Suggest me a day trip

SeaDave

Visit site
Hello

I'm in Brighton marina in a boat with a medium range....not sure precisely what it is (searay 225 2.8diesel) but can get to IoW and back on a tank....

I'm going to return there soon as I really enjoyed the trip but is there anywhere else I should be exploring closer to Brighton? I've looked on the charts but with local knowledge would be easier...

Cheers.

mm1

Visit site
why o why would you ever want to leave Brighton anyway, /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.
but seriously if you can get to IoW then I would suggest Lymington,there are good moorings(2 marinas/or bouys off the town quay)a very good sat morning market,many good restaurants,including a very good chip shop., See you there, Regards m m 1.
ps - there is also plenty of fuel as both marinas sell petrol and diesel

Powersalt

Visit site
I used to berth in brighton, and now sail there with my sons yacht.

We used to do day trips to Newhaven for lunch and back. Eastbourne for the day/overnight.
Going the other way Shoreham, littlehampton. All day trips.
Chichester that bit further.
All good exciting first time trips.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
There's the problem with mobo's, all that expense & nowhere to go. At least us raggies are happy just going backwards & forwards without getting anywhere.

Ever thought of getting an Esso map? I understand they will show you most of the places along the coast & you may find something worth spending hundreds of quids worth of diesel to visit.

Kawasaki

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
At least us raggies are happy just going backwards & forwards without getting anywhere.

I can Second that!

Ever thought of getting an Esso map? I understand they will show you most of the places along the coast & you may find something worth spending hundreds of quids worth of diesel to visit.

[/ QUOTE ] :

The Esso map is a good idea.

When we get to somewhere we need to find a real Posh place to get pissed and av a real expensive Steak and stuff.
'Fray Bentos'
What the F is that? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

AdeOlly

Visit site
If you can manage IoW you *should* be able to manage Fecamp It's the closest in France to Brighton at ~65nm.

Not managed to go myself yet, but hoping to go shortly with a pal based at Brighton. Obviously a trip not to be undertaken lightly and you need to be sure of your range and lots of other things, but the destination is rather more interesting than Littlehampton /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ever thought of getting an Esso map?

[/ QUOTE ]

A proper raggie would have recommended a pilot book!

gjgm

Visit site
Make it a long w/e
Chichester harbour can be magical when it quietens down later evening-Northney Marina, and the hotel next door, if you want to upgrade for the night!
I ve never quite got the hang of Portsmouth...
Beaulieu river is also special for a quiet meander.
Lymington is a favourite. If you are lucky you can tie up on the town quay, and the local pub has showers for sailors. Two marinas, but they arent cheap!
Someone does a fee Solent guide (or did last year), with what to do and see..
Make a w/end of it , if not three days.
Just a tip though, if you arent used to it, there are a hell of alot of boats in the Solent, and quite a few sandbanks etc, so Id have a good read before hand, coz its alot easier getting into some of these places if you know where the water is !

SeaDave

Visit site
Thnaks guys - loads to be getting on with there!

Can't wait for the spring summer now. I'm getting itchy feet.

And adeolly - I'll look into Fecamp, I have a real hankering to go to France in her.

Elessar

Visit site
Fecamp as already suggested, and Dieppe is lovely. Both an overnight stop really but if you do IOW in a day you can go there I reckon, but why rush back?

SeaDave

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
what about up east?

You can come to the swale? or faversham?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good idea - never really considered going 'round like that but I shall. Cheers.

holderone

Visit site
Definatelly all the above and consider Fecamp as it will be your best adventure by far. Its a great place to visit for the day and the moorings are free for the first 4 hours out side the main marina. I have been over to Fecamp in a RIB with a range of 200 miles. I always carry extra fuel but as already pointed out its only 70 odd miles from Brighton. In flat calm conditions and with the throttle open most of the way I did it in 1 hour 40 minutes once. It amazes me that most people from Brighton are happy to go along the coast to Portsmouth which is further than going across to France. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

trying

Visit site
Trouble is the world might be your oyster but every one else and there wife are there, far too busy.