Tablet confusion

Heckler

Visit site
Ooooh! I do love a good Apple debate.

Ooohhh...Thread hijack! I love a good Apple debate!

Android is not really as terrifying as you think - despite what the Apple marketing machine says!

There is no doubt that Apple devices are good technology. The marketing genius of Apple is in convincing people that they are paying the top price for the BEST technology.

An iPad 4 is a fabulous piece of kit. It is, perhaps, the best value product Apple have made.
But, it is debatable whether it is as good as a Google Nexus 10 - which is 25% cheaper!

As with the holiday analogy, you are getting a great product with Apple. It is just that it is not the best product. But it IS the most expensive product.
Quality is consistently good at the high end of the market, so you are unlikely to be dissatisfied by an Apple product. There is something reassuring about a brand which guarantees quality and it is nice to be able to go out and buy something with the confidence that you are not buying a turkey.

And brand quality engenders customer loyalty. Apple customers' loyalty borders on fundamentalist zeal, so they are damn good at what they do.

I know that there is no point in debating with a fundamentalist, but I can't resist. ;-)
Plus of course the LK is using a tired old argument that they used to use against Windows! Also why wont Apple let us use Flash?
S

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Two days ago I got an update on my nexus 10 for navionics uk/Holland HD went in well and it was a big improvement. Now with depth contour lines and a divider. That was with the tablet at android 4.4.4 and life was great.
Yesterday my tablet was uploaded to android 5.0 lolipop. It has a lot of features which are quite useful and everything works great.

THAT IS EXCEPT NAVIONICS UK/HOLLAND HD. IT FLASHED ON THE SCREEN INITIALLY THEN GOES OFF AND I CANNOT LOAD IT.

I will be on to Navionics today.

Good to know. Please let us know the outcome. I'm on 4.4.4 but will avoid Lollipop until the issue is sorted!

Does Lollipop allow all apps to use the SD card or is it still blocked?

Richard

roblpm

Visit site
While I get by with the more humble HUDL, I know a keen dinghy sailor who enthuses about his Xperia Z phone and tablet.
The benefits of a truly waterproof (submersible) device on a boat are pretty obvious but he says that it is great in every other way, as well.
If the your permits it, the Xperia Z tablet and phone would seem to be the logical choice for anyone spending time on the water.

I am typing this on an xperia z2 which i got because it was waterproof.

I am not sure it is the best phone solution though. I want to run iregatta while racing and if the screen gets wet at all it goes haywire. So looked at lifeproof phone cases and they don't make one for the z2. So if you want a phone like this i would get a Samsung galaxy s5 which is splash proof and can be put in a lifeproof case. Though i haven't seen what happens if the front of the case gets wet??

Visit site
Post #122
Questions keep coming to mind, may be a daft one but anyway, with the WiFi + cellular, the ipad is also a telephone.......
Post #137
.....The option of using it with cellular option as you do is attractive with a local SIM card, as calls usually cheaper than using UK based tarriffs for both calls to and from UK.....
After so many posts how can you still think the cellular chip makes it a phone? It's a DATA chip that just connects to the Internet so you would have to use Skype type software to make calls.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Post #122

Post #137
After so many posts how can you still think the cellular chip makes it a phone? It's a DATA chip that just connects to the Internet so you would have to use Skype type software to make calls.

Although you can use a combined phone and data SIM like me (GiffGaff) and then it's a phone as well - although it's looks a bit naff if you walk around with a 10 inch tablet stuck to your head!

Richard

DaveRo

Visit site
It's not the chips that stops you making phone calls with an iPad, it's just that the software (and Apple) doesn't allow it. If you jailbreak an iPad you can install a phone app - they exist.

You can receive SMSes on an iPad but not send them. (On a Nexus tablet you can send SMSes.)

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Plus of course the LK is using a tired old argument that they used to use against Windows! Also why wont Apple let us use Flash?
S

May I refer the gentleman to the previous post:

Two days ago I got an update on my nexus 10 for navionics uk/Holland HD went in well and it was a big improvement. Now with depth contour lines and a divider. That was with the tablet at android 4.4.4 and life was great.
Yesterday my tablet was uploaded to android 5.0 lolipop. It has a lot of features which are quite useful and everything works great.

THAT IS EXCEPT NAVIONICS UK/HOLLAND HD. IT FLASHED ON THE SCREEN INITIALLY THEN GOES OFF AND I CANNOT LOAD IT.

I will be on to Navionics today.

Maybe not such a tired old argument. Honestly, you couldn't make it up :)

DaveRo

Visit site
Can you? How? I shall have to have a look.
You have to root it, and install an app such as 8sms or the old messaging app. I used to do it to subscribe to Greek data packages.

I would have done the same with the iPad but it wasn't mine to break.

Strathglass

Visit site
I have just bought a Hudl2 and have an android phone. Do I have to re-purchase paid for apps to install them on the Hudl or can I just download them off my Playstore account?

You don't have to repurchase them. I have the same apps on my 7'' and 10'' tablets and also some of the apps from my phone. Some of the phone apps will not work on a tablet but you will be told when they are not comparable with your device. For example the tablet requires a navionics HD app on uk/Holland and the phone one is not compatable and will not download

Visit site
Sarnia
I have and use a nexus 10 on the boat. Works very well but IMO its a bit big. I use it on deck when steering operating as a repeater for the B&G plotter below decks. But lying there on one of the cockpit seats, it gets in the way and sooner or later I just know that one of us is going to sit on it. My Nexus 4 phone is too small to substitute and in any case the B&G software allows you to operate the plotter from a tablet but not from a phone !!! So I am intending to buy a 7 inch tablet that I can possible hang round my neck or put in one of the cockpit cubbeyhole lockers

In short my recommendation based on experience would be not to buy a 10 inch but a 7 inch.

Other here have also commented on the 10" being a little to big for on deck navigation purposes, and your personal experience only adds to the reservations I am having about a 10". They do look so good in the hand but even then not always east to 'thumb' to an app unless they are kept down the edges, or so it seems to me, others will have different experiences I am sure.

Visit site
Since size has been mentioned, this might interest.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...ipop-and-the-problem-with-big-android-tablets

I like my Nexus 7" for general-purpose stuff. Wife has both original and mini-ipads. The mini is nice but the maxi is too big IMO - I can't comfortably hold it in one hand and control it with the other.

But poor eyesight and use as a plotter will influence one's choice.

The more I read about others boaty experiences with the 10" for cockpit navigation the more inclined towards the 7/8" models, such as the HUDL2, Samsung8, Nexus7, iPad8wifi+cellular, (only the wifi+cellar iPad has a GPS chip) are on my shortlist.

Visit site
Think I'm going senile - forgotten why i posted that - it was to ask if both of these devices have GPS and the necessary hardware to run Navionics HD?

My understanding from posts here is that most if not all Androids have a GPS chip independant of networks. iPads with wifi+cellular only have GPS on their communication boards, see previous posts here.

Visit site
Post #122

Post #137
Maybe in my learning curve have missed something, also had a long conversation in John Lewis with someone who spoke at length about the wifi+cellular iPad, who offered it as an alternative, and it was made clear it was also a telephone. Looking at many for sale on the net, many have been unlocked from their provider, others still locked in, refering here to iPad wifi+cellular of course.
Welcome a further advice as I have seen others speaking into a tablet/iPad as a telephone.

Sniper

Visit site
Abject apologies if this has already been covered (I have read the whole thread honest but haven't the will to do it again) but is the Navionics HD version worth the extra over the standard version of UK /Holland? I already have the Hudl2 so that decision is made.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
The more I read about others boaty experiences with the 10" for cockpit navigation the more inclined towards the 7/8" models, such as the HUDL2, Samsung8, Nexus7, iPad8wifi+cellular, (only the wifi+cellar iPad has a GPS chip) are on my shortlist.

Yes, I use both the iPad full size and mini on board and the Mini is preferable.

Maybe in my learning curve have missed something, also had a long conversation in John Lewis with someone who spoke at length about the wifi+cellular iPad, who offered it as an alternative, and it was made clear it was also a telephone. Looking at many for sale on the net, many have been unlocked from their provider, others still locked in, refering here to iPad wifi+cellular of course.
Welcome a further advice as I have seen others speaking into a tablet/iPad as a telephone.

Yes it can, but only if you have an iPhone on the same wifi network. Then the iPad works as a telephone, actually using the iPhone remotely. Also from a desktop or laptop Mac which is pretty cool.

Abject apologies if this has already been covered (I have read the whole thread honest but haven't the will to do it again) but is the Navionics HD version worth the extra over the standard version of UK /Holland? I already have the Hudl2 so that decision is made.

Not especially but the routing package isn't on the non HD app I think. The routing add on is top bananas, turns the iPad into a fully functioning chartplotter.

Visit site
Yes, I use both the iPad full size and mini on board and the Mini is preferable.

Yes it can, but only if you have an iPhone on the same wifi network. Then the iPad works as a telephone, actually using the iPhone remotely. Also from a desktop or laptop Mac which is pretty cool.

Not especially but the routing package isn't on the non HD app I think. The routing add on is top bananas, turns the iPad into a fully functioning chartplotter.

Thanks for that explanation, looking at an iPad 8" does the same apply to them as the 10" with regard to only GPS on wifi+cellular models

Visit site
You don't have to repurchase them. I have the same apps on my 7'' and 10'' tablets and also some of the apps from my phone. Some of the phone apps will not work on a tablet but you will be told when they are not comparable with your device. For example the tablet requires a navionics HD app on uk/Holland and the phone one is not compatable and will not download

Looking at a Nexus 7 Nexus-7-32GB-Wi-Fi-3G-Unlocked-7in-Black-1-gen
Is this GPS chipped independant of networks, and able to operate Navionics HD looks a bargain at £85.00