Targa 40 Interior Lights

jcwads

Visit site
There is probably a very simple answer, but how do I remove the down lights to change the bulbs on the T40? Changing it all to LED.

Thanks!

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
There is probably a very simple answer, but how do I remove the down lights to change the bulbs on the T40? Changing it all to LED.

Thanks!

It's so simple it's hard to describe. Pull them down. They just use standard downlighter springs, 180 degrees apart. The springs are strong so try not to ping your fingers with them.

JerryC

Visit site
The cantalupi downlighters use halogen capsule bulbs. If you find a LED bulb to fit at a sensible price which does the job, please let me know. I remember reading on here that some people with deeper pockets than mine changed the entire fittings throughout the boat.
cantalloupi.jpg

Last edited:

jrudge

Visit site
Bear in mind that leds are usually longer and thicker than the halogen equivalent.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/120979880264

On my s58 the length limit is 26mm. The above are 22mm. I will find out if they fit next time I am down.

I have good success with eBay leds but if ou have not bought yet I would suggest you buy a few to check fit and light quality ( some are almost green in shade) and then buy more once you are happy.

The springs on the lights are held by soft metal legs in the light casing. So soft they tend to break off and this seems to have little to do with how gentle you are with them. I have a fair number broken so I am replacing all in the master cabin and using the rest to fix.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
The cantalupi downlighters use halogen capsule bulbs. If you find a LED bulb to fit at a sensible price which does the job, please let me know. I remember reading on here that some people with deeper pockets than mine changed the entire fittings throughout the boat.
View attachment 68663

I changed all the fittings in mine to Cantalupi led fittings, which were very generously donated by jfm. Makes a huge difference to current consumption, and the square fitting is a more contemporary look (to my eyes, anyway). The only fitting you can't replace is the one in the heads where the ceiling panel is moulded to fit the light fitting. For that one, I just replace the innards of the light fitting with the innards of one of the led fittings.

JerryC

Visit site
Jrudge, Thanks for the link and do please post if they fit ... the Cantalupi reflector tapers down to a 15mm hole at the bulb socket. The diagram with measurements on your LED link shows 14mm width but omits to show the wider octagonal pcb at the pin end, so it might need some modding.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I changed all the fittings in mine to Cantalupi led fittings, which were very generously donated by jfm. Makes a huge difference to current consumption, and the square fitting is a more contemporary look (to my eyes, anyway). The only fitting you can't replace is the one in the heads where the ceiling panel is moulded to fit the light fitting. For that one, I just replace the innards of the light fitting with the innards of one of the led fittings.

J, have you still got the ones you took out?

Hadenough

Visit site
View attachment 68663

Try these https://boatlamps.co.uk/ no connection just a happy customer

jcwads

Visit site

Thanks for info. I managed to get the lights out, albeit breaking one spring...

As per your post above, did you replace the Cantalupi lights in their entirety or just the bulbs?

LUNA

Visit site
yeah recently changed all mine.. draws alot less amps from batterys now too , i guess running about 200w with the standard " hot halogens" lamps :)

Loads out there to choose from , just Order the G4 led lamps, some bit longer but they fit fine, can allways trim pins a bit but never needed to..

Like these for example
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dimmable-4W-6W-G4-COB-Led-Bulbs-SMD-Light-Lamps-Replace-Halogen-bulb-DC-AC-12V/292149108395?hash=item4405719eab:m:m2gtkbojCHAD5MIWDk3tOyA

id go for warm white, had cool white on other boat and wasnt as nice light, but up to you :cool:

DpuGx7q.jpg

bWJyVA8.jpg

Last edited:

jrudge

Visit site
Mine are Dallas.

You can no longer get them so I am buying some off coastal rides that should fit to release some for the broken ones

They are of course now rare antiques and can be sold for mucho euro !

The lugs that hold the springs snap off

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com