Swallowdale Boat Accident

Croak

www.yotblog.com
I wonder how this would have been received on here.

4 kids on a boat.

No buoyancy aids.

no buoyancy on the boat.

Older one showing off to a couple of girls by not reefing.

Self recovery?

Setting off again on a boat badly repaired with some canvas and nails.

IJL

Visit site
That was the good old days, no SATS tests or perpetual exams, things were simple, send 'em out in a boat and if they dont come back you had clearly sired a gaggle of Duffers.

You tell young people today............

Croak

www.yotblog.com
I think the young people would be quite happy with it. It is the silly old duffers that stopped the fun.

Lakesailor

Visit site
The Air Ambulance couldn't attend because....erm.....there weren't any (helicopters, that is)

It'll be reet

Jury-rig.jpg

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
"Better drowned than duffers. If not duffers wont drown"

And, if my memory serves me, didn't John spend quite a lot of time and angst wondering if he'd been a duffer?

We've all hung on a bit further than we should - I've certainly passed closer to the lighthouse on Little Cumbrae than I should have, because I was single-handed, out of practise, tacking was going to be hard work, and if I could weather that point, I was OK. Capricious and I are still here, but with hind-sight I should have tacked! I probably was a duffer that day.

Sire

Visit site
Just as an aside (not wishing to hijack the thread) I found a copy of Swallowdale in Finnish (==Pääskylaakso)
today for my kids, who are currently being read Pääskyt ja Amatsonit - you guessed it - for their bedtime story. It's a shame that those were the only two to be translated into Finnish. Maybe a desire for the rest of the stories might engender some motivation towards learning English, though!

Last edited:

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
If you wind the story forward 80 years and cast a jaundiced eye over it in the light of modern technology then no, you wouldn't approve given that we now have smart, lightweight functional buoyancy aids, plastic and GRP moulding technology etc and so on which simply wasn't available at the time the story was written

An aside: Wrecking the Swallow was a necessary precursor to the storyline of course but it also made John in particular a more endearing character and the way Ransome brought out his inner worries and concerns over the wrecking and its aftermath is one of the best bits of character writing I've ever read

Croak

www.yotblog.com
If you wind the story forward 80 years and cast a jaundiced eye over it in the light of modern technology then no, you wouldn't approve given that we now have smart, lightweight functional buoyancy aids, plastic and GRP moulding technology etc and so on which simply wasn't available at the time the story was written

Last week I was a Charcoal Burner at a Swallows ans Amazon event.

I was watching a family preparing for a trip on the lake in a Lark I think.

The dad was trying to get a small girl estimate 3-6 years into a life jacket, firstly by logical argument and secondly by "well you are not coming with us if you don't put it on." Her argument back was, "but its fuggy"

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
The dad was trying to get a small girl estimate 3-6 years into a life jacket, firstly by logical argument and secondly by "well you are not coming with us if you don't put it on." Her argument back was, "but its fuggy"

I'd have drowned the little brat :)

Does make you wonder what the world has come to when a child of such tender years is more concerned about her appearance than the exciting adventure upon which she's about to embark though!

prv

Visit site
Does make you wonder what the world has come to when a child of such tender years is more concerned about her appearance than the exciting adventure upon which she's about to embark though!

Might she have meant that it was hot, sweaty and uncomfortable, rather than ugly?

Pete

JumbleDuck

Visit site
You think Swallowdale is bad? What about We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea? No lifejackets, safety harnesses, VHF, GPS, EPIRB, AIS, radar reflector, proof of VAT status, RCD documentation, ICC or liferaft. Worst of all, Goblin didn't have hot and cold running water, and we all know, my dears, that one simply cannot go cruising without that.

Still my number one top favourite sailing book, though.