Teak decks. HR finally admits it got it wrong!

Tranona

Visit site
From its changes to 2011 models document:

"When teak deck is ordered, this is now vacuum glued, without screws. This means there is more teak to wear off, and consequently you get an extended service life"

At last.

However I understand that when they make panels up (upside down) they hold the strips together with SS staples until the "glue" has set. I hope they take them out before they glue them to the deck!

VO5

Visit site
Can one of you share what this thread is all about - the clue is missing!

Thanks

It is a sort of Semaphore..I think I can decode it for you...

They are refrring to Hallberg Rassy Yachts.

What they seem to be talking about is teak decks screwed down instead of glued, I presume, on the basis that if the plugs sealing the screws are not looked after the decks wear down faster ?

As an aside the question is raised as to whether the thickness specified has been altered.

Formerly boats of this category were fitted with teak 8 millimeteres thick, whereas later in the industry the thickness was reduced to 6 and sometimes even 5.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Can one of you share what this thread is all about - the clue is missing!

Thanks

You build a boat with a waterproof deck, then you drill a thousand holes in it to screw down teak planks. Daft in principle. Daft in practise too because as the teak wears so the itsy-bitsy covers over the screws pop out letting water in and, hey presto, an expensive repair/replace job.

Glad HR has finally caught on. I glued a new deck onto Indigo in 2003. Took two coffee jars of screws out of the old one.

snowleopard

Visit site
When teak is scrubbed and left in the sun its surface becomes scored. It can be revived by sanding but if it is screwed down there is a limit to how far you can sand before you come to the screw heads. If it is glued down you can re-sand more times before it is too thin and has to be replaced.

Robin

Visit site
Teak looks nice for a while, but the reality is that look is trying to copy the deck planking of old wooden boats on a modern plastic one. In exchange for the boaty equivalent of the Barbour jacket and green wellies 'look' you get to spend a lot of extra beer tokens, not only on the first purchase cost but down the line in maintenance with a screwed deck especially and finally some poor person gets the big bill for removal and replacement. In the meantime the boat carries around unnecessary extra weight at deck level, possibly allowed for by extra keel weight but I suppose it all adds to the overall displacement figure that folk can claim shows their boat is more heavily built than others.

I like the look of teak, but not on my boats! Unlike those who can afford new boats however, I'm in the group that buys secondhand and teak decks seriously limits the choices I have because I will NOT buy such a potential money time bomb. We are currently finding this in the USA where we will soon be in the market for a liveaboard trawler yacht like Defever or Grand Banks. Defever saw the light eventually and stopped putting teak decks on as standard in recent years but Grand Banks are still teaking away merrily and screwed down teak. We are limiting our searches to boats that have had the teak removed already or never had it in the first place, that cuts out over 80% of potential boats on our wish list. Talking with brokers in the USA shows that we are not alone either in not wanting teak, so beware all those plonking it on their (new) pride and joy because down the line I think it will kill the value because us secondhand buyers have seen the light!

Little Five

Visit site
Teak looks nice for a while, but the reality is that look is trying to copy the deck planking of old wooden boats on a modern plastic one. In exchange for the boaty equivalent of the Barbour jacket and green wellies 'look' you get to spend a lot of extra beer tokens, not only on the first purchase cost but down the line in maintenance with a screwed deck especially and finally some poor person gets the big bill for removal and replacement. In the meantime the boat carries around unnecessary extra weight at deck level, possibly allowed for by extra keel weight but I suppose it all adds to the overall displacement figure that folk can claim shows their boat is more heavily built than others.

I like the look of teak, but not on my boats! Unlike those who can afford new boats however, I'm in the group that buys secondhand and teak decks seriously limits the choices I have because I will NOT buy such a potential money time bomb. We are currently finding this in the USA where we will soon be in the market for a liveaboard trawler yacht like Defever or Grand Banks. Defever saw the light eventually and stopped putting teak decks on as standard in recent years but Grand Banks are still teaking away merrily and screwed down teak. We are limiting our searches to boats that have had the teak removed already or never had it in the first place, that cuts out over 80% of potential boats on our wish list. Talking with brokers in the USA shows that we are not alone either in not wanting teak, so beware all those plonking it on their (new) pride and joy because down the line I think it will kill the value because us secondhand buyers have seen the light!

I am in complete agreement with you Robin. Have been looking for the next boat for about 6 months now and many of them have teak decks and as soon as I see that I move on.

FullCircle

Visit site
I asked Jeanneau to delete the teak decking in the cockpit of my SO35, but they wouldn't/couldn't as the panels are inlaid into a recess in the seating and locker lids.
So Iam have to have it. Nice to sit on, but it needs treating twice a season.

God knows why anyone has a teak carpet laid on their plastic boat. I think its perverse.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
I asked Jeanneau to delete the teak decking in the cockpit of my SO35, but they wouldn't/couldn't as the panels are inlaid into a recess in the seating and locker lids.

God knows why anyone has a teak carpet laid on their plastic boat. I think its perverse.

Thats right, if you like boat maintenance and want a wooden deck, buy a wooden boat! But if you want low maintenance so you can go sailing, GRP is the answer!

Robin

Visit site

Our last boat was a Jeanneau and also had teak in the cockpit set into recesses, but at least it was not screwed down and was in straight bits that could be replaced fairly easily.

Sailfree

Visit site
I bought our 2nd boat in 2001 as it was a unsold SIBS boat. It came with teak decking. Next boat I did not want teak as I recognised what a long term potential problem it would be.

I was really surprised when visiting the Jeanneau factory in 2005 to witness a teak deck being fitted to another boat with lots of screws into the GRP. I assumed on production boats they would just glue some factory made teak topped board in place. It was so labour intensive and detrimental to the original GRP deck

Sailfree

Visit site
There are teak decks and then there are teak decks.

There is no doubt that some of them are in need of repair from 10years on, but there are other boat's decks which are still in good shape after 15-20years. I know, because I own one !!

Out of interest how is your teak deck different.

I know if you dont scub it, dont clean it and dont walk on it they last longer :)