Swinging mooring over winter

srm

Visit site
Have a good look at the state of your mooring. Chains wear surprisingly quickly, so look for wear where the links touch each other. Any significant reduction in thickness and the I wouldn't be happy leaving the boat. Lift the buoy and check as many links as you can see, plus the swivel.
I laid and maintained my own moorings for a number of years. The advice above is good, but be aware that even in areas with no significant current the bottom of the riser, where it lifts on and off the sea bed with the rise and fall of the tide can be subject to the most wear, especially on a sandy bottom. I have seen chains that look good, until you push the links apart and see the wear/sand abrasion on the faces between the links.

Stemar

Visit site
If the engine is to be left alone does the raw water cooling system need to be flushed through with a couple of buckets of fresh water / antifreeze solution when the boat is laid up?
As long the boat's sitting in salt water, just leave it alone. You're sitting in water, so the interior of your boat will never get much colder than the the temperature of the water. Sea temperatures around the UK never get below 0. If you really want to do something, take the water inlet off the seacock, dunk it into a gallon of antifreeze and run the engine until it comes out of the exhaust, but I never bothered in Portsmouth Harbour. It's far more important to do it if you're sitting on the hard, where icy winds blow.

billyfish

Visit site
Why not run the engine under load on a swinging mooring, I do all the time, if it can't hold then I'm stuffed if it's blowing 50 knots with 5 knots of tide.

billyfish

Visit site
I exaggerated the tide chichester harbour isn't that bad but it was blowing 60 kn . My last boat, a falmouth28 moved the mooring quite a bit .

peterhull

Visit site
I'm thinking of leaving my boat afloat next winter on a swinging mooring.
The issues I have thought of that would need to be addressed are:
1. Insurance
2. Remove sails etc
3. Damp: with no electricity ventilation will be important
4. Run the engine once a month to charge batteries
5. What about salt deposits in the engine raw water cooling system and is frost an issue.

I'd be grateful for advice especially from anyone who regularly keeps their boat afloat and off-grid during the winter.
Many thanks
I think rather depends where your mooring is and how exposed and secure it is.

After we sold our lovely Twister many years ago, the new owner put her on a swinging mooring and within a few weeks the new owner lost it . It was wrecked on the coast after it broke it's mooring in gale one night in October
The mooring was not only exposed but insecure.

PaulGS

Visit site
I'm thinking of leaving my boat afloat next winter on a swinging mooring.
The issues I have thought of that would need to be addressed are:
1. Insurance
2. Remove sails etc
3. Damp: with no electricity ventilation will be important
4. Run the engine once a month to charge batteries
5. What about salt deposits in the engine raw water cooling system and is frost an issue.

I'd be grateful for advice especially from anyone who regularly keeps their boat afloat and off-grid during the winter.
Many thanks
It's too soon for me to be able to offer sage advice but here's my two penn'orth. My boat is spending its first winter on a Scottish loch swing mooring; I just got back from an overnight visit after three months (she's 300 miles away from where I live) and I found everything to be in order. My insurance covers it; and I've wedged ajar the forehatch to promote ventilation through the saloon (there was only a very little mould). The boat has a small solar panel (I'm guessing 100w) and the batteries were fully charged. I'd intended to remove the sails but conditions on my last visit of 2023 didn't allow it; on my return they were still secured as I'd left them (despite all the accounts of sails unwinding and being destroyed it really shouldn't be difficult to prevent this occuring). Again, I had intended to run some antifreeze through the raw water - but, like another correspondent, I hope she'll be okay given the relative warmth (and saltiness) of the water she's in. The cooling circuit has AF in it as standard. As someone else said, it's a risk judgement (and it involves what you feel you can afford given all the other things you want to do in life). My boat is only worth four figures; the situation is (relatively) sheltered; there's only a knot of tide; the bottom is mud; I've 40' under me; the tackle was inspected last year - all this makes the cost of annual winter parking unreasonable for me. I recognise that there may also be a less rational motive behind my decision too: I enjoy second-guessing the judgements of others. Like any 'community' there's an element of shoal behaviour - my boat's all alone on the water now. Time will tell.

38mess

Visit site
Another vote for a solar panel. I had a swinging mooring just off Milford Haven. Winters are no fun especially when the storms blow through and you are trying to sleep 100 miles away at home listening to the wind and rain.
I once had a phonecall at 2 am from the local guy I bought the boat and the mooring off to say the boat had ridden over the moorings and was sideways onto the waves and to get down there to sort it out. Two hours drive later and the boat was fine not that I could have done anything in the waves and wind.
After that I wintered in the marina.
Engine always started in the spring.

srm

Visit site
I exaggerated the tide chichester harbour isn't that bad but it was blowing 60 kn . My last boat, a falmouth28 moved the mooring quite a bit .
Typical behaviour for moorings that use a single weight, especially if the chain is shortened by higher than predicted sea levels.

rundlefish

Visit site
All year round for me on the Dart,who provide the mooring and annually service them. They also keep a look out through their river officers, and check if strong winds etc are forecast.
Bridle is renewed in Autumn with 12mm octoplait and backed up with looser,10mm chain to central cleat forward.
Luckily I also have a friendly"live aboard" just above me, so theft etc is covered.
I do run the engine when I am down staying overnight, [about once a month] but it allows the heater to run also, much needed last weekend.
Insurer is quite happy with 12 months in the water.
I am a Dart local too, and am about to buy my first boat (hopefully 23'), having not sailed for many years since having children. Can you give me any helpful local advice - which moorings to choose, recommended local boatyards, good insurers...? Any help appreciated.

Thanks