Tedium Has Set In!

G

There ain\'t no cure for the summertime blues !

Dear Mr Tar,

I am concerned that you feel that some of my ( and one or two others) ground breaking threads on sailing have failed to inspire you. For some reason your lack of jollyness has left you, and suggest a long bout of sailing is the only cure to get you out of this deep depression.

I must leave you now as a sudden idea for a new thread has just come to me on whether shoe laces on sailing shoes get caught up too often and should we be wearing gym shoes instead ?.

G

Voy.com

Have to agree that the above site is now going very well.

Marion has to be congratulated as she has been the driving force putting so much time and effort into making it a success that it surely is. It has more of a yacht club feel which suits some but not all. A number of it's contributors will only respond to certain people rather than Scuttlebutt which I think is more open in this respect. This was starting to happen in Scuttlebutt before the split and is perhaps why some of us look in but do not contribute.

Nothing is forever and it may well be that Scuttlebutt will fade away without some driving force like Marion. I think that James Jermain, if he had time, is probably the man to do it.

B

bob_tyler

Couldn't agree more. The monotony of miseryjacktar's 42 postings should be on voyeur website as it would fit there.

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Bob if that be yer namm Has Set In!

Not another character assasination from you Bob [if that be yer name], I thought we thrashed this out long ago when you objected to my original posting of a "nom-de-nautical" and you wanted to keep the board pure and pristine and free of all the rif-raf. Perhaps you should read my 42 postings if that is what you think, you might find out something, as I think that I have contributed some useful dried up old prune stuff as well, of the sort that you like reading.

But anyway for all the "Big Brother Watchers" I have other "nom-de-nauticals" and fortunately you have not twigged to these so without knowing it you have taken these postings on board as well.

Be prepared to repel boarders! Close the frontiers, bury heads in the sand.

G

Re: Tedium relief

They be funny sailing directions to find Voy. I tell 'e, it's that place with a Daymark on Gribbin 'Ed on the way down West, just past Udder Rock.

G

Tsk, tsk, tsk!!

Jack me old shipmate, you are going to upset uncle 'Bob' and the 'Big Brother' crew making postings like that!!

Implying that you may have more than one handle...whatever next?

Please, please , please don't tell them that the world is round!!

BrianJ

Visit site
Re: brainj

What an excellent question. I assumed that you were an inhabitant of that far away place called the United Kingdom. Why you ask, well here are my thoughts. Now I just might end up with egg on my face, if so then I will accept that I have made a terrible error of judgement. Caused perhaps because of a quick temper, a desire to put in my 2 cents worth without thinking and I guess shooting from the hip. Also the size of my brain…as you point out.
Assumptions.
1…You cannot be an Australian. We fight amongst ourselves but present a united front in public, rather like two brothers. They belt each other up but when someone else picks on either of them, he picks on both. Aussies are like that.
2.. . Your phraseology and wording are such that only a Pom would spell out your woes in such a way. A very distinct peculiarity of expression.
3…Your reference to my little joke about the English cricket team. Now that must have hurt. Only an Englishman would take that to heart as you did. I have a feeling the Poms don’t like being beaten by the Aussies as much as we don't like being beaten by the Poms. Not that that happens much these days, however if it did, even with my small brain I would be big enough to say, "we got done by a better team"
4….Seems you are not a Kiwi as you were not all that kind to them. Remember they also are our brothers and if you pick on them you pick on us. Mind you they are pretty capable of looking after themselves. You will however have to go a long way to find better sailors. I have mixed with many of them in the Pacific and they are "great" people.
5…"Jollyjacktar" is a bit of a giveaway also. Not a common expression out this way. That also gave me a clue as to your originality
6….We are in the worst drought since 1916 here in Melbourne and it’s the middle of winter, plus its cold. Perhaps the lack of sailing is getting to me. I shouldn't get too upset with your postings.
7…The timing of most of your postings suggests a break in "office work"

I do like the site, sure there are not so many contentious people positing but that’s good.
I too thought that there was a lot of repetition and the same old questions asked, then I said to myself hold on when I discovered the site I asked some questions that maybe have been asked before, no one however "did their nana" (an OZ expression) at me. So let's give them a go. Also I apologize for telling you to P off….that was rude.
Now an early night as I am playing golf at daybreak.
Now how do I address you. ? I at least show my name.
brianj

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Your a real brick

Brian you can take a good ribbing and give it back. Keep guessing. However you should know us matelots. We tend to become international. Too many, ports not enough homes and I am getting too old now to do much more than to rub an Aussies up the wrong way or bait a Pom and to enjoy a good chin wag or a leg pull. But I must agree with you those Kiwis are b****y good sailors, although they don't know much about tidal flows and mud flats. You're a real brick.

BrianJ

Visit site
Re: Your a real brick

Very well expressed and I agree. I wonder if we are in the same age group as our thinking is similar.
Now one more clue was handed out in your reply. I now shift my location to south of the equator, say South Africa...no if that was right you would have had a shot at me about our rugby team. So we are in Africa , an expat who has probably spent years in the old Rhodesia and now is in >>>?
I cannot even pick you up on your address book as it doesnt show up. ..More clues please.
brianj

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Not Sherlock Homes

Brian,
If I reveal too much my facade of rude arrogance would be taken as genuine and I would fear the consequences. I am mostly mild mannered, jolly and good natured and enjoy a pointless argument even more if fellow scuttlebutts take things too seriously.

This medium allows me to fantasize and move beyond the square and to brighten up an otherwise dull life for myself and I hope others as well.

Needless to say you have been foiled by my false clues and are miles off coarse. Please do not press me for more personal information, it will spoil the fun. Just watch this space and you never know, all may be revealed in good time.

Other threads that may be of interest