Surveyers?

Moose

Visit site
Whopee!
I have had my offer accepted for a Phantom 37 that I was looking at.
Now then, does any one have any recomendations to make as far as who is a good surveyor (I would have a complete boat survey) and who could do a good engine survey for me in the Solent area.
Thanks
Moose
P.S I hate the dateslip thing had I been around when the grand vote took place the "anti's" would have had another vote. There I feel better now!
P.S (2) Thanks to everyone who contributed to all my questions asked about what boat to buy and how to buy it, hopefully I will soon have some experince to be able to answer questions rather than just ask them.

ToMo

Just outside Budapest or In the Med (Corfu)
Visit site
There wasn't!
There is to be/has been a secret and binding decision by the Awesome Kimo the fertyfirst with regard to this, immediately/next week/the week after/sometime soon/or later when he will/may/might inform us lowly peasants of the cast in stone/concrete/wood/GRP (not sure I can spell glass reinforced plastic!) decision - whereupon we can all sink or swim with it.

TôMö

ToMo

Just outside Budapest or In the Med (Corfu)
Visit site
Re: Forum

There wasn't!
There is to be/has been (?) a secret and binding decision by the Awesome Kimo the fertyfirst, with regard to this - immediately/next week/the week after/sometime soon/or later when he - will/may/might inform us lowly peasants of the - cast in stone/concrete/wood/GRP (not sure I can spell glass reinforced plastic!) decision - whereupon we can all sink or swim with it.

TôMö

burgundyben

Visit site
Try Bill Dunlop at Marintec in Lymington, very good, excellent tho a little expensive, he has done 2 surveys for me, v pleased both times.

I am gonna spend it on wine, women and song, and blow the rest.........

miket

Visit site
I use a chap in Oxford, Ian Burgoyne. Always found him very reliable.

Think one of the best in Solent area, if still in business, is Frank Veryll. He used to do many of the "Subject to Survey" articles some years ago.
He is very strong on mechanicals.

alpha

Visit site
I've come to the conclusion that:

(a) If you know enough to own a boat, you know enough to survey a boat.
(b) If you don't know that you don't know enough, then you'll be really surprised at how much it all costs.
(c) Bearing in mind (a) and (b) above, don't waste your money on a surveyor.

Three golden rules of boat surveying:
1. Don't leave any stone unturned, any locker unopened, any bilge un-checked, any system un-tested;
2. Don't trust anything the broker says - in fact, don't waste your breath asking the broker anything. Just be really, incisively, critical of all the duff bits;
3. Find as much wrong as you can, and knock the price down. I mean way down. Like 25% is only for starters. Even then, putting it all right will cost such enormous sums of money, that you'll be glad you didn't employ a surveyor.

chippie

Visit site
I think your advice of not hiring a surveyor could be well founded for cheaper boats if the potential purchaser has the knowledge,but for the more expensive boats it is such a small proportion of the overall price one would be foolish or very knowledgable to bypass the services of a good surveyor. I would tend to think of the cost as a one off extra insurance payment.

fjweaver

Visit site
I can 2nd that about Brian Goodfellow & my uncle can 3rd it.
Cost me selling my decent boat by covering his #rse, & cost my uncle a lot of money saying his engine needed replacing when it was a good runner.

Doesn't make much odds to surveyors if the boat's not sold - they still get their money & no chance of being sued