Tank hatch for uneven surface

mullet

Visit site
My stainless diesel tank has no inspection hatch. I’d like to add two but the top surface of the tank is not particularly flat (it’s is quite small - around 40l - so I assume this is due to stresses when it was welded).

Any suggestions for a hatch design that will seal well, even though it wouldn’t be on a totally flat surface? Would a neoprene gasket be a bad idea with diesel? Try to hammer a steel plate to match the unevenness of the tank top, then bolt it down?

It’s on a sailing boat so the fuel will wash around the hatches when heeling with a fullish tank, hence the need for a perfect seal. I bought some Wema hatches but I don’t think their gasket is big enough or flexible enough to conform to such an uneven surface (and I’m hesitant to cut into the tank until I have a hatch/solution I’m confident will work). Also a bit concerned that the uneven surface might change shape when I cut holes in it…

Plum

Visit site
My stainless diesel tank has no inspection hatch. I’d like to add two but the top surface of the tank is not particularly flat (it’s is quite small - around 40l - so I assume this is due to stresses when it was welded).

Any suggestions for a hatch design that will seal well, even though it wouldn’t be on a totally flat surface? Would a neoprene gasket be a bad idea with diesel? Try to hammer a steel plate to match the unevenness of the tank top, then bolt it down?

It’s on a sailing boat so the fuel will wash around the hatches when heeling with a fullish tank, hence the need for a perfect seal. I bought some Wema hatches but I don’t think their gasket is big enough or flexible enough to conform to such an uneven surface (and I’m hesitant to cut into the tank until I have a hatch/solution I’m confident will work). Also a bit concerned that the uneven surface might change shape when I cut holes in it…
this type of hatch seals against the edge of the opening rather than the top surface so less critical of a flat top Inspection port Ø120 mm- universal post for diesel and wastewater tanks

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

mullet

Visit site
this type of hatch seals against the edge of the opening rather than the top surface so less critical of a flat top Inspection port Ø120 mm- universal post for diesel and wastewater tanks

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
Thanks for the suggestion. I might be misunderstanding how it works, but I can't see how the bit that sandwiches the inside/outside of the tank would make a good seal on an uneven mounting surface. Does it have a lot of flex, or a thick compressible gasket, or would it rely on using lots of sealant?

Plum

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I might be misunderstanding how it works, but I can't see how the bit that sandwiches the inside/outside of the tank would make a good seal on an uneven mounting surface. Does it have a lot of flex, or a thick compressible gasket, or would it rely on using lots of sealant?
As the two parts of the collar are clamped together a rubber sleeve expands outwards sealing against the cut edge of the hole without sealant.

mullet

Visit site
Update in case anyone cares(!): I cut the hole in the tank and it released some tension and the whole top of the tank ”popped” back into shape and evened out to near enough flat - so the Wema hatch did the trick. Many thanks @Plum and @PCUK for taking the time to reply with your advice all the same.