Suzuki DT 2.2

ianc1200

Visit site
Anybody able to offer advice. I bought a new 2.2DT Suzuki this time last year, found it to be a wonderful O/B, light, powerful, reliable etc. Wish I'd bought two! However tried to use it for first time this season on Sunday and appears to be seized solid. As far as i can see there's no locking mechanism, or something to stop you turning it over if in gear (as per my Yamaha). I didn't wash out at end of season, and most of use was in the Blackwater, so very salty. It was stored upright all winter in my house, so would have thought any salty water would have run out.

I've tried pouring Redex into the cylinder, but nothing appears to be finding it's way to the bottom of the engine, and no movement.

Any ideas?

thanks

IanC

Avocet

Visit site
Will it turn over with the spark plug out? Also try taking the prop off and the impeller (which lives behind the cover immediately behind (i.e. forward of) the prop.

Heckler

Visit site
have one as welll, superb except!! if you turned it on its side when you took off the dinghy it is possible that you got sea water in the cylinder from the exhaust. they are dead easy to strip from the bottom up. 10mm spanner, be careful they break!! take the leg off and you can get the exhaust port off which will probably be blocked with salt, wd40, light oil and gentle persuasion should free it off, you will be able to see the piston and rings thru the ex port to get oil to it, gently gently!!

MikeBz

Visit site
Isn't this engine permanently in gear (no neutral of reverse)? My earlier model is like that. If so then it could be right angle drive at the bottom of the leg that's seized rather than the engine. This seizing seems to be a common 'feature' on the little Mariner 2-strokes.

Mike

MonniotC

Visit site
Mine seized up after I had left it on its side for a few days in the back of the car and then put it away for the winter without flushing it out or running it. I put some light oil in the plughole, and was able (just) to turn it over by pushing down on a propellor blade with my foot. Once I got it moving it freed up quite quickly, and I then started it up and let it have a good flush out in a rig I had made at home for the purpose. Since it always comes home on its side in the back of the car, I now always run it in the rig when I get home to flush out any salt and oil the barrel and piston. It must then be left to dry out vertically. I've had no problems since I adopted this approach.

ianc1200

Visit site
Yes, now got it free, (I think the Redex worked) and will get some 2 stroke oil down the plug hole. Luckily now due to be used in fresh water only this season.

Thanks for all the advice.

IanC