SURLY YOU MUST HAVE SEEN IT COMING

vitalspark

Visit site
I don’t often post here but I can’t believe the amount of people that are still unrelenting in there disgust about the fuel prices.
I have been boating for over 16 years, and last year sold our last boat (of 13)
VITALSPARK7.jpg
not because I didn’t love it was a real passion It was simply because I was not prepared to pay £100 for an hour of cruising, sadly I feel we have had our time as motor boaters and need to move on to something as satisfying (but what?) that’s the dilemma.
You knew it was coming or you should have there is no hindsight involved in this one, its been the scuttlebutt for years but most have been in denial and have unfortunately been left with largely depreciating craft.
I will return to the boat after everything calms down but I cant see that for 3 or 4 years.

I have written to Mr Blair, cancelled my RYA subs as a protest at their lack of support, although it seems to have made little difference as I sometimes contract for a large organisation adjacent to their fully air-conditioned building and see scores of new RYA liveried Volvo cars arriving regularly.

I wonder how many people who supposedly support the industry have honestly done anything tangible about the situation, and instead gone along with the government line for an easy life, tax favours etc.
Shame on you as you sit at the various AGM’s stuffing you face’s with the hard earned taxed capital of the individuals who have provided the very fair you are enjoying, only to be betrayed for pursuing their dreams.

It’s a wonder no one has blockaded Southampton or Portsmouth harbour in protest.
I know what comes around goes around

Yours sincerely

vitalspark

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How much would you be prepared to pay for one hour of cruising then?

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends entiery on the weather /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bendyone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How much would you be prepared to pay for one hour of cruising then?

[/ QUOTE ]

You pay what you can afford to spend on your hobby.

Visit site
I don’t often post here but I can’t believe the amount of people that are still unrelenting in there disgust about the fuel prices.
I have been boating for over 16 years, and last year sold our last boat (of 13)
VITALSPARK7.jpg
not because I didn’t love it was a real passion It was simply because I was not prepared to pay £100 for an hour of cruising, sadly I feel we have had our time as motor boaters and need to move on to something as satisfying (but what?) that’s the dilemma.
You knew it was coming or you should have there is no hindsight involved in this one, its been the scuttlebutt for years but most have been in denial and have unfortunately been left with largely depreciating craft.
I will return to the boat after everything calms down but I cant see that for 3 or 4 years.

I have written to Mr Blair, cancelled my RYA subs as a protest at their lack of support, although it seems to have made little difference as I sometimes contract for a large organisation adjacent to their fully air-conditioned building and see scores of new RYA liveried Volvo cars arriving regularly.

I wonder how many people who supposedly support the industry have honestly done anything tangible about the situation, and instead gone along with the government line for an easy life, tax favours etc.
Shame on you as you sit at the various AGM’s stuffing you face’s with the hard earned taxed capital of the individuals who have provided the very fair you are enjoying, only to be betrayed for pursuing their dreams.

It’s a wonder no one has blockaded Southampton or Portsmouth harbour in protest.
I know what comes around goes around

Yours sincerely

First post, be gentle

Wow, is it true that it costs iro £100 an hour to run a decent boat?

I am (was, until I read this) seriously considering a boat, reasonable size (4 - 6 berth sport cruiser), ideally with a couple of diesels, mainly for river / coastal use. But if it is really likley to cost in excess of £300 for a day out (allowing for the fact I will not be motoring for the entire day), I may have to reconsider.

I was thinking about posting a question about ownership costs, but this may make that post redundant.

I am not poor, and actually drive a large, and fairly uneconomical car (5.0l V8), but these costs make it sound like a supermini.

Please put me out of my misery and tell me that it is not that bad.

Cheers

Andy