TAB system in mast furling main

Kfaire

Visit site
Hi,
We just bought a Moody 36CC and it has an in mast furling main.
After doing some research, I believe it is a TAB sail system in mast.
We would like to change the line as it is too short and makes pull in sail really tricky.
Does anyone has any original document on it to help? Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-20 121757.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-20 121757.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 13

Fimacca

Visit site
I had one of these on my last boat. I did find a doc online and printed it out - but it went with the boat. Have a good online search. I had some jamming issues - so dropping the system (its just like a jenny furler) and washing down and greasing helped a lot.

Kfaire

Visit site
Thank you Fimacca.
We are having trouble with it as it is extremely stiff to get out and furl in. We have to use the winch as we go nowhere by hand.
We are moving the attachement point on the boom to play with the angle as t the moment the line get stuck up the corkscrew rather than winding in nicely. We will change the furling line and grease everywhere. The two pulleys on deck for the furling line and out haul keep on messing with each other so we will replace with a double pulley.
Hopefully that will sort it but if anyone has experience similar issue and has other suggestions, please fire away.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230823_141923_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20230823_141923_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230823_141847_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20230823_141847_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    669 KB · Views: 9

Fimacca

Visit site
found this - search on ybw as well -

Any help please. I have TAB Sail Systems mainsail furling system which was retro fitted to the mast, replacing slab reefing, before I bought her. Has anyone any experience of this system with respect to how to change the furling line - it appears that there are six or so screws in the outer cheeks that may be holding the bottom part of the drum mechanism in place, and there is also a centre bolt underneath.

<hr width=100% size=1>Tony

...... cheque, please.
Like Quote Reply

[IMG alt="misterg"]https://forums.ybw.com/data/avatars/m/5/5287.jpg?1576058866[/IMG]

misterg

Active member​

Joined31 Oct 2003Messages2,884LocationN. Wales
Have got the same system, but no info on it. I believe TAB no longer exist. FWIW, I think the "central bolt" is the end of the furling foil(?), and can be used to furl the sail if the line breaks, or maybe to wind on a new furling line provided you can attach the end to the drum. The six(?) screws wouldn't seem to do much, as the side plates that they fit through seem to be rivetted on, also.

<guessing>Perhaps if you undo these, it is possible to lift the whole inner part up until you can get access to the furling drum through the large apperture above the boom /<guessing>

I could really use some information on the system, especially how to maintain the upper & lower swivels. Just squirting WD40 into them at the moment, but I would like to do it properly, as seizure wouldn't be pleasant.

Andy

<hr width=100% size=1>

No boat no more...
Like Quote Reply

[IMG alt="moodycruiser"]https://forums.ybw.com/data/avatars/m/7/7686.jpg?1576058866[/IMG]

moodycruiser

New member​

Joined14 May 2004Messages718LocationSolent
Hi, I was sort of hoping that by undoing the bottom bolt and unscrewing the screws around the bottom (which I thought might be a sort of "end cap") the furling drum may drop down for access. was hoping to do it without taking the main off. I might be able to get hold of the guy that used to look after the boat before I bought her and see what he says, if any luck I'll send you a pm.

May all your winds be broad reaches.

<hr width=100% size=1>Tony

...... cheque, please.
Like Quote Reply

B

bobnewbury

New member​

Joined16 May 2001Messages162LocationCurrently Lagos, Algarve for the winter
The large nut at the bottom takes a 24mm spanner and can be used to furl the sail. It will even do it when the system jams (usually because the outhaul tension was slack when furling or because the topping lift is incorrectly adjusted giving incorrect leach tension.

You have to pull the sail right out to remove the furling line. Use the nut to turn the drum and you will see a small hole come into view in the side of the drum. There is an Allen key head visible (or there should be). This is a grub screw which grips the end of the furling line. Slacken this off and the line pulls out.

Reverse to install the line. Before you do it, note how many turns there are on the drum when the sail is fully out. You need to put the same number on before you re-attach the sail. This is critical. Too few and you won't be able to fully furl the sail. Too many and the line jams the drum.

<hr width=100% size=1>

An intellectual is someone who has been educated beyond his intelligence.

www.sailblogs.com/member/birvidik

Fimacca

Visit site
My top can kept jamming up the mast, due to corrosion, and when i sold it - the sail would not drop at all. I also found setting the sail problematic with some angles of wind.

I suppose the other option is not to spend anything on it and replace with a fully standard battened main. It was usually an after market fit, so it may well be reversible ?

your decent boat is worth decent money (I thought the 35 mk2 was a great design for the time and now) and may benefit from a better system over some years as you keep her?

Kfaire

Visit site
Thank you for looking.
After some research myself I found the z spar system looks very similar to ours and I read somewhere TAB may have used some of their parts so I'll go with that and try. 🤞