Super yacht suspected of causing Greek island forest fire

reeac

Visit site
Some years ago a neighbour was out on her horse in our local forest when she encountered a group of people about to light a bbq. ..at a time when there were notices about proclaiming the area to be a severe fire hazard. She threatened to call the police if they did. That stopped them.

Bouba

Visit site
Even on Porquerolle, smoking is banned outside of the village....but of course some smokers still light up in the forest...occasionally we tell them off... and they never appreciate it

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Some years ago a neighbour was out on her horse in our local forest when she encountered a group of people about to light a bbq. ..at a time when there were notices about proclaiming the area to be a severe fire hazard. She threatened to call the police if they did. That stopped them.
It is quite easy to have a BBQ and keep it under control. No need to go over the top. I fear calling the police would have been wasted effort and threatening such should be discouraged.

sarabande

Visit site
It is quite easy to have a BBQ and keep it under control. No need to go over the top. I fear calling the police would have been wasted effort and threatening such should be discouraged.

You clearly don't know how the local police and natives feel about fires in Greece. The cause was fireworks not a barbecue; they are much less controllable and affect a far wider area.

If another person sees a crime about to be committed it's not your job to decide whether they should be "discouraged" from calling the police, or not. You are trying to impose your highly personal social philosophy and Weltanschauung on other people, without attempting to empathise.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
You clearly don't know how the local police and natives feel about fires in Greece. The cause was fireworks not a barbecue; they are much less controllable and affect a far wider area.

If another person sees a crime about to be committed it's not your job to decide whether they should be "discouraged" from calling the police, or not. You are trying to impose your highly personal social philosophy and Weltanschauung on other people, without attempting to empathise.
For those uneducated who don’t know what “weltanschauug” is.
I quote
Weltanschauung is the fundamental cognitive orientation of an individual or society encompassing the whole of the individual's or society's knowledge, culture, and point of view.

All clear now? ;)

stelican

Visit site
I quote
Weltanschauung is the fundamental cognitive orientation of an individual or society encompassing the whole of the individual's or society's knowledge, culture, and point of view.

All clear now? ;)
That's right🙄

ylop

Visit site
And yet in some areas of extremely high fire risk authorities have decided to make that illegal, presumably because:
  • not everyone will do it safely
  • its unlikely that everyone who says its "quite easy" actually really understands the risks
  • if some people are seen to do it, it seems to make it OK for others who maybe less competent
  • if the area is that high risk there are probably forest rangers / fire fighters etc patrolling looking for smoke - and their time is best used investigating / responding to real fires than someone's burgers
  • the consequences of a "small likelihood*" event are so great that the restriction on freedom so that you can't have open flames *IN A FOREST* when its tinder dry are a fair trade off.
I'm pretty sure that in the highest periods of fire risk the police would rather get a call to someone lighting a BBQ in a stupid area than have to deal with their part of managing a major wild fire.

Bigplumbs

Visit site

My comment and the post I commented on was in the UK.

And I will encourage is discourage as I wish. It is called free speech

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I quote

All clear now? ;)
So squit in my world. Spouted by people who don’t live in the real world

Bigplumbs

Visit site
And yet in some areas of extremely high fire risk authorities have decided to make that illegal, presumably because:
  • not everyone will do it safely
  • its unlikely that everyone who says its "quite easy" actually really understands the risks
  • if some people are seen to do it, it seems to make it OK for others who maybe less competent
  • if the area is that high risk there are probably forest rangers / fire fighters etc patrolling looking for smoke - and their time is best used investigating / responding to real fires than someone's burgers
  • the consequences of a "small likelihood*" event are so great that the restriction on freedom so that you can't have open flames *IN A FOREST* when its tinder dry are a fair trade off.
I'm pretty sure that in the highest periods of fire risk the police would rather get a call to someone lighting a BBQ in a stupid area than have to deal with their part of managing a major wild fire.
Not the case with regard to the post I commented on. It was just the post of a Busy Body

Bouba

Visit site
Mmmmm something not quite right - the crew are arrested but those who hired the boat leave the country seemingly untroubled..... can't imagine the engineer or the maids had much to do with the matter beyond 'by association'
I think you need to exchange the word leave to fled

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Mmmmm something not quite right - the crew are arrested but those who hired the boat leave the country seemingly untroubled..... can't imagine the engineer or the maids had much to do with the matter beyond 'by association'
Of course I don’t know the detail but had some experience of this in South Korea a couple of months back
We went on an sunset cruise on a cat, in the south around a beautiful setting of small islands
At the end fireworks were lashed to the railings and set off. The other 20 passengers loved it but we were glad when the total madness was over. As a passenger you have very little control at the time.

IMG_7303.png

Last edited:

ylop

Visit site
It did strike me as odd that there were so many arrests - but you have to be careful with press reports, and with making assumptions about what the word arrest means in different countries. It may well be several of them are released without charge.

That said, I’m not sure exactly how the division of labour works on a super yacht. For stuff like fireworks doesn’t sound ridiculous that the engineer would be involved - I’m guessing this isn’t a £50 Tesco firework and there’s a bit more to it than that and if it was a firework party clearly the stewards (I don’t think they are called maids anymore) will have played a roll in organising it. I think here we would want to know who the “controlling mind” is - but perhaps Greece is trying to make a point that there were 12 other people who could speak up and say this is stupid.