaller operators, rather than Sunsail/Moorings etc.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
We have a chance to taste the liveaboard lifestyle by taking 3 months off the grind next Summer, so we're looking for a boat to charter for 3 months...S/Y Mwinda (which is sadly too small to take to Greece!)

Not tried myself, but I know three people who've looked into the long term charter route in the eastern Med and all found the same problems as Tranona reports above.
More positively, if what you want is to 'taste the lifestyle' then why not use Mwinda and cruise closer to home? South Brittany remains high on the list of 'best places we've been to' and during the three months of mid-summer should offer some great weather; the Western Isles we enjoyed too, but the weather there was sh1t! You don't say how big Mwinda is, but in 2003 we went cruising in our 27-footer to 'see if we liked/enjoyed it' and are still going now, more importantly we actually continued cruised for nine years and reached the eastern Med before exchanging the 27' for something bigger; you do NOT need a big yacht to go cruising, indeed unless you're overwintering aboard or crossing an ocean, I think that the +/- balance favours the smaller yacht; in summer you'll live predominantly in the cockpit, irrespective of how many berths are down below and it's exactly the same sunset whether your boat's worth £9k and 9m or £90 million and 90m metres - except that you'll find a more sheltered anchoring spot to watch it from if you're only 9m.

Mwinda

Visit site
Thanks for the various replies.
I accept it is tricky hence the request for advice! In my view/experience anything is achievable it just depends on how you negotiate the obstacles, which makes it fun anyway :)
It would be summer season (tricky +1 point) and we *do* need a bigger boat (than current 26') as 2 kids and the crew would walk on me if not more space. Also keen on relatively stable weather...
I did think of Sunsail, not approached them yet. At Vounaki they had a fair sized fleet of ex-charter boats waiting to be sold, and I assume they would rather have a season's cash than let them gather dust further. Having said that having watched general abuse and one unscheduled reef crossing by Sunsail boats it would be good to save the expense of bolt xrays before we go...
Comments and advice truly appreciated. Thank you.

neil1967

Visit site
We toyed with the idea of buying a yacht through one of the buy-to-charter schemes and then using it for a year (and foregoing the income) and then putting it out to charter. Sunsail were not interested; however, I know that it has been done with one of the smaller firms - we chartered a yacht in Turkey about 8 years ago, and the original logbook was on board, covering the first 3-6 months of the yacht's sailing, where she was used by the owner and family before then being 'released' for chartering. Clearly you need the cash upfront though........

RupertW

Visit site
A friend recently bought an old ex-charter boat from a little charter company in Croatia - only 32 feet and 20 years old but fully maintained and working. She basically had June, July and August that she could take off and for £12k had a working boat to enjoy the lifestyle. She has loved it and even if she had to sell the boat for a pound now it would have been worthwhile. As it happens she will mothball it until next Spring and decide whether she can do it all again.

Roger52

Visit site
What was the name of the Croatian company. We are thinking of a long term charter next spring/summer and buying instead at the right price has it's attractions.

Nick86

Visit site
One thing you hadn't mentioned is budget? I know a number of contacts that could be interested next year however they may want to have a member of their staff onboard during your stay for safety reasons.
Happy for you to PM me if you want more info.

Nick86

Visit site
I have a couple of contacts I could point you to. One has a 2011 50ft Oceanis that is available for all of May and June as they won't be in the country till late next year.

Any ideas of budget? I know he normally charges £2800 per week bareboat however I am sure he would make some discounts.

Happy for you to PM me for further info as I'll be more than happy to help.

Mwinda

Visit site
Dear All,
Thanks for the various tips, all much appreciated.
So Latesail came up with the goods - they found a few boats/companies interested starting sub-£9k - as with anything lots of variables.
So the exciting end point is we are now sorted and will be arriving in Levkas early June for a 3 month expedition.
All we have to do now is work out a passage plan!

jacaldo

Visit site
12 years in the Ionian, never been too hot, plenty of flotillas but plenty of hiding places, the only downside is not enough wind. I'm really jealous of your trip, you'll have a wonderful time, try to get down to the Peleponese.

DaveRo

Visit site
Dear All,
Thanks for the various tips, all much appreciated.
So Latesail came up with the goods - they found a few boats/companies interested starting sub-£9k - as with anything lots of variables.
So the exciting end point is we are now sorted and will be arriving in Levkas early June for a 3 month expedition.
All we have to do now is work out a passage plan!
Any geographic limits imposed? Ionion only? Greek waters only?

Mwinda

Visit site
Hi
Greek waters only, TBH we would not want to go further anyway, so not tested whether that could in any way be negotiable!