Summer 2019 Cruising Plans

Railbob

Visit site
So where is everybody heading off to this summer? I'm planning on rounding the Mull of Kintyre then heading to two specific islands namely Rona and Danna. I have been promising for years to take my wife Rona to "Rona" and her sister Danna to "Danna" and have finally given in . Does anyone know of an occasional anchorage on Danna for a couple of hours whilst we visit the island?

dunedin

Visit site
Enjoy your cruise. Great sailing grounds.

Assume you will be taking both the relevant Imray / Clyde Cruising Club Sailing Directions with you (certainly highly recommended).
You will see from the CCC that there is a possible anchorage in Loch na Cille, west of Danna - though fairly exposed to the SW.
Also possible anchorage shown on East side by Castle Sween, though not sure how easy might be to get ashore on Danna from that side.

Passed that way many times, but not yet stopped at Danna as too many other good stops nearby.

Railbob

Visit site
Enjoy your cruise. Great sailing grounds.

Assume you will be taking both the relevant Imray / Clyde Cruising Club Sailing Directions with you (certainly highly recommended).
You will see from the CCC that there is a possible anchorage in Loch na Cille, west of Danna - though fairly exposed to the SW.
Also possible anchorage shown on East side by Castle Sween, though not sure how easy might be to get ashore on Danna from that side.

Passed that way many times, but not yet stopped at Danna as too many other good stops nearby.
Thanks Dunedin,
Yes I have the CCC directions but unfortunately they are up at the boat and I won't be up there for a few weeks. I'll have a quick look on good'ol google earth and take it from there. Hopefully the weather will be kind enough for a quick visit on Danna.

dunedin

Visit site
Thanks Dunedin,
Yes I have the CCC directions but unfortunately they are up at the boat and I won't be up there for a few weeks. I'll have a quick look on good'ol google earth and take it from there. Hopefully the weather will be kind enough for a quick visit on Danna.

Another option if strong SW winds might be sheltered Tayvallich and a cycle down to Danna. Or indeed Antares shows a "compact" anchorage at Taynish, which is closer.
As you know, there are a lot of options around these waters.

Heckler

Visit site
So where is everybody heading off to this summer? I'm planning on rounding the Mull of Kintyre then heading to two specific islands namely Rona and Danna. I have been promising for years to take my wife Rona to "Rona" and her sister Danna to "Danna" and have finally given in . Does anyone know of an occasional anchorage on Danna for a couple of hours whilst we visit the island?
Been busy buying Ryanair tickets to Faro for this year.

JumbleDuck

Visit site

I've spent the night there, and jolly nice it is too, as long as you're sheltered.

bd2pMyK.png

From memory I anchored just south of the B in B8025. The chapel is well worth visiting, as it has a display of carved stones including some very early depictions of ships.

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/keills-chapel-and-cross/

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Another play around the west of Mull I think, then maybe south via Colonsay to explore West Loch Tarbert on Jura on the way to Gigha, Bangor, Isle of Man. But really it will depend on the weather, Two years ago we were planning to play north off Oban, saw the miserable forecast and three days later were getting sunburned in Bangor.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Eighty in a few month so west round the world via Panama if I go in my Moody, or east via Suez if I go in my IFBoat. Both boats are ready. I am certainly ready. I am leaning towards the IFBoat.

RupertW

Visit site
After a long (for us) trip in August from Croatia to Menorca we plan to spend the summer tootling between the islands and getting to know them.

Then in the Autumn we will probably head to the Canaries if work and money permits and either get an annual berth there and spend 2020 exploring those islands in a week here and a week there between work, or set off instead to the Caribbean for 4 months and get the boat delivered back to Italy at the end. Always a balance between money and time off.