TAMd63pA Gearbox

ian38_39

Visit site
Just got our new to us 1998 F43 back to Norfolk from Croatia,

She has had a good 300 mile shake down run up the coast of Croatia to Slovenia and then from Holland to Lowestoft.

Nothing major but have a faulty oil pressure warning alarm sender (swapped to other engine to prove), an alternator that stopped charging and a fuel solenoid stop valve that won't stop. More worryingly though when we got in from the crossing of the North sea I could not get the port engine out of gear. reasonable force was used but to no avail, stopping the engine however released the gear straight away and now, although a little stiff (no more than other or prior to sticking), the gear selects and disengages no problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ian

kashurst

Visit site
I have had that on a 63p gearbox. on mine it was a rust build up on the selector input shaft. If the boat has not been used for a while everything starts corroding etc. Take off the selector cable and squirt a bit of wd40 around the shaft and manually work it back and forth, you will feel when its running clean.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Does it have cable control of volvos edc control?

If the selector valve on the gearbox is stiff the actuator won't work and be overloaded.

The stop issue can be dirt into the valve or a bad connection on the stop solenoid magnet.

Bandit

Visit site
I have a pair of 63P's 001 Vintage with ZF/ IRM 220Awith Volvo Penta EC Controls .

A few years ago I had problem when trying to berth ad one engine would not go into astern, ended up with an embarrassing prang ad stuufed deck rails.

T EC Control pull or push a bowden cable which connects to a selector lever on the gearbox on the outside. To stop creep in or out of gear there is a Tube which is spring loaded with a ball bearing on the end which sits in three positions ahead, neutral or astern, in my case this spring and ball bearing was dry and corroded and would not select as it was too stiff for the EC control solenoid , hence would not select astern.

The manual also says a Burnt clutch would stick it in gear.

ian38_39

Visit site
Thanks all, it does not have EVC so actuators and clutch sound the most likely, hopefully it is the cheaper option.
Will be oiling and moving bits the weekend.

ian38_39

Visit site
It is 1998 so it is the old manual twin station controls, the initial thought was change over mechanism but the fact it was really stuck yet as soon as the engine was turned off it released moved thoughts away from this