Submarining Tinker traveller (when towing)

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Having bought a second hand Tinker Traveller dinghy last year I’m really pleased with it, while heavier than our existing inflatable it rows and motors well and the kids love getting it rigged and sailing it, the only problem is towing the dinghy as the bow has a tendency to dig in and “submarine” the boat, this fills it with water which is obviously not great. For reference the we have the older style Tinker with a more “pointy” bow

Is there a trick I’m missing with towing it? I thought about towing backwards with the dinghy stern right up against the boat transom but I would need to fit strong U-bolt or two in the transom and the bow would still collect some water I expect.

The other alternative is to fit a large drain hole (or two) and live with the submarining Tinker but at least it will drain reasonably quickly.

Any thoughts as I can see us towing it quite a bit around the Solent over the coming years as the kids (and I) love messing about in it.

WayneS

Visit site
I always shorten the painter enough to have the bow of the tender lifted out of the water, even having is right up to the pushpit so that only the last bit of the dinghy is in the water.

Works as long as you do not have any sharps on the boat stern to puncture the tender though.

ninky

Visit site
I saw one of these recently when we were in Newton River (wasn't you was it?) and they look really great - love the idea of a stowable sailing dinghy. Not sure we have enough space on our boat for it though. Does it have more than one tow point? I wonder if it would help to have it on a bridle arrangement (and also take the pressure off the single point).

boguing

Visit site
I do what Wayne does. In strong winds and on a reach you may need to have a play with which side to tow from, and how high, because with the tender mostly in air, it is more prone to flip.

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
Having bought a second hand Tinker Traveller dinghy last year I’m really pleased with it, while heavier than our existing inflatable it rows and motors well and the kids love getting it rigged and sailing it, the only problem is towing the dinghy as the bow has a tendency to dig in and “submarine” the boat, this fills it with water which is obviously not great. For reference the we have the older style Tinker with a more “pointy” bow

Is there a trick I’m missing with towing it? I thought about towing backwards with the dinghy stern right up against the boat transom but I would need to fit strong U-bolt or two in the transom and the bow would still collect some water I expect.

The other alternative is to fit a large drain hole (or two) and live with the submarining Tinker but at least it will drain reasonably quickly.

Any thoughts as I can see us towing it quite a bit around the Solent over the coming years as the kids (and I) love messing about in it.

Several years ago we used to have a Tinker traveller and when towing it I would have to put the centre board in to stop water from coming up the slot and filling the dinghy which once it got heavy enough would then start to dig the bows in and submarine dive. A lesson learned the first time we tried towing it without the board in.

James_Calvert

Visit site
when towing it I would have to put the centre board in to stop water from coming up the slot and filling the dinghy

Our Tinker Tramp used to take in water through the centre-board slot when under power. The solution was to fix a thick flexible strip of plastic film over the bottom of the slot, which had a slit in it. The board could force its way through the slit when inserted into the slot. But the slit would close up again when the board was removed, and stopped the water intake.

Never noticed the problem when towing, perhaps the Tramp naturally tows more bows up than the Traveller. How about putting a weight in the stern?

William_H

Visit site
I wonder if you are attaching the painter to a cleat on the foredeck. Far better is to tow by an attachment well down the bow ie near water line. This will give more lift when towing and may be your problem. A large stainless steel saddle and bolts with big backing washers should be adequate through the bow. good luck olewill

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am using the standard painter attachment that is low-down and does lift the bow to some extent but being a heavy dinghy the bow does not lift up easily over the waves as my other light-weight Seago inflatable does.

Water does not appear to be coming up the centreboard case as it has the plastic/film cover with a slit down the centre as already suggested. The water getting into the boat is all from nosediving into a wave and them the boat being stable under the water creating a huge amount of drag while filling up the dinghy.

A couple of extra towing points, one on each side tube would make a good bridle towing arrangement and would take the pressure of the bow fitting, I’ll look into costs for this.

I think the simple answer is to live with it filling with water but fit a drain at the back. This would do the job I expect http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261256650...WAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_393wt_828

rob2

Visit site
All the suggestions may help, but inflatables are famous for misbehaving under tow. One other option which may help would be to get a cover to close off the open top so that it can't ship water. Some are available with a zipped section to accomodate an outboard, but I wouldn't leave an outboard on - too costly to replace after it's gone swimming!

Rob.

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Talking of cover, that was the next question, is the orange triangular sprayhood properly supported at its after end? when it is the water will usually run off and not into the dinghy

Mine has Red tubes and a Blue bow cover but yes, I have the cover support installed so the water is deflected when sailing/rowing the dinghy but it still nose dives when being towed.

William_H

Visit site

I am using the standard painter attachment that is low-down and does lift the bow to some extent but being a heavy dinghy the bow does not lift up easily over the waves as my other light-weight Seago inflatable does.

Water does not appear to be coming up the centreboard case as it has the plastic/film cover with a slit down the centre as already suggested. The water getting into the boat is all from nosediving into a wave and them the boat being stable under the water creating a huge amount of drag while filling up the dinghy.

A couple of extra towing points, one on each side tube would make a good bridle towing arrangement and would take the pressure of the bow fitting, I’ll look into costs for this.

I think the simple answer is to live with it filling with water but fit a drain at the back. This would do the job I expect http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261256650...WAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_393wt_828

I would think then that your towing point on the towing boat should be higher witha shorter painter so that there is a lot of pull upwards in the tow. Try towing from top of stern rail or even from a point up the backstay. good luck olewill

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
I have a Contessa 32 and Tinker and usually carry it inflated on deck ahead of the mast. If the transom is up close to the mast deck ring the anchor locker is still accessible.

Conor

picture here if this link works

Thanks Conor, I "think" you have a Tramp rather than the larger Traveller that I bought so I'm not sure it would fit on the deck of my Co32.

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
I have now fitted a large (40mm) drain hole in the transom for towing, with a screw on cap , this should deal with any water that collects. I will play with the towing heights next weekend.