TEK DEK Part II

BarryD

Visit site
Looks good, and fun - all I need is a boat, unfortunately her who will be obeyed has also banned me from sharp objects following a recent finger tip outage. Has it helped at all with sound deadening of the engine?

Barry D.

G

Haven't run her up yet. Also have problem with stanley knives and body parts outages...

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Graham, had a look at Tek Dek at the Soton Show and I have to say I was more impressed by a rival product called Flex Tek (or something like that) which I could'nt distinguish from real teak. Did you take a look at this other stuff and why did you go for Tek Dek?

jfm

Visit site
Re: great job

Graham, that looks a super job, well done indeed.

One tiny bit of info re Fairline construction, for future ref. For the socket in the floor for the table leg, the screws are in fact set-screws going into a plate of tapping grade aluminium fibregalssed into the floor underside. So there are no nuts. Therefore you can unscrew the socket and put the teak under it, then refit the table socket so it's sitting on top of the teak, if you want. You might need 5mm longer screws, though we didn't there was enuf spare length.

Great job though.

JFM

G

Re: very tasty humble pie, this.

Wow, jolly good.

I had a look at the sealines with similar non-wood teak at boat show, and was about to ask if it was real or not, when realised that the question, if it needs asking, is pointless.

Great improvement, very smart.

G

Never heard of it. Th eonly alternatives I saw were the cork based one featured in a recent PBO which is twice the price, and the stuff that comes in 8x4 sheets, and looks crap.

G

Further update. It doesn't show from these photos, but it is possible to get results 'better' than what Tek Dek are showing at the boatshow. My own cack-handedness with the caulking gun meant that the Sikaflex ended up in places it wasn't meant to. In cleaning up and sanding down, I ended up with a finish somewhat smoother than standard, and the smeared caulking has added some colour variation and simulates a bit of grime. End result is decking that looks nearly new but lived in rather than immaculate and artificial (Matts - I apologise in advance to those whose boats are immaculate and real, but we can't all afford a deck-scrubbing-wallah).

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Got the details here. Its called Flexiteek and is marketed by Golden Arrow Marine on 02380 710371. I got a sample of both this product and TekDek and the Flexiteek sample is a slightly lighter shade and the grooves in the base are less pronounced. Golden Arrow say TekDek copied them but they would say that, I suppose; TekDek say their product is better as it sticks better because of the deeper grooves. Prices quoted at the Show were Flexiteek at about £80/sq.m compared to £66/sq.m for TekDek
Golden Arrow also say they'll come to your boat, make templates and come with ready made sheets of the stuff to stick down which obviously saves laying time
Pays your money, takes your choice, I suppose

G

www.goldenarrow.co.uk

Looks to be the same stuff, apart from the fact that they failed in the web department, so there's no images. So I'm guessing it looks like the same stuff

OK - update. www.flexiteek.as

looks to be the same stuff. They say they bought the technology in the UK, so I wonder if it really is the same stuff rebadged?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Graham_Wignall on Mon Sep 17 14:05:53 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Re: cleaning wallah

I don't know (do you?) how this new stuff ages. Real teak goes silvery-grey, so any improvement on that and we'll rip off the real stuff and get some of your gear on there.

Is the surface a bit porous, for grip when wet? And if you sand it down, it can't be like "plastic" which would look awful once sanded, and a different colour.

G

Re: cleaning wallah

Well, it's the same colour all the way through, so sanding it doesn't affect it. It also helps keep the 'grain', since the stuff shreds a bit like a cheese string (anyone without kids, please disregard this analogy).

They claim it's UV stabilised, so should stay the same colour. The surface texture is so grippy, it's unreal, and does not seem to be affected by wet. I tried posting a small sample to the board, but it got stuck in my floppy drive.

jfm

Visit site
Re: location

Graham where's your boat in case anyone wants to sneak a look (I mean just post which marina if you don't want to be specific for security reasons)

JFM