Sunk Mobo on Mykonos - Would User Content Have Saved?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
This is the article about the mobo sinking off Mykonos, probably already discussed:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...cht-sinking-running-aground-Greek-island.html

However, looking at the location of the grounding on Navionics on my tablet the bay looks to have plenty of water until close in to shore, and the mobo looks well off, apart from the one addition by user philipnik in August 2014 where he describes "Rocks - Always under water"out in the deeper water.

Is this a case where user added content might have saved the boat?

Most of the time the user content is useless but I might reconsider!

Screenshot_2015-08-22-08-47-43.jpg

Richard

Screenshot is a bit small. Here is the original:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xv2g94drmyoowyx/Screenshot_2015-08-22-08-47-43.png?dl=0

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
That's odd. We were in there last season when I had a Garmin plotter. I am fairly sure the rock was shown, and marked with a small orange buoy, but is not shown on Navionics on my iPad.

You've now made me think about checking on my OpenCPN CM93 chart and it is indeed odd as the rock is shown on CM93 more or less in the spot where the user has plotted it. In fact, rather than actually seeing the rock in real life, he might be aware of its existence from his Garmin or Jeppesen charts and simply transferred the information onto Navionics.

Perhaps we can infer that the mobo owners chartplotter used Navionics rather than Garmin or Jeppesen charts?

Richard

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
That's odd. We were in there last season when I had a Garmin plotter. I am fairly sure the rock was shown, and marked with a small orange buoy, but is not shown on Navionics on my iPad.

I've now had a closer look at this bay on the Navionics chart on Android and, if I turn off Community Edits then I see that the "Rocks Always Underwater" is marked on the base chart but, when you turn Community Edits back on, a User has overwritten the the base chart with the comment that the Rocks are not there. The second User has then marked the position of the rocks in a more Easterly location.

I don't know whether the rocks are correctly positioned on the base chart or not but this is the first time I realised that a User can add a comment to a feature on the base chart as if it were their own symbol. Presumably the User located their "Rocks" symbol directly over the base chart symbol. I'm surprised that this is permitted by Navionics and I think it is misleading and could lead to a grounding or worse, although I've no idead whether that might have happened in this case.

Just something to be aware of if you are a Navionics user with Community Edits turned on.

Richard

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I don't have those here but I would bet that it is on the paper charts because:

Jeppesen shows the rock at 37.24.48N 25.20.68E

and Navionics shows it at 37.24.51N 25.20.64E (deemed by User to be incorrect)

The User correction to the Navionics chart shows it at 37.24.50N 25.20.73E so it is clearly the Easterly location which is in dispute with Navionics base chart to the West, Navionics corrected to the East and Jeppesen bang in between the two.

Best just to avoid the lot! :)

Richard