Suzuki 6 HP question

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
Last year my auxilary engine, a two year old Suzuki 6hp 4 stroke, went back to dealers to have the plastic pilot water hole/flushing plug removed, under warranty - the little grip had snapped off and the plug was fully screwed in and impossible to remove.

I only noticed today whilst cleaning the boat, ready for launch tomorrow, that the plug had been replaced by a bolt that had been cut down to size. I assume that as there is no hole through the middle, that I now have no 'tell tail'.

The engine is now out of warranty, but is it okay to carry on with this 'repair' or should I buy a new plug or tell the dealers to get me one at their own expense.

I expect they are now getting fed up with me, but I really have had just about enough of this supposedly 'good' dealer.

456796926_7bbe77e9d6.jpg

456815497_ddd5f92a77.jpg

You can see where it was cut with a hacksaw.
456815487_396b2d2f68.jpg

stevieee

Visit site
What's more of a concern, did they cut a larger thread into the block of your 4 stroke to accept the bolt? If so, then the proper part'd no longer fit.

If it was me, I'd give them hell.

patr

Visit site
Speak to them pronto. The reason the hole is there is to provide the tell tale evidence that water is circulating around your engine. Mine broke in similar circumstances to you and it took a letter to the MD Suzuki GB to get another as my incompetent Suzuki dealer, Goodwick Marine in Fishguard failed to order one. I now have a Honda.

No hole, no tell tale , no guarantee that water is circulating.

graham

Visit site
My Suzuki is on the boat so I cant confirm this 100%just now but from memory the tell tale hole is somewhere else.ie not through the bolt that plugs off the hole you screw the flushing nozzle to. Personally I cant see the problem if the bolt is the correct size and seals the hole.

Im hoping to get on the boat tommorow so I'll have a look.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What's more of a concern, did they cut a larger thread into the block of your 4 stroke to accept the bolt? If so, then the proper part'd no longer fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wondered that, but the flushing plug hose attachment I bought from Suzuki still fits.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
Yes, I will go out tomorrow and buy the vice, bench drill and all the other stuff I will need to drill a straight hole through a bolt made of god knows what metal. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I should add that this was a warranty job and I should expect the proper part to be fitted and not have to start drilling holes.

I think a letter to Suzuki UK is obviously the best remedy.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

My Suzuki is on the boat so I cant confirm this 100%just now but from memory the tell tale hole is somewhere else.ie not through the bolt that plugs off the hole you screw the flushing nozzle to. Personally I cant see the problem if the bolt is the correct size and seals the hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the manual in front of me and it is one and the same. The original is plastic, has a hole in middle and a grip flange to undo it and since I bought it, the water has always come out of the hole.

After use, you unscrew the plastic plug and screw in the metal flushing plug attachment, which is joined to a hose.

But, I would be pleased if you could confirm that your water does exit through the plug...or not.

I assume you have a late model 6hp, or thereabouts.

theforeman

Visit site
yes, i appreciate it is a warranty job but why do you want to replace a part that has failed prematurely with another of the same. i`m a great believer in a properly engineered solution and that, imho, invariably means metal. the only further suggestion i would make is get another bolt with a head that will take a socket or a spanner.
ps i thought every boat owner had, at a minimum, a vice and a drill /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
hope you get it sorted.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i thought every boat owner had, at a minimum, a vice and a drill

[/ QUOTE ]

That's raggies!

Yes, of course I could do it, but I have basically been stitched by the dealer and they are not going to get away with it.

graham

Visit site
My motor is a 2003 DF4 (identical to the DF6 but with the revs limited) .

I just had a look in my user handbook and you are right, the tell tale is through the plug you remove to fit the flush nozzle.

I would phone the dealer tell him to send you a genuine replacement plug.

Possibly he tried to do you a favour by making one and not waiting for the part to be delivered if he didnt have it in stock.

suzuki.jpg

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
Thanks for the confirmation. For a moment I thought I was going mad...er, sorry, madder.

If you have read the history of my boat and trailer on this forum, you will see that the dealer had my boat in for warranty work from the 21st August 2006 until the 14th February 2007. They informed me that the work on the 6hp had been completed in September 2006, so they weren't doing me any favours at all.

graham

Visit site
I hadnt read the story of your warranty probs. Sounds like a night mare.

Had a short sail this afternoon and had a nose at my engine ,the telltale is as per the handbook,its me thats loseing it then /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif