Temp residency Portugal

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Do the GNR have a residents data base that they can check in Portugal? If so they can check residency of a driver even if he presents (say) a British passport and driving license and claims to be just a tourist.

Temporary residence is at local authority level so unlikely to be on a national database which permanent residence may be. My experience with GNR when pulled driving my Portuguese car on UK license was - "tourist? OK then pay now, we have a card machine".

nortada

Visit site
Do the GNR have a residents data base that they can check in Portugal? If so they can check residency of a driver even if he presents (say) a British passport and driving license and claims to be just a tourist.

Unlikely in the Portugal I know.

Just not the way it works.

maxi77

Visit site
As I understand it a Resident may,legally, only drive a foreign car which is in the process of being imporated.

That may be so but many I know do just this and I have not heard of problems. If you have residency it is sensible to get your licence registered with IMT in Faro

nortada

Visit site
That may be so but many I know do just this and I have not heard of problems. If you have residency it is sensible to get your licence registered with IMT in Faro

It is also prudent to have as little dealings with bureaucracy in Portugal as possible - sleeping dogs and all of that.

nortada

Visit site
Temporary residence is at local authority level so unlikely to be on a national database which permanent residence may be. My experience with GNR when pulled driving my Portuguese car on UK license was - "tourist? OK then pay now, we have a card machine".

Paying fine by card - I assume you use a UK bank account?