Suppresser on Kad32 compressor clutch wiring harness

fuzzy748

Visit site
I’m trying to identify the little inline electrical block that both wires on our Kad32 compressor clutch wires pass through, is it some sort of suppression item ? it’s about the size of a small piece of Lego, white in colour, a red and a white wire go in one side and two black wires come out the other and go directly to the clutch, the problem is that one of the black wires have become detached and there’s not much left to solder/re-attach it, if it’s come sort of condenser does anyone know what value it should be,
Thanks in advance

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I’m trying to identify the little inline electrical block that both wires on our Kad32 compressor clutch wires pass through, is it some sort of suppression item ? it’s about the size of a small piece of Lego, white in colour, a red and a white wire go in one side and two black wires come out the other and go directly to the clutch, the problem is that one of the black wires have become detached and there’s not much left to solder/re-attach it, if it’s come sort of condenser does anyone know what value it should be,
Thanks in advance
It’s a diode , do not use the engine without it .

fuzzy748

Visit site
After a bit of searching I’ve come across a component called a ‘flyback diode’ , does anyone have any ideas please

kashurst

Visit site
yes, its very important. When an inductor (a coil of wire) stops carrying current a very large voltage will develop. That needs to be removed/isolated/dissapated to prevent the large voltage damaging the controling components. Yes they can be bought elsewhere etc. However do you know if yours has actually failed? I'ts quite rare. More likely the coil/solenoid that creates the magnetic field to operate the clutch has short circuited - which is very difficult to determine with just a multimeter.

AllanG

Visit site
yes, its very important. When an inductor (a coil of wire) stops carrying current a very large voltage will develop. That needs to be removed/isolated/dissapated to prevent the large voltage damaging the controling components. Yes they can be bought elsewhere etc. However do you know if yours has actually failed? I'ts quite rare. More likely the coil/solenoid that creates the magnetic field to operate the clutch has short circuited - which is very difficult to determine with just a multimeter.
The OP has stated one of the black wires has broken, which may be difficult to repair, hence why I think he’s looking to replace the complete diode.

kashurst

Visit site
You can buy diodes online from Farnell and RS components. A 10 amp rectifier diode will do the job. You can buy them from Amazon or RS components etc.The cathode (the end with the stripe) needs to connect to the +12 and the anode to the other side.

Last edited:

fuzzy748

Visit site
You can buy diodes online from Farnell and RS components. A 10 amp rectifier diode will do the job. You can buy them from Amazon or RS components etc.The cathode (the end with the stripe) needs to connect to the +12 and the anode to the other side.
Many thanks, just the information I needed, I’ll get one and guess incapsulate it for security
👍

fuzzy748

Visit site
Hi, thanks for the info, just to be clear the new diode goes across the two wires with the stripe to pos and other end to other wire