Tablet confusion

DaveRo

Visit site
Yes, my nexus 10 has had continuous updates from when I first bought it by google through the android store. It was updated from 4.4.4 to 5.0 Lolipop yesterday.
Was any of those updates 'better' - i.e. it gave you some feature you welcomed? Just curious.

My Nexus 7 started on 4.1, is currently on 4.4.4, and I'm waiting to see if it'll run 5 without becoming unusably slow. None of those updates provided extra useful functionality for me and 4.4 removed something I used. If 5 doesn't work I'll revert to 4.3 which was the fastest (and which supported TRIM). YMMV

I don't run Navionics so I don't know what version it needs.

Strathglass

Visit site
Was any of those updates 'better' - i.e. it gave you some feature you welcomed? Just curious.

My Nexus 7 started on 4.1, is currently on 4.4.4, and I'm waiting to see if it'll run 5 without becoming unusably slow. None of those updates provided extra useful functionality for me and 4.4 removed something I used. If 5 doesn't work I'll revert to 4.3 which was the fastest (and which supported TRIM). YMMV

I don't run Navionics so I don't know what version it needs.

I certainly like 5.0 and if anything it actually seems to run quicker. It also is quite different from 4.4.4.

The latest navionics UK & Holland HD 4.2.4 is a huge improvement over the previous version. It has a divider function and can now show underwater contour lines and no doubt some other changes. It works fine on my nexus 7 with android 4.4.4 and also is OK on my nexus 10 with android 5.0. I will update the 7" tablet to 5.0 when it shows up as being available for that tablet.

All the other apps function correctly after the updates to the operation system.

Last edited:

Spyro

Visit site
Here we go again!! Ah yes, Your post #4, your happy with yours, my question said nothing about it having to be white? any reason why you say that other than an attempt to ridicule? I am not expected to remember the content of every post.

Your question mentioned it being white. Any reason why you mentioned it?

"Would welcome your opinions on this one. Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0" 16GB Wi-Fi Tablet Android 4.2 - White
It is 4.2 would have prefered 4.4 "

Ridicule? well this whole post is getting a bit ridiculous. I have tried to keep my comments a bit light hearted, I have tried to be helpful but find along with others I am just repeating what has previously been said. I've had enough now and will leave others to answer your questions. Sorry if I have offended you in any way.

Visit site
Your question mentioned it being white. Any reason why you mentioned it?

"Would welcome your opinions on this one. Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0" 16GB Wi-Fi Tablet Android 4.2 - White
It is 4.2 would have prefered 4.4 "

Ridicule? well this whole post is getting a bit ridiculous. I have tried to keep my comments a bit light hearted, I have tried to be helpful but find along with others I am just repeating what has previously been said. I've had enough now and will leave others to answer your questions. Sorry if I have offended you in any way.
My question was copied and pasted from a description of a tablet I found for sale on ebay, I copied it in full, if it had said black it would have been copied in the same way, it was not specific to any colour.
No apology required, many of your nine posts have been very informative, thank you, but 57 posts ago (146) you judged as 'ridiculous' posts that others were making, giving their advice and the benefit of their collective experiences, undisputably, the whole purpose of threads here.
You are, of course, perfectly entitled to your opinions and to express them, as you did even further back some 216 posts ago (87) expressing doubt as to the reality of the thread, which both passed uncommented upon.
I must admit to sometimes reading threads which I consider pointless, to me anyway, which I do not contribute to or return to read further, rather like turning off a tv program that does not interest me.

Visit site
I am considering buying a tablet to download Navionics on, alreardy have on my iphone but would like a larger screen, I am looking at either Samsung or Apple, names already recommended.

So many types and styles to choose from, has anyone got an understanding of them and can advise me, looking at around an 8 inch or more, I understand must be GPS prepared, but how will I know that without enqiring about each one, so many on e-bay which look good.
Like many others I did not anticipate this thread continuing to 21 pages, but I have enjoyed and learned from every single post, and feel confident now to buy a iPad/tablet having 100% more information and undersatnding about what is available to fill my needs. All this has happened because so many others have been generous, patient, and willing to pass on their knowledge in an unselfish way, unrivalled anywhere else. so a very big Thank You to you all, and wishing you a Very Merry Christmas.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
That's fine and I've enjoyed the banter between the Apple fans and Android fans.

Do let us know what you buy, we need a happy ending! BTW I was in Tesco yesterday and tried to play with one of the display HUDL2's but both were out of juice and no way of charging them, just a bit of black plastic and glass. That company really is struggling to get itself customer focused, they've relied for so long on market share they've forgotten that we can choose where to shop.

Visit site
That's fine and I've enjoyed the banter between the Apple fans and Android fans.

Do let us know what you buy, we need a happy ending! BTW I was in Tesco yesterday and tried to play with one of the display HUDL2's but both were out of juice and no way of charging them, just a bit of black plastic and glass. That company really is struggling to get itself customer focused, they've relied for so long on market share they've forgotten that we can choose where to shop.

Until this thread I did not know about the rival preferences for either iPad or Android, having used Apple i4 phone for a long time I am familiar with their systems, can find my way around it quickly and easily. I have taken time to learn as much as possible about Android, which is very impressive, and I must say if I decide Android the HUDL2 is top of my list, along with a Samsung 8". However, we have what is known as 'Black Friday' this week where many offers will be available, if, for the reasons given, I can buy a 3rd. generation+ iPad 8" wifi+cellular within spitting distance of the HUDL2 price, then I think I would buy it, similarly for the Samsung 8". What I shall not be buying, guided by advice from what others have given here, and role playing in John Lewis for 5 minutes to see how it feels one handed, is a 10" model of either. The JL assistant was very cooperative when I explained my reasons, and 5 minutes was enough to convince me it could well be impractical in cockpit conditions, the 8" under the same short test was much better to handle and use, and certainly less tiring.
I take your point about Tesco and their problems, but must say I was well received by technical staff when I called in my local store. I shall let you know what I decide upon.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
Just one thing to throw into the mix - it's not the cheapest tablet but Sony's Xperia Z3 is waterproof (rinse under the tap type waterproof) and so thin and light you take a while to realise how sturdy it is. It's just like a thinner, lighter iPad or Samsung Note or Tab (running Android of course) in every other respect- a perfectly good and normal 8" tablet. Do spend the extra £40 or $40 for the docking station though - it's charger in a stand but it means you don;t have to keep undoing the seal on the micro-USB charging port.

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/tablets/xperia-z3-tablet-compact/?gclid=CjwKEAiAhcGjBRDot_fjjtPKrgsSJACNYh768PMrHBmQNr9yNiX_fGLnQesySvxBrdtxJZCwhGEaCBoC5STw_wcB

Last edited:

Colvic Watson

Visit site
iPad, Xperia or Hudl2 but don't go Samsung, I did and really regretted it, they mess with Android no end and make it much more complicated than it should be, it's virtually their own version of Android.

GHA

Visit site
Might be worth mentioning, but on a pc you can load android into a virtual machine like vmware and run android on there. This means you can load navionics on a big screen and do passage planning on there, if you're logged in the routes should get updated automatically onto your tablet.

DaveRo

Visit site
iPad, Xperia or Hudl2 but don't go Samsung, I did and really regretted it, they mess with Android no end and make it much more complicated than it should be, it's virtually their own version of Android.
That's worth amplifying. A manufacturer can change the look and feel of Android. Some do it a lot. As well as changing the appearance they often add apps and sometimes replace some of Google's own apps with their own .

The most standard version is the Nexus series - it's a 'reference' device and controlled by Google. It usually gets updates first. (It's the reason I got a Nexus.) It's often called 'vanilla Android'. I've played with a hudl - it looks almost vanilla; just a Tesco app added AFAICS. Others I don't know but see LK's statement about Samsung and Xperia.

Since many folk seem to like Samsung Galaxy tablets I'm not sure how much this matters until you change to another brand. If you buy one first you may not even be aware that it's customised - most phones are 'branded'. Which I suppose is the manufacturer's intention - you're more likely to get another the same.

But they're all Android underneath, and work in essentially the same way.

iPads, by contrast, are only made by Apple and are essentally identical in how they look and work.

Then there are Windows tablets which, AFAIK, can't run Navionics. Yet.

elton

www.boatit.co.uk
That simply is not true. Where's your evidence?

I'm developing Android apps, and using a Samsung GT-S5310 phone, and an Archos 80 G9 tablet for code testing. The only differences in the code required for each, is related to the differing screen size and resolution.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Six months using a Samsung Note 3 and endless conversations with colleagues running Androids - I kept asking where some setting was - on their non-Samsung it was fairly obvious for a non iOS devive, mine was usually buried in some non context-sensitive sub menu. It's like a Tesco's hypermarket, 47 choices for margarine but if you want butter then for some reason it's in the home baking section on the other side of the store. The underlying code may be the same but Samsung play their own game with the menus. It's a neat trick, once you're a Samsung owner you are more likely to stay one, you've learnt the language. Though I noticed their market share figures have dropped a lot recently.

Visit site
Just one thing to throw into the mix - it's not the cheapest tablet but Sony's Xperia Z3 is waterproof (rinse under the tap type waterproof) and so thin and light you take a while to realise how sturdy it is. It's just like a thinner, lighter iPad or Samsung Note or Tab (running Android of course) in every other respect- a perfectly good and normal 8" tablet. Do spend the extra £40 or $40 for the docking station though - it's charger in a stand but it means you don;t have to keep undoing the seal on the micro-USB charging port.

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/tablets/xperia-z3-tablet-compact/?gclid=CjwKEAiAhcGjBRDot_fjjtPKrgsSJACNYh768PMrHBmQNr9yNiX_fGLnQesySvxBrdtxJZCwhGEaCBoC5STw_wcB

I like the Xperia a lot, the waterproofing is a big bonus, it is now also on my list, thank you.

Visit site

Your not the first to mention that about Samsung, others swear by them, but your comments well on board, prefer trouble free at all times, it is cosmetically very attractive, but certainly not a deciding factor.

Visit site
Might be worth mentioning, but on a pc you can load android into a virtual machine like vmware and run android on there. This means you can load navionics on a big screen and do passage planning on there, if you're logged in the routes should get updated automatically onto your tablet.

I am not aware of vmware, will check it out.
I have Navionics on a dedicated laptop on chart table, I use TIKI navigation which runs with it, great for route planning and close in also, but rather not be up and down just when I need to be helming most.

Last edited:

ghostlymoron

Visit site
That sounds kinda cool. Couldn't find vmware to download but I found this http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/how-to-run-android-apps-on-windows-1042650 might give it a try.

Visit site
I promise this is not intended just to continue this thread, but I have had another option put to me by a good friend I may have previously mentioned who has a very good PC and phone repair business, with an excellent reputation, five employees working flat out in their areas of expertise.
He has a Google Chromebook 11.6", less than a year old, his own personal one he no longer uses, I had not heard of them before, but spent this morning at his office playing with it, and lo and behold the Navionics HD is compatible with it, and can be downloaded, works so fast to. It is light, portable, great battery life, and I realise it is a browser but has so many options and extensions, plus google lets you store files etc up to 5 GB for free.
I know it is larger than I said I would buy, but the option I am considering with it, is to position it just in front of my wheel in front of my windscreen, well protected there, but easily removable to use in wifi areas, bars, cafes etc. for emailing, skype and other pc functions. My idea is to take it to the boat when I return to Greece the end of January.
Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

charles_reed

Visit site
I promise this is not intended just to continue this thread, but I have had another option put to me by a good friend I may have previously mentioned who has a very good PC and phone repair business, with an excellent reputation, five employees working flat out in their areas of expertise.
He has a Google Chromebook 11.6", less than a year old, his own personal one he no longer uses, I had not heard of them before, but spent this morning at his office playing with it, and lo and behold the Navionics HD is compatible with it, and can be downloaded, works so fast to. It is light, portable, great battery life, and I realise it is a browser but has so many options and extensions, plus google lets you store files etc up to 5 GB for free.
I know it is larger than I said I would buy, but the option I am considering with it, is to position it just in front of my wheel in front of my windscreen, well protected there, but easily removable to use in wifi areas, bars, cafes etc. for emailing, skype and other pc functions. My idea is to take it to the boat when I return to Greece the end of January.
Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

A step-change away from the tablets about which you've been talking.
Just load a linux distro on it and you've a fully fledged laptop PC without the horrors of Microsoft. With a Chromebook you're a dumb-terminal to Google's Cloud computing world and you can't make calls on it, whoops!!! where's the GPS chip to find where it is?
Have a look here and don't strain the depth of knowledge of your friendly site-companions:-

https://sites.google.com/site/chromeoswikisite/home/choosing-a-chromebook