Temp residency Portugal

Heckler

Visit site
Mate in Albufeira just done it,
"Very easy they did accept Marina address and the only other things they wanted were passports and Fiscal number. Cost 15 euros each. And you were right it lasts the full five years."

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Just as a matter of interest, did they not ask for proof of medical insurance or means of supporting ones self?

When I applied for the 5 year residence and later permanent, they just glanced at finance spreadsheet I had prepared and handed it back. Never been questioned about medical insurance, good job because I don't have any. I managed to register with a GP at a health centre but not in Faro, they're a PITA to deal with due to numbers of sun burned tourists wasting their time.

Davy_S

Visit site
Thanks for the info, i applied and received one in Greece several years ago, it depended on who you asked, on what day, plus if there was an R in the month, as to what questions you got asked.:)

greeny

Visit site
Just as a matter of interest, did they not ask for proof of medical insurance or means of supporting ones self?

Obtained residency 4 1/2 years ago in Lagoa and was asked for allsorts including proof of earnings, current bank account statements, private healthcare documents, a document signed by the village president and 2 village residents to say i'd lived there for 6 months minimum, and numerous other bits of paper.
Obtained residency for my wife 3 weeks ago, again at Lagoa. Was only asked for passport, fiscal number. She already had the village document so she gave them that anyway. 15 euros and job done.
Why the difference? I didn't ask for fear of opening a bag of worms. Just took the certificate and walked out feeling pleased with ourselves. It's not often you feel that way after dealing with officialdom here in Portugal.

Graham376

Visit site
If you become a resident do you have to register your vehicle ie car and boat?

Boat remains on UK (or other) registry but comes under Portuguese safety equipment rules after 6 months. Cars are a different matter and "should be" imported after a set period but can't remember whether 3 or 6 months. IIRC, new residents can import a car they have already owned for 6 months at a reduced cost but many don't bother on the grounds they keep driving back to UK. Unless police see it parked in the same place every day long term, unlikely to be bothered. A non-resident mate enquired about changing his old Spanish reg Merc worth under £1k on to Portuguese plates and they wanted over €3k duty.

Visit site
Boat remains on UK (or other) registry but comes under Portuguese safety equipment rules after 6 months. Cars are a different matter and "should be" imported after a set period but can't remember whether 3 or 6 months. IIRC, new residents can import a car they have already owned for 6 months at a reduced cost but many don't bother on the grounds they keep driving back to UK. Unless police see it parked in the same place every day long term, unlikely to be bothered. A non-resident mate enquired about changing his old Spanish reg Merc worth under £1k on to Portuguese plates and they wanted over €3k duty.

Not quite so - any boat not on passage can be required to meet Portuguese regs.
Unless things have changed recently it is illegal for a Portuguese or a Resident to drive a foreign car.

Graham376

Visit site
Not quite so - any boat not on passage can be required to meet Portuguese regs.
Unless things have changed recently it is illegal for a Portuguese or a Resident to drive a foreign car.

After quite a few boats of various nationalities were pulled a few years ago, the RYA contacted authorities who agreed that boats visiting for less than 6 months equip to their flag requirements but those staying more than 6 months have to meet Portuguese requirements.

Car regulations are quite complicated but whether resident or not, you and spouse can drive your own foreign registered car in Portugal for a limited time but, as you say, a Portuguese/others can't drive your car. Info here - https://assets.publishing.service.g...705591/Car_Importation_Leaflet_-_May_2018.pdf

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site
As I understand it a Resident may,legally, only drive a foreign car which is in the process of being imporated.

Understood but, unless you tell the GNR you have residency when they pull you, they don't know. As you will have seen, there are cars of many nationalities driving around Portugal and drivers just say they are there on holiday which in many cases is true and of course residency can be held in more than one country, both of whom want it registered there. My brother in law was a car dealer who mainly dealt in German imports to order, used to fly to Germany and drive back in usually in a Merc which was then imported. Sometimes he would buy for stock and these were driven around on foreign plates until sold. Far cheaper than buying in Portugal as they have up to 45% tax on new cars, which increases second hand value compared to other countries. When applying for local parking permit for our Portuguese car, I asked if they would issue one for foreign plates and was told yes but only for 3 months, after which it should be imported.

P.S. Another catch is that a resident importing his/her existing car can't sell it in Portugal for, IIRC, 5 years, unless import duty is paid.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Question?

If I had temporary Portuguese Residencia, would I be able to fly the Portuguese Ensign on my boat in the UK?

As with may boats in the UK, it is not on any Ship’s Register.

It could make an interesting talking point in the club.

nortada

Visit site
Of course you would be able to and the skull and crossbones as well if that's what turns you on. :)

Good idea, could they fly the Portuguese flag with the skull and crossbones in top quadrant❓Afteral Portugal isn’t a million miles from the Barbary Coast. :encouragement::rolleyes:

Last edited:

RAI

Visit site
Do the GNR have a residents data base that they can check in Portugal? If so they can check residency of a driver even if he presents (say) a British passport and driving license and claims to be just a tourist.