Teak screw plugs

Mikenda

Visit site
I want to finish of some joinery work with 8 & 10mm Teak screw plugs. Has any one tips for the correct size hole to drill as a test with 8 & 10mm drill bits produces a hole that is a sloppy fit for the wooden plug?

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Funny, but when I drill a 6mm hole, it ends up 6mm, or very close, are you sure the plugs are 6 and 8mm and not inch sizes? I've been caught like that myself. When fitting screws, I normally countersink the holes, using 6/8/10/12mm countersinks, which make a nice fit for the plugs. use varnish on the plugs to "glue" them in.
I would also suggest you use wood twist drills, the ones with the little guide "pin" in the centre, they give a cleaner hole. Rather than general purpose steel/wood "jobbers" drills. <hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ccscott49 on 24/10/2004 12:07 (server time).</FONT></P>

Prospero

Visit site
Stanley Tools used to make matching countersinks and plug cutters, I last bought some replacement countersinks about five years ago. The idea is that the countersink drills the pilot hole and cup for the screwhead as well as the hole for the plug, all at the same time. You have merely to preset the guage for the depth of plug you require. The plug cutters work best with a vertical drill stand and then with a dab of glue Bob's your uncle. Good luck.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Spyro

Visit site
This may sound a bit obvious, but why not try it on a piece of scrap wood first it will be good practice anyway.

<hr width=100% size=1>

towzer240

Visit site
try screw diggers & matching plug cutters or lock & load drill/counter sink bits should be available rfom any good toolshop through toolbank. stanley no longer do the screwmates

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by towzer240 on 24/10/2004 13:21 (server time).</FONT></P>

PeterStone

www.peterstone.biz
I found the same problem. My solution was to use a spade bit which I reduced in diameter by grinding a little off each side, tapering slightly towards the tip. This meant that the plug went in snugly but became a tighter fit the further I knocked it in.

<hr width=100% size=1>

cliff

Visit site
The plugs should be tapered so measure the diameter of the plug at mid section to determine the drill size required. this will allow the plug to enter easily and then tighten as it is tapped home.

<hr width=100% size=1>
hammer.thumb.gif

Joe_Cole

Visit site
I've never heard of that before.

FWIW I've always used parallel sided plugs and holes. So long as your tools are sharp you shouldn't have a problem; they should be a good fit without needing any more work.

<hr width=100% size=1>

PeterStone

www.peterstone.biz
Pillar drill and sharp new bits and plug cutters - both 10mm. Three refits/builds later and I've never found a bit/cutter combination that provides a perfect fit. If there is a make I haven't tried that does the trick please let me know.

However the solution I use of reducing the spade bit diameter works a treat and is quick and easy.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Joe_Cole

Visit site
I've always used "Trend" cutters in a router. Never had a problem.

I agree about the pillar drill. FWIW I keep my "plug" drill bit exclusively for just that one job.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ashbyg

Visit site
Axminster Tools (You'll find them on the web) do tapered plug cutters, 6,8and 10mm. They are about £8 each and you do need a drill stand, but the plugs fit almost invisibly.

<hr width=100% size=1>

cliff

Visit site
I have made and used literally thousands of plugs, all tapered. All the plug cutters I have are tapered so a 10mm plug might be 10mm at the top but only 9mm at the other end depending on how long I make them so using a 9.5mm hole gives a nice fit and the plug tightens itself as one taps it into place leaving a fine, near invisible glue line. Also one plug can fit different dia holes so I don't need to carry all sizes in stock - I can trim them off either end to suit the hole diameter.

<hr width=100% size=1>
hammer.thumb.gif

nealeb

Visit site
I'll drink to the Axminster plug cutters - made by Veritas, I think, and the tapered shape means that they fit well. Axminster also sell boxes of Forstner bits, and I would suggest that you take a look at those. They give a very accurate and clean hole with no tearing round the edge, which can be a problem with other kinds of bit. Drilling in a drill stand is best but they work OK in a handheld power drill, and probably more reliably than other bits under those circumstances. Just make sure that you use either metric or imperial and don't accidentally mix them!

<hr width=100% size=1>