Sunday Afternoon Project - 30quid replacement cockpit carpet

makkers

www.makkers.com
The problem; the removable cockpit carpet was rubber backed and rotting leaving black dust everywhere which was getting into the bilge.

Thinking that my removable cockpit carpet should be easy to replace with an oem or 3rd party equiv would be an easy task, however I got an oem quote for $800 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and a not being able to find someone who would do this locally I thought ' well bugger- it can't be that difficault to cut and replace myself.'

So in an attempt to be credit crunch friendly and a bit of hunting around for a suitable bit of carpet and being fussy 'coz it can't be wool(apparently),& needs to be double turf or loop or whatever the tech term is, I found an offcut at Carpet Barn which met the dimensions and set to work.

Now - it wasn't all easy; cutting it to shape was a doddle with a nice sharp blade, but the edging took swmbo and I the best part of 4 evenings of sewing to complete.

Roll of carpet
carpet1.jpg

Cutting to shape(note the disintergrating rubber backing)
carpet2.jpg

carpet4.jpg

Edging materials from hobbycraft type shop
carpet3.jpg

Fitting the snap on poppers (no peeking at the knoc..er...poppers pls)
carpet5.jpg

Da-da - The Finished product
carpet6.jpg

carpet7.jpg

To be honest its not perfect but if it lasts 3yrs+ then its money and effort well afforded.

Total cost
Carpet £25
Sewing giblets £5.97
Effort £foc but cost some sore fingers
£370 change for /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

carlton

Visit site
Nice one Makkers. The edging definitely finishes it off nicely.

I've just done the same job myself, but used a rubber backed bathroom carpet for £60. The rubber backing is white, which appealed as previously we had the same problem as you with disintegrating black stuff.

It doesn't need edging - the pile 'tufts' or whatever they're called don't fall out, so edging not needed. That's why I bought/used it.

alandee

Visit site
I know this isn't my forum having a stick and flappy bits, but I did the same a couple of years back. Got a quote of over £600 so bought a piece of dark blue carpet from Carpet Barn for £37.50, cut out all the shapes, and had it all edge bound professionally for 50p/ft. It all came in at less than £100. Maybe you and I could start a business? And with all the money we save we could buy our own brewery!
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

carlton

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
......It all came in at less than £100. Maybe you and I could start a business? And with all the money we save we could buy our own brewery!
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah - on this forum matey, we spend the savings on fuel ! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif