can anyone tell me who to contact regarding getting a berth here

it looks as though the price might be right

I am worried that Wisbech might turn out to be a bit expensive

I can drop my mast to get under the bridge

Dylan

Tommyrot

yuan-hang.blogspot.com
Already offered a while back.
Not the safest place to leave a boat unattended, although I didn't suffer greatly in 6 years there others did...
It's still an option, and a good one for overnighting....

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Surfleet looks like it might work

as you said - Boston looked a but 'rough' but I will certainly be visiting

but Surfleet does look like an amazing place

as is wainfleet

but what I need is somewhere I can safely sit while bad weather blows through

the nene will certainly work

but a three month contract is £180

that is eight sets of DVDs

Dylan

ianc1200

Visit site

bastonjock

Visit site
dylan,sixpence is the only guy that i know of who had a mooring at surfleet.The mooring was a bit ricketty and when the sluice gates are openned the current is a bit on the strong side and your boat gets bashed about if you are close to the gates.

Have you aked the guy at Fosdyke for a quote? also have you explained to Wisbech about your filming? Wisbech does do discounts for various things,you could promise to give them some great press,they are always advertising their vacant berths.

There are also a few moorings down at Port Sutton,they are all privately owned perhaps asking the guys at Sutton bridge may help.

I think that the welland may be too restrictive for you,the acsess to the sea from there is through Fulney lock and you can only get through at certain heights of the tide and a guy from the EA operates the lock and you have to book your passage

If its just somewhere to sit whilst the weather blows over,i belive that there are mooring buoys close to Kings lynn

Last edited:

Sixpence

Visit site
Hi Dylan
Got your PM but it's been a bit busy here so this is the first chance I've had to reply, so might as well answer here

Main problem with The Welland and Fosdyke is the current flow when the tide's running, with your engine especially it would be a case of going out when the tide was just right, and staying out until the next time it was just right. Those heading to Seas End come in when the tide is on the flood, but time it so they arrive at Seas End when the flow has eased enough to allow them to make the turn
Timed my departure when I headed to Fosdyke a little early but luckily I had 7.5HP hanging off the transom (thanks SimpleSimon) or I would have ended up in Spalding

The work at Seas End was well underway when we moved to Suffolkiashire but it sounds like they will be doing the bank where I was moored this year, which means the mooring I was on will be out of use until they're done. Not sure about that but George may be able to help there (he will probably see this thread next time he looks in)

These two short vid's show what it was like at Seas End where I was

Most of the moorings aren't like that, but they needed to drop the water level in The Glen and I was parked right n line with the sluice. Helps if there is a long board tied to the side to fend off when the boat moves like that, which I didn't know at the time. Long way down at low tide too, sort of spooky

SeasEnd038.jpg

Think I've lost the number for the owner of that mooring, but if you do want to go for it, you could always just pitch up at a mooring that's vacant and speak to some of the other owners when you arrive. Explain your predicament and I'm sure they'll help out, nice bunch there.

If you're after somewhere cheaper than cheap to moor for a longer period, there is a mooring on The Glen you would be able to use for as long as you want, and free. Not the best but it's all I could afford to build at the time. Problem with that is you would only be able to get out on to The Welland again, when the tide is just right, as the lock is a scissor type where the lock keeper can only open when the tide is just right, or the rush of water can cause a few problems

SeasEnd029.jpg

SeasEnd030.jpg

Going the other way you could do it quite easily if you get a weather window for a trip over The Wash and into The Welland, moor at Fosdyke for a night or two probably about £10 per night, then head up river when the time is right. But without knowing what you're heading for I wouldn't do it without scouting it out first yourself. It's a long and boring trip from Fosdyke and plenty to look out for, part floating TV's and fire extinguishers are nothing when that tree branch comes at you

As said, you're more than welcome to use my old mooring for as long as you like, and no doubt Matt would be able to help you find it, but it's non tidal and more a winter hideaway than a handy place for sailing from. Scout out the trip from Fosdyke first though, and speak to some of the old salts at Seas End who can often be found there early on a Sunday morning. Listen to what they have to say, then go with your instincts

There aren't many rocks in the area either, except around the junction near Tabs Head, just where you don't want them with a small engine as the flow from Boston as you turn onto The Welland tends to push you sideways, and you need power to push through it, even when the tide is right

All in all, there are reasons why The Wash is quite a cheap place to moor in. One of the best kept secret sailing waters on the East Coast, absolutely excellent when the weather is right, but a complete pig when the weather turns because you're stuck out there until the tide is right. Certain people from Skegness yacht club know this all too well, and you learn the art of ferry gliding very fast round there. Maybe now you can see why most who do a round Britain sailing trip tend to skip past The Wash, some waters are just too difficult for them :eek::D
Ask yourself why some people only head as far North as Yarmouth but as far South as the continent ;)
If you do go for it though, don't let on or the others might realise what they're missing and the next thing you know it's invaded by the entire East Coast forum having a pishup at the truly excellent pub at Seas End :D

Go for it and I'm sure you'll get loads of help, even plenty of physical help too
Hope this helps:eek:

dylanwinter

blimey

thanks f9or great answers

looks like a place to visit rather than stay

after watching your film of the tide going out past your mooring

a tough place to sleep I would guess

so I am definately going to visit

but I will see about the Nene as a base

Wonder if they would do me a deal on a three month contract - at the moment it looks like it would cost me about £200

But its £40 worth of petrol every time I go to the boat and at the Nene ai could do a lot more sailing

D

bastonjock

Visit site
There is also a mooring at Guyhirn on the nene,its a proper EA pontoon and has locked gate access,it would be okay for a couple of days,ive never seen a boat on it,i can also tell you where to get a key for the gate.

Sixpence

Visit site
Apologies for the confusion Dylan, the video isn't showing tidal flow, it's the flood water from the left hand sluice in the pic after the video, and that mooring was the only one really affected by it. Otherwise it's a great place to hide up, just a long way from open water

Anyway, as you sound like you're determined to not skip The Wash, let's do the job properly, shall we ? ;)

First point you may wish to look at is Kings Lynn, and I think I've figured out what you're after now so if we're thinking cheap as chips then maybe look at the fish landing quay in KL as a first thought. They may be able to help out with somewhere there if you show them you're daft enough to just turn up :D

Looking at my chart of KL it looks like there are a few other options there too, if you haven't got the chart let me know and I'll e mail what you need. Not up to date but then nothing is in The Wash

There are mooring buoys too, don't know the situation with them though

The mooring at Guyhirn is a visitors mooring, restricted to a few days as I remember, and a long way to open sea, through Wisbech before the mast can go up which means you'll be trying to do that when the tide is aiming to spit you out the other end. Looked at that myself some time ago, but if you go for KL first that will put you much closer to Wisbech, and another river along so you can make a more informed decision on it

Hope this helps, but remember, I is just a novice really, as Ken will vouch for ;)

CliveG

Visit site
For an overnight stop in Kings Lynn there are some buoys just the seaward side of the last fixed bridge up river from the town.
These can be seen in Google maps streetveiw.
The bridge is on Wisbech Road.
I have considered using these to stop and raise the mast when I planned to store Sirenia at the sailing club in Cambridge.

It would be worth while dropping into Kings Lynn on your way to or from Wells.

jono_howlett

Visit site
Mooring

KL and boston certainly on my to do list

did think I had a window this week - now southerly 28 mph winds so will have to wait a bit longer

Dylan

Hi Dylan,

Have you thought of asking the Harbour master Bob in Wells if you can hole up in the outer harbour? I think the channel is dredged to 1m upto the entrance if it so you should be able to get in and out ok. I know they dont want to encourage pleasure boaters in there which is fair enough but maybe they'll make an exception in this case...

Also I think there was talk of putting waiting moorings in outside the outer harbour as well though I have not seen any so maybe you could use these?

jono

dylanwinter

down wityh the tide

Hi Dylan,

Have you thought of asking the Harbour master Bob in Wells if you can hole up in the outer harbour? I think the channel is dredged to 1m upto the entrance if it so you should be able to get in and out ok. I know they dont want to encourage pleasure boaters in there which is fair enough but maybe they'll make an exception in this case...

Also I think there was talk of putting waiting moorings in outside the outer harbour as well though I have not seen any so maybe you could use these?

jono

I have been down with the early tide, spent the day around the channel and back with the evening tide,

but still not really enought time to get to the other harbours along the coast

I will come back to north norfolk during the summer when I have more daylight

I really need to film those birds in the wash

D

bastonjock

Visit site
Dylan if you have ever seen the film footage on TV of thousands of birds flying in Rome that are doing the most beautifull display of acrobatic flying,then thats what you get at sunset just off of Gibraltar point.