Teak decks. HR finally admits it got it wrong!

Little Five

Visit site
Mine are in good condition for their age!

My point is that one shouldnt automatically assume teak decks are a problem on boats, purely based on age.

The overriding consideration re teak decks is that people are increasingly swerving away from them in used boats because there is an aging problem- they will eventually be bolloxed. So it is about age and sell-on value

Robin

Visit site
Mine are in good condition for their age!
My point is that one shouldnt automatically assume teak decks are a problem on boats, purely based on age.

Moody near us a year or two back had to have theirs redone at 15 years. HR the other side about the same age had theirs 'renovated' which took 6 weeks of two guys working full time (guess how much!) to remove x-thousand screws, seal the holes and replace with flattter head special HR supplied screws to (just) allow room for new plugs. Following summer and they lost another 4 weeks sailing whilst all the seams were raked out and redone because the goo used was a faulty batch. I really love moulded in non-slip or even Westerly paint!

BTW we turned down a Starlight 39 before we eventually bought our last Jeanneau, because it had teak decks 'just needing a little TLC' according to the broker.

johnalison

Visit site
HR, and probably Najad, have always been generous with the thickness of their decks and most 20 yr old examples I've seen have been perfectly OK, though some have needed sanding & recaulking. I believe the HR statement in the OP implied that doing without screws would mean that the owner could continue to sand & recaulk for longer rather than that the original arrangement was defective.

Anyway, we HR owners are above worrying about such minor matters.

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
The overriding consideration re teak decks is that people are increasingly swerving away from them in used boats because there is an aging problem- they will eventually be bolloxed. So it is about age and sell-on value

In general maybe, but walking away from a boat solely because it has teak decks is a little narrow minded IMO. Their condition can be taken into account in a deal. I know somebody who has just bought and completely redecked a 1976 Swan 41 and ended up with a stunning boat.

Stork_III

Visit site
Moody near us a year or two back had to have theirs redone at 15 years. HR the other side about the same age had theirs 'renovated' which took 6 weeks of two guys working full time (guess how much!) to remove x-thousand screws, seal the holes and replace with flattter head special HR supplied screws to (just) allow room for new plugs. Following summer and they lost another 4 weeks sailing whilst all the seams were raked out and redone because the goo used was a faulty batch. I really love moulded in non-slip or even Westerly paint!

BTW we turned down a Starlight 39 before we eventually bought our last Jeanneau, because it had teak decks 'just needing a little TLC' according to the broker.
If nothing else HR take the trouble to offer slim head fixing screws and replacement teak plugs for the purpose, who else does. 2 men for six weeks and using faulty caulking, sounds like cowboys taking the P. Using the condition of Moody teak decks as a general example is not a good idea, the original quality was not the best anyway.

Last edited:

Stork_III

Visit site
Best place for you. I imagine that being down below as the drips hit you on the head is even more worrying. :D

You will find that the screws used do not penetrate the inner skin, and being Dynacell foam core, IF water gets in it doesn't go anywhere. And I don't dislike Bavarias.

Last edited:

Robin

Visit site
If nothing else HR take the trouble to offer slim head fixing screws and replacement teak plugs for the purpose, who else does. 2 men for six weeks and using faulty caulking, sounds like cowboys taking the P. Using the condition of Moody teak decks as a general example is not a good idea, the original quality was not the best anyway.

The faulty corking was from 3M. The job done by the guys itself was otherwise excellent, not cowboys at all. HR obviously had so many complaints they HAD to provide the stuff to make it good('ish). I'll lay odds HR sold the screw kits at a tidy old mark up too!

You will find that the screws used do not penetrate the inner skin, and being Dynacell foam core, IF water gets in it doesn't go anywhere. And I don't dislike Bavarias.

Water from the deck screws found it's way under the decking to the genoa track bolts, which DO penetrate the inner skin and other fittings as well and followed those to weep below into the cabin.

Dumb idea of the century IMO whoever fitted it to whatever make of boat. Making a watertight deck and then drilling thousands of hole in it, takes real genius.

EuanMcKenzie

Visit site
its gloss

its a bit like range rovers going more and more up market over the years

My old HR Rasmus is 40 next year and has a moulded GRP deck not a teak one. It has handled the years well which is surely what a quality boat should be about.

Wouldn't have bought it if it had a teak deck. Too big a bill to repair relative to the value of the boat.

While the guys with the money buy a boat for glam and image teak decks will continue to be fitted.

Same with gizmos in the range rover. Thats why luxury cars depreciate so much in teh longer term. Greta till you get hit by a big bill.

Not sure HR are as bothered about building for such a long lifespan of use now as they once were.

Guess if you can't afford the bill you can't afford an HR

Talulah

Visit site
I just can't imagine our Najad without a teak deck.
Equally I can't imagine our Dufour with a teak deck.
For the Dufour it's a cosmetic extra that has no beneficial effect.
On the Najad it's integral to the design and it looks right.

GrahamM376

Visit site
In general maybe, but walking away from a boat solely because it has teak decks is a little narrow minded IMO. Their condition can be taken into account in a deal. I know somebody who has just bought and completely redecked a 1976 Swan 41 and ended up with a stunning boat.

I like the look of teak decks but I walked away from a HR after survey, it had a couple of loose planks on the side deck and the quote for strip and refix was £7,000. Also, I was talking to a guy a couple of weeks ago who had just had his 40ft boat re-decked £50,000!!! No way do I ever want one, there comes a time when BIG expenditure will be necessary. Also, shoes needed in hot climates whereas I don't need them on my non-slip GRP.

Babylon

Visit site
I look up to him but down to him

Anyway, we HR owners are above worrying about such minor matters.

Err.. and us Vancouver owners are above those who are above worrying.

Our teak decks are almost 30yrs old and in pretty good condition. I keep them that way by being above scrubbing - despite being too poor to pay anyone else to do the scrubbing for me.

Funny thing, class.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
Before HR gets too much stick for their teak decks, read one of my (many) contributions on the subject here. The market drove HR into continuing with teak decks and the only way was to screw them to the composite deck on a silicon spread, as mine is.

It is only relatively recently that the technology has released builders from having to screw their planks down. Even so, plantation teak is not the same quality that once went into decks. Still best to ignore the stuff.

Guitarrich

www.richandrews.co.uk
No such worries in Turkey. Every boat around us seems to have a brand new Burmese teak deck. We're having our 30 year old teak (originally 14mm) re-screwed and caulked for €3500 on our Trintella 44. A complete bargain.

Yes we had some leaks last year, but I LOVE the teak. It's so grippy and feels so nice underfoot, apart from the good looks. The now elderly archetect happened upon us during his holiday in Greece. "Shouldn't have put teak decks on it" he said.

So there we are - from the horses mouth. I still love it though!