Tax on diesel

jimi

Visit site
If, heaven forbid, Greedy Gordon slaps tax on marine diesel will this change the face of boating in the UK? Will powerboat prices plummet?

<hr width=100% size=1>.. whit way roon should it be again ..

tcm

Visit site
wouldn't have though so. 100hours a year is normal for a powerboat, so relative to all the chandlery, depreciation, moorings and so on, the cost of the diesel ain't that massive, really.

<hr width=100% size=1>

TwoStroke

Visit site
I don't think they'll plummet, but they will come down. At present there are cost savings by going diesel, this will disappear if alignment comes in. Manufacturers are going to find it difficult to justify such a premium and this will have a knock on effect on the s/hand market - especially 22/30ft market - similar to the change in the car market.

<hr width=100% size=1>
fishing_boat_md_clr.gif

bigmart

Visit site
Ah but what about the extras when they bring in light dues & licensing. Will that alter peoples attitude to Motor Boating & the prices of said boats.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

miket

Visit site
Why would you assume new diesel engined boats will come down to meet petrol engined prices? (if that is what you had in mind).

More likely balance closer to diesel engined prices.

Personally, on safety alone I would never buy a petrol engined boat, despite having owned one in the past.

<hr width=100% size=1>

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I dont agree with that. Take the average 40' power boat consuming say 20 galls/hour for 100hrs per season. Marine diesel in the UK at the moment costs say £0.30/litre (£1.36/gall) and say the price goes up to road fuel price at £0.85/litre (£3.86/gall)
Thats an extra £2.50/gall which will cost an extra £5000 per season. Thats as much as many people spend on mooring their boats for a year and whats more, unlike depreciation, it's an up front cost that SWMBO will immediately spot on the credit card statement and give her massive ammunition to hit long suffering husband with. " Do you realise that the money you spend on filling your bloody boat up with fuel could buy us a conservatory/patio/attic extension/new sofa/ redecorate the house/divorce (delete as applicable)". The memory of my SWMBO going ballistic when I signed a credit card voucher for the best part of £1000 to fill up my T48 in LaNap is still very fresh in my mind
So, I think what will happen is that whilst I dont think boat sales will be affected too much, people will start to think much harder about how much they use their boats. "Lets go to Weymouth for the weekend. Sod off thats £500 of diesel there and back"
Oh yes, and there'll be a lot of people going to the Channel Islands for duty free fuel. Mr Boatworks in St Peter Port will become even richer than he is now

<hr width=100% size=1>

robind

Visit site
The most accurate forecast so far is that Blair ( yes he will still be in the presidential seat then) in 2007 will listen to the RYA survey and go ahead anyway with the tax increase. Disgruntled Motor boaters will sink all boats over 30 feet on the Thames outside the palace of westminister, london will come to a stand still and the current British boat industry worth £800 million in tax to the Government, will collapse. Benetou, Bavaria, etc will flood (even more!) the UK market with engineless sail boats and pontoons will be wrecked all over England (as ex powerboaters crash into them whilst "sculling" to their respective berths.) Time to pull out of the Commmon Market and Vote for the "pensioners party" IMHO
Rob

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rejuvanu.com>RejuVanu</A>

oldgit

Visit site
Hmm this only comes up er thrice weekly from someone wishing to stir up a bit of apathy.It will make no difference at all to us stinkies cos as the hole world kno we are stinky rich and all it will mean is that the custom made hand sewn monogrammed fender socks ordered at the LBS will not have the words Fairline Targa in 21 carat gold braid sew on em this time round

<hr width=100% size=1>If it aint broke fix it till it is.

derekh

Visit site
I'll just nip over to Donegal and get some green stuff. If that goes up the same road as red I'll get friendly with a local farmer who will fill my bowser. should that fail, well darn it I'll just bite the bullet and continue loving boating and drink less wine. A sacrifise I have not made 2nite

<hr width=100% size=1>Work ? don't be daft , the suns out.

deputydawg

Visit site
I certainly think smaller 25 ft single diesel engined boats will become less desirable as the performance is compromised with such low horsepower figures , I was thinking of going for one myself but came to my senses when realised this tax hike could happen and when my current boat is sold will going for a boat with a V8 vroom vroom!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldgit

Visit site
Re:at least you will get home again.

aha you may lose a knot or two but you will have greater range and reliabilty.Just look at any older diesel and its equivilent rusty nightmare of a petrol horror.
Petrol is fine as long as you keep it 100 miles away from water,that includes any mildly damp grass in the western hemisphere./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>If it aint broke fix it till it is.

craigw

Visit site
Well one posative thing will come out of it..
You lot with smelly diesels will know just what us petrol heads have had to put up with on a permanant basis. and at last we won't be hearing the old ...bet that costs a lot to run mate?

<hr width=100% size=1>If it seems too good to be true....it is!

byron

RIP
Visit site
Some enterprising Greek Ship owner will anchor a redundant Tanker outside the 3 mile limit and supply tax free fuel from there.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk