Suzuki DF9.9 to 15 hp - at last the answer

BillyBloater

Visit site
Some time ago I posted a thread asking for help as I wanted to know how Suzuki restricted the DF 15hp outboard down to 9.9 hp.

After a great deal of discussion we did not manage to find the answer.

I never gave up totally, and while at the London Boat Show I managed to pin down a very knowledgeble chap who sold me the answer.

It seems that the complete carb is different. So, after parting with £200 I purchased the 15 hp carb and spent 30 minutes fitting it. Hey Presto I now have a much quicker boat.

For those that are intersested the internal diameter of the bore in the 9.9hp carb is 11mm and the 15 hp is 31mm, some three and a half times the cross sec area.

Many thanks to all of you that gave advice.

Billy (whizz)

kcrane

Visit site
I understand (from man on stand at NEC today) that they recently brought out a new 9.9.
It is no longer a throttled 15hp, it is based on the same 200'ish cc engine as their new 8hp.

The combined throttle and gear selector looked nice I have to say, and the build quality also looked good at first sight - though at £2,400 it would have to be, as the Yamaha is around £2k'ish and the other makes less still.

kcrane

Visit site
any chance you know the difference between the new DF5 and the DF6 just out of interest?

I asked and was told the 4, 5 and 6 are the same basic engine, 138cc, and that a bit of tweaking of the mapping (and maybe jetting) reduced or increased the power. The 5 and 6 also rev somewhat higher (4 = 5000rpm, 5=5500rpm and 6=5750rpm). They were unsurprisingly the same weight (25kg). They did look good.

Overall having looked at Honda, Tohatsu, Yamaha, Mariner and Suzuki today, based on non-scientific poking around, trying to tilt them, set shallow running, looking under hoods etc. the Suzuki came out my top choice, followed by Yamaha.

Firefly625

Visit site
I asked and was told the 4, 5 and 6 are the same basic engine, 138cc, and that a bit of tweaking of the mapping (and maybe jetting) reduced or increased the power. The 5 and 6 also rev somewhat higher (4 = 5000rpm, 5=5500rpm and 6=5750rpm). They were unsurprisingly the same weight (25kg). They did look good.

Overall having looked at Honda, Tohatsu, Yamaha, Mariner and Suzuki today, based on non-scientific poking around, trying to tilt them, set shallow running, looking under hoods etc. the Suzuki came out my top choice, followed by Yamaha.

I have a Suzuki 6hp 4stroke, IMHO being single cylinder has its + & -'s, it is not as smooth as a Yamaha... and after very little use the steering tensioner has welded itself locked, even after 3 months soaking in penetrating oil it won't budge.. so Suzuki keep up their reputation for using poor alloys which do not like salt water... but being single cylinder it is a lot lighter than other 6hp OB's.... so you have to make a choice...weight or refinement. Also still have a little 2hp water cooled Honda 4stroke, ultra reliable and it is used and abused, and lovely and light.. even my 7 year old daughter can pick it up...

But I do think on the whole Suzuki OB are around the best there are at the moment...but every manufacturer has its day.. although would love to try a Yami 350hp on something silly:cool:

But still can't beat a classic Merc ToP

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
and after very little use the steering tensioner has welded itself locked, even after 3 months soaking in penetrating oil it won't budge

Same with my Suzuki 8.

It even went for service, including having the gear selector unjammed, and it still came back with seized steering tensioner.

A virtual pint for anybody who can suggest a way yo free it. As with you, WD40 and the like is useless.