Swift 18 rigging question

Washboy

Visit site
Hello- question about rigging a Swift 18 . I’ve just bought a fairly early Swift 18 and am a bit puzzled by the halyard on the foresail. This is fitted with a furling spar but I can’t tie off the halyard to the mast cleats as it fouls the furling of the foresail and so I have had to tie it off to the shackle that attaches the luff spar to the foredeck . This works fine but Is this normal for a Swift 18 ?

Thanks

William_H

Visit site
I suspect the question should relate to the kind of furler fitted. I imagine Swift 18 did not have a furler fitted when built. Picture might help. ol'will

Supertramp

Visit site
If the halyard goes through a block attached to the mast then it needs tied off on the mast and there will be a top swivel on the furling gear.

If the halyard goes through a block attached to the top of the furling tube then it needs tied off to the foot of the furling tube.

The second option is not unusual on trailer sailers.

Washboy

Visit site
Thanks both of you for your comments - I think that answers the question- it works fine as it is so I’ll stick with that .
Thanks very much

Suffolk Explorer

Visit site
Although I bought my Swift 18 when it was a few years old, I believe that it was supplied new with the furler fitted. The halyard was attached to the attached to a U bolt fitted to the top of the furling drum. I used a light line with a few loops to give x4 purchase and it worked fine. That method eliminates the risk of fore-stay wraps and caused no problems at all over my 10 years of ownership.
Enjoy your Swift 18.

oldharry

Visit site
I had the same arrangement on a Colnbrook furler on my Trident 24. Never any problem with halyard wrap, because after the first turn it was wrapped inside the sail! No end of trouble on a previous boat with a swivel that didn't!

Washboy

Visit site
Thanks Suffolk Explorer and Old Harry - it’s nice and simple and seems to work well - couldn’t be better !