Teak

trays

Visit site
I treated the teak on my previous boat with stain and clear finish (I think it was Deks No 1 and 2, Scandavian?). Much elbow grease. Looked good for a few months. Then started to peel. UV no doubt. This is consistent with a letter that I read in a copy of PBO by someone who had tried the same thing.

I have just cleaned the teak on my new boat with Dekswood cleaner and brightner, which worked well. Then I used Tung oil (two coats). it was very easy to use, and the teak looks good.

I thought someone might like to know.

I will let you know how it stands up to the sun down under in due course.

It's winter down here, you know. Temps about 14 or so. Brrr!

Ray

<hr width=100% size=1>Ray

Ivy

Visit site
14 degrees? It dosen't get much more than that up here in the summer. In the winter it's bellow freeeeeeeeezing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

one day I might sail down there, but I would like something bigger than a Sadler 25 to do it in.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
You've been unfortunate with the Deks Olje. Are you sure you didn't have some sort previous treatment beneath it? My toe rails are lasting very well with DO 1 and 2 and we spent much of last weekend doing the coachroof hand rails. The No.1 is not a surface finish, it's designed to soak in, which it does to good effect. Difficult to understand how it can peel.

<hr width=100% size=1>

trays

Visit site
I sanded back to bare wood the toe rails and grab rails (which I took off) and stained them with several coats of the No1 stain. Then I gave them several coats of the clear finish (No 2, I think). They looked really good for some months. Then the clear started to peel or disentgrate off the top of the wood, and the wood underneath bleached.

But, then, I guess lots of sun and temperatures in summer of 30 +, to perhaps 40 (on a very hot day) does not do much good.

trays

Visit site
Fraid I am a fair weather sailor, and not much good then. I usually sail on my own in my 18' Careel on Lake Burleigh Griffin, or occassionally with someone who knows nothing about sailing - you know, the ladies who ask why you are pointing that way when you want to go over there?

I don't get much practice, and have improved little over the few years that I have been trying. Must try do sail more when the weather warms up to a more respectable temperature.

Suggest you contact "oldsaltz". He is up north and can tempt you with tails of sun, sand, etc.

Ray

Ivy

Visit site
Hi Trays,

I don't think it would be a good idea for me to contact Oldsaltz, it's turned cold and windy (F5-F6 Ithink) here today. Yesterday was 28 degs and no wind so I couldn't sail anywhere. any more tempting me and I might not go to work tomorow.

As for those that know nothing about sailing, I get asked why we have different coloured indicators on the front and none on the back ? ? ? ?

<hr width=100% size=1>