Taling 33 as offshore cruiser

Boh999

Visit site
Hi all!

Just joined this forum! I am from Sweden, looking to gain insight into offshore cruising. We are planning ARC 2018.

We are: me and my wife and two kids who will be 8 and 9 at the time of departure.

I am looking at this Taling, but have a few questions about Taling in general and this one in particular:
http://www.blocket.se/ostergotland/Taling_33__Langfardsbat__62792154.htm?ca=14&w=1&last=1

What I am looking to gain insight into is how the plastic is constructed. The seller showed me a drill core from the roof, it does not look like a traditional sandwich laminate, with an inner core of basla or "divinycell". Looked rather like solid plastic all the way through, but some kind of thin material between the laminates. So can the hull or deck get moist/water damaged? This is a common problem with sandwich laminates.

The boats seemed like a solid one for offshore crusing. Perhaps to small for us, but we have to sacrifice a bit of space if we are to get a boot in good condition + fully or partly fitted for offshore cruising.

Will the Taling do is the question, perhaps to small? From reading posts it seems the majority will answer yes to that, but I want to counter that with the fact that in the 70s, a 30 feet boat was considered large and there are examples from that time when families of five took the journey we are aiming at with a boat of the Taling size or smaller. It would give us a much better economical start of this project if we purchase this boat rather than a Amel Sharki 39, HR 352 or similar, for much more money. And I don't want a teak deak anyway, please.

Having a hard time as we really liked the boat (clean deck, easily traversed etc), but we are at the same time genuinely concerned about the interior space. Will everything fit and what will happen when loading the boat with 1000 kg of stuff? And will we kill each other after a few months, not having more cabins with doors to shut. :)

Tranona

Visit site
Welcome to the forum

That size boat for that sort of voyage with a family of 4 including two growing children sounds like a recipe for mutiny! - but of course it depends on how you all get on with each other. However with that amount of space it will be like camping on the water. suggest you configure one of the rooms in your house to be the same shape and size and try living in it for a week.

That sort of boat was indeed what many single persons and couples used for ocean voyaging in the past - but only because that is all that was available at a price they could afford. nowadays you would be looking at around 40' as a minimum probably with an aft cabin to give everybody some private space and volume for 4 people's belongings and stores.

Don't think you will find anybody here with experience or knowledge of that particular boat as it was not sold in the UK 9or probably anywhere outside Scandinavia).

So, in a sense you have answered your own question. Suggest you look at boats like the Moody 376 or similar size Westerlys, which are now available at very attractive prices - although recognise that they are 30 years old and vary in condition.

dansaskip

seabear.uk
I know I will be in a minority but no I don't think it too small at all. I crossed the Atlantic (Canaries-Cape Verde - Caribbean) in a 28ft boat last year and there were three of us aboard . We had room for all stores etc.
I think you are right The Taling will give you a good economical start. Better in my view to have a small boat in good condition fitted for offshore cruising than a bigger boat which will cost more to buy and more to maintain and more in berthing costs.
I like the look of that Taling from the pictures, nice layout, with wind pilot self steering and gantry with solar panels - ticks all the boxes for me.
Welcome to the forum and fair winds.

Ludd

Visit site
Do check out any other boats of similar size and price before jumping in! HOWEVER---- remember that most of the people on here are old (er) like me, and like their creature comforts! Try to get information locally about the boat and its construction. DO NOT WAIT TILL YOU'RE OLD AND DECREPIT ----- GO AS SOON AS YOU CAN1

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi and welcome.
First good luck with your adventure.
There is Something all us full time Liveaboard are always complaining about.
Not enough space.
Four people, on a 33 foot boat, living full time?
I hope I am wrong, but at a guess in a very short time you going to realize that you have made a mistake.
If you're asking for Advise from a full time Liveaboard, buy at less 40 foot, that extra 7 feet will make a world of difference. Look at Moody 40, good sea boat, plenty of storage, good sleeping berths, safe cockpit,
No, sorry I don't have a Moody to sell.
If you want your dream to work, then you have to give it half a chance to work.
Tranona describe it very well, when he said it would be like (camping on water) on a 33 foot boat.

Tranona

Visit site
I know I will be in a minority but no I don't think it too small at all. I crossed the Atlantic (Canaries-Cape Verde - Caribbean) in a 28ft boat last year and there were three of us aboard . We had room for all stores etc.
I think you are right The Taling will give you a good economical start. Better in my view to have a small boat in good condition fitted for offshore cruising than a bigger boat which will cost more to buy and more to maintain and more in berthing costs.
I like the look of that Taling from the pictures, nice layout, with wind pilot self steering and gantry with solar panels - ticks all the boxes for me.
Welcome to the forum and fair winds.

All sorts of things are possible (and probably more so with 3 consenting adults) - but may not be desirable. It depends on your tolerance level of deprivation. Worst thing is to have confirmation that a family of 4 including growing children needs space that is not available part way through the adventure and no way of getting off.

Boh999

Visit site
Thanks for your answers! I am considering adding a watermaker as we're keen divers, the smallest possible compressor (seems only petrol driven possible) as I've heard it is expensive to fill/rent flasks in the Carribbean. Major minus on this boat is not having any stowage in the cockpit.

Let me clarify that we are not going to live aboard for ever but just 12-14 months. I dream of circumnavigation, perhaps when the kids have left our home, I will be in my late 50s, or when we retire a few years later. I would want a bigger boat then for sure. But for now maybe this is the boat for us, good enough for ARC.

The gas bottle is near the stove and is turned on when needed. Is that ok? In previous boats we had kerosene or alcohol stoves so no idea.

The anchor windlass is fully electric with no means of bypassing it. I heard that is common though.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thanks for your answers! I am considering adding a watermaker as we're keen divers, the smallest possible compressor (seems only petrol driven possible) as I've heard it is expensive to fill/rent flasks in the Carribbean. Major minus on this boat is not having any stowage in the cockpit.

Let me clarify that we are not going to live aboard for ever but just 12-14 months. I dream of circumnavigation, perhaps when the kids have left our home, I will be in my late 50s, or when we retire a few years later. I would want a bigger boat then for sure. But for now maybe this is the boat for us, good enough for ARC.

The gas bottle is near the stove and is turned on when needed. Is that ok? In previous boats we had kerosene or alcohol stoves so no idea.

The anchor windlass is fully electric with no means of bypassing it. I heard that is common though.
No gas bottles need to be out side or in a gas bottle locker that has a way of letting gas escape to the out side .
Windless . Lots are now electric only, but for my self I plan to change mine one day , for power and Manuel

Last edited:

Boh999

Visit site
Thanks. The bottle is inside. If we install a gas alarm, please? It will be off in most cases.

Forgot to ask about the Dinghy. It is s small inflatable with a 2,5 HP four stroke outboard. Read in Beth Leonard's book it is advice able with larger and 15 hp planing engine.

The boat is Dutch. There is a user group there but Dutch homepage. Anyway I am getting doubts. The English pound vs Swedish kronor makes English boats almost as expensive as here but whereas I would find one Moody in Sweden I will find many in England. Dutch boats are a bit cheaper than home.

The Amel Sharki seems like a great boat, found only one at yachtworld.com though and over my budget. I guess I'll have to keep looking.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thanks. The bottle is inside. If we install a gas alarm, please? It will be off in most cases.

Forgot to ask about the Dinghy. It is s small inflatable with a 2,5 HP four stroke outboard. Read in Beth Leonard's book it is advice able with larger and 15 hp planing engine.

The boat is Dutch. There is a user group there but Dutch homepage. Anyway I am getting doubts. The English pound vs Swedish kronor makes English boats almost as expensive as here but whereas I would find one Moody in Sweden I will find many in England. Dutch boats are a bit cheaper than home.

The Amel Sharki seems like a great boat, found only one at yachtworld.com though and over my budget. I guess I'll have to keep looking.

Boh999 please take one bit of advise for the sake of you family , REMOVE the gas bottle from inside the boat .

Tranona

Visit site
You will probably find it difficult to make a safe installation of gas in a boat like that as the bottle needs to be in a drained secure locker outside the cabin. If you are doing the ARC look carefully at the safety requirements as you will likely find it very difficult to comply with that type of boat - not that it is not capable of making the passage, just that the safety requirements assume a modern style boat. The same with a water maker. Even on boats 10' longer finding space and power to run such a machine is a challenge.

As I suggested in my first response if you do try with this size/type of boat then expect a spartan existence - one up from camping in a tent in that it will not leak as much! But there just is not space to live anything but a basic existence, so any suggestions of comfort or privacy just cannot be met.

The big inflatable (3m+) and 15hp is exactly what is common there, because there are few marinas so you need a "taxi" to connect to the shore and anything smaller will not take 4 people and stores. However, most people have boats that are big enough to carry a larger tender. So if you have a small boat you will have to accept the limitations of a small tender.

So, I suppose that if you want to do this on limited funds you have to limit your expectations to what is possible in a small boat. If you and your family are willing to accept these limitations then as Ludd said earlier, go for it. The boat is quite capable of undertaking the voyage. Just not with much in the way of comfort or speed.

Last edited:

Wansworth

Visit site
What a nice looking boat, looks fit to go anywhere, as mentioned.There is a difference between a linerboard where you err live for extended periods stationary, gathering stuff and sort of making it house and there is cruising in the sense that you travel from place to place without undue stopping.

Boh999

Visit site
...before the shipyard went bankrupt. Solid. Same yard built the first Volvo Ocean ships.

Doghouse is nice, I am rather tall.

Owner has a homepage:
Skysail39.com

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
Another option you may consider is to fly to the USA, buy a boat there, and cruise down to the Caribbean. Then you can sell the boat in the Caribbean at the end of your adventure, or bring it back, or carry on around the world. You get very good value for money in the US boat market. Unless your ambition is simply to do a transatlantic, rather than enjoy the cruising lifestyle.

Our first three year adventure, going down to the Caribbean from USA, was on a heavy displacement 32' boat with very limited accommodation - and for the first year we had my teenage daughter and the dog with us! It worked out fine for us. We had a similar adventure some years later on a 42' ketch and it seemed quite luxurious for the two of us!

TonyMS

www.montgomery-smith.org
We had an inside bottle on our previous boat, and used it happily for 15 years. IMO it's a very safe arrangement, because you shut off at the bottle immediately after every use, and there are no runs of tube with gas under pressure that could cause problems.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if it were banned for the ARC.

TonyMS